(Proposal) Van-Nash

It's clear that The Canucks still need to ad push back to the line up.

Conor Garland (1.5 mil. retained) to Nashville for Yakov Trenin

They get a 40-50 point producer at a reduced price tag..

We get a bottom six forward who is not known to produce much points wise but, will bring plenty of physicality and will drop the gloves.

We also shave 1.7 million off the cap.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

His offensive skills never materialized but his defending is on point.  Then again, I said that about Suter and he's looked anemic so far.

image.png.10beabd192f899b8dd365955d3cea521.png

As a bottom six, there's a lot to like here, but he has racked up a surprising number of penalty minutes despite not fighting much (one tilt last season).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

We get a bottom six forward who is not known to produce much points wise but, will bring plenty of physicality and will drop the gloves.

Any deal that dumperoos our Smurf is a good one. Cleanse the Benning stains. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

Hoping we don’t need to retain that much, but he’s a great trade target that would make us harder to play against.

Looks like they’ve scratched Tomasino…so maybe a winger acquisition is imminent?

10 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

1:1 would be fine but retaining for just another bottom 6 doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have cap space and a pick. 

On 10/23/2023 at 9:00 AM, Huggy Bear said:

Hoping we don’t need to retain that much, but he’s a great trade target that would make us harder to play against.

Looks like they’ve scratched Tomasino…so maybe a winger acquisition is imminent?

I'd prefer not to retain anything myself but, if a trade happens before next off season, salary retention would seem necessary. 

If management was willing to wait till the offseason, however....

On 10/23/2023 at 2:25 PM, Komodo0921 said:

I like this trade idea a lot but I can't see Nashville accepting this.  Who knows though.......

I do like the idea of Trenin playing on the 3rd line however and moving Suter to the wing.   

On 10/23/2023 at 12:24 AM, Miss Korea said:

His offensive skills never materialized but his defending is on point.  Then again, I said that about Suter and he's looked anemic so far.

image.png.10beabd192f899b8dd365955d3cea521.png

As a bottom six, there's a lot to like here, but he has racked up a surprising number of penalty minutes despite not fighting much (one tilt last season).

83% defending, 99% on the penalty kill.  He's perfect for the bottom six.  Suter has to play with Garland and Beauvillier, so his numbers won't look very good.  He is however at almost 60% in the faceoff circle, something he can control on his own.  So, give him a winger like Trenin and maybe Hoglander on the other side and our 3rd line automatically improves drastically and won't be a weak lin any longer...

• Cheers 1

Yeah I really like this proposal. Trenin is a good fit this season and for the future too.

I have seen some mention of Zadorov being interested in the Nucks too. Next season adding someone like Zadorov, plus another excellent bottom 6 player with size, like Noesen, would really balance this roster:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikheyev

DiGiuseppe Miller Boeser

Hoglander Suter Lafferty

Trenin Blueger Noesen

(Joshua/Podz)

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Cole

Soucy Friedman

(Hirose McWard)

Demko (DeSmith)

I really didn't want to have to retain on Garland. I wouldn't so much mind retaining in the first year, but would prefer to have him completely off the books after that point if possible. I mean, they'd be getting a debatable top 6 guy in return for ultimately a really strong 4th liner. (He's playing on the 3rd on the Preds, but I feel we have the better team and he's most likely be forth on ours). Frankly, I'd rather have Garland - but due to his salary and the fact he wants out, this at least gives us a guy in return we could utilize - if even if a lesser manner.

...and those pk numbers are quite excellent. The cherry on top to our revised penalty kill. 

I like it.

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

83% defending, 99% on the penalty kill.  He's perfect for the bottom six.  Suter has to play with Garland and Beauvillier, so his numbers won't look very good.  He is however at almost 60% in the faceoff circle, something he can control on his own.  So, give him a winger like Trenin and maybe Hoglander on the other side and our 3rd line automatically improves drastically and won't be a weak lin any longer...

And this is why the Preds don't do this trade; especially without retaining Gar's salary cap.

The Nucks want Trenen more than the Preds want Garland.  They will require a sweetener.

• Cheers 1