[Article] Canucks fans unite to defend Quinn Hughes against eastern media bias

RWJC

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that logic makes 0 sense what does EP scoring or not have to do with anything? players are playing the game for the SC?? or they are playing for individual trophies? 

we keep talking about eastern bias this eastern bias that.. looking at the winners of individual trophy.. the western conference have won more trophies than the east in the last 10 years. 

It’s about coverage, recognition, and respect for teams/players outside the centralized media market. That’s one of the constant complaints - that the NHL media world revolves around EST

And of course players play for individual recognition. Get your head out of your ass! You think the upper echelon of pro athletes don’t want to be revered as the premier in their sport?!? That’s what drives them to become what they are. Ignorant to think they are somehow above human nature. 

17 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I mentioned this on Reddit as well. I think it also doesn't help that Hughes plays for a pretty dogshit franchise as far as winning goes. If he were on any good team I think he'd have more recognition. The problem is we flat out haven't done enough to build around our studs and because of how bad we are he is getting overlooked. Petey gets a decent amount of respect, in some ways more than I think he deserves. But for some reason Hughes is vastly overlooked. Maybe it's cause he always looks so sad and not like an alien.

I hesitate to agree with you. But because our team historically has mostly been soft. Except for our 82 and 94 teams they had size and grit to back their shit up(*2011 we had the Sedin's) We don't have enough grit, especially in a tough playoff series.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

It’s about coverage, recognition, and respect for teams/players outside the centralized media market. That’s one of the constant complaints - that the NHL media world revolves around EST

And of course players play for individual recognition. Get your head out of your ass! You think the upper echelon of pro athletes don’t want to be revered as the premier in their sport?!? That’s what drives them to become what they are. Ignorant to think they are somehow above human nature. 

so you are telling me elite athlete will go out of their way so they can win an award?? so say if matthew is 1 goal away from winning the rocket richard but his team needs to win the game to make the playoff he's going to shoot the puck everytime he get it even if passing is the right play? if you win you win.. athlete ain't going to change their way they play just to get a recognition.. if that's the case then every nba player will just hog the ball and play for themselves just so they can get some individual recognition?

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so you are telling me elite athlete will go out of their way so they can win an award?? so say if matthew is 1 goal away from winning the rocket richard but his team needs to win the game to make the playoff he's going to shoot the puck everytime he get it even if passing is the right play? if you win you win.. athlete ain't going to change their way they play just to get a recognition.. if that's the case then every nba player will just hog the ball and play for themselves just so they can get some individual recognition?

your argument unfortunately displaces the fact that players compete against each other and themselves to prove a variety of things. Yes, to support their club in their pursuit. But also personal reasons: to earn respect and admiration, to establish hierarchy, to define their own personal career, and of course…to earn a larger contract. 

By your argument, you default to idealized thinking that a player is simply the sum of the parts of the team they play for and that their only intention is to support “the cause”.

Sorry, thats just not the case. 
I could give you thousands of examples of players who ultimately make decisions solely for themselves and their career. Shit, we see it every UFA season. 

Other recent examples:

Debrincat - requested a trade out of OTT because he didnt want to play second fiddle to B Tkachuk and instead wanted to prove he is a definite 1st liner and potentially elite player. He bet on himself. HIMSELF.

M. Tkachuk, Johnny Gaudreau - both players decided they wanted to make moves for their personal careers and to a degree hung their team out to dry in the process. In case you don’t remember, Gaudreau completely abandoned the Flames - the team who was willing to build their entire future around him and Tkachuk - out of a personal preference to play elsewhere. 

And in our situation - EP.

If the disposition of every player is as you say it is, then why hasn’t EP committed to a long term contract with us yet?!? It’s because he’s betting on himself despite however the team performs and will make a decision for his future depending on that. He’s essentially trying to establish/force the recognition as a premier player in the league. He feels he can accomplish that due to the confidence he has in himself - NOT THE CLUB. That’s the bet he’s currently making. 

You want another example?

Our long term captain - Bo Horvat - in the last year of his below market value deal, decided to forego coaching’s defensive requirements and play a mostly offense oriented game so that he could pad his stats in anticipation of UFA status. You don’t believe that was the case? Boudreau straight up called him out on it publicly. 

Regardless, you can believe what you want. I’m not trying to convince you to think otherwise. But one thing you should consider is who the article is about and what is said about him in relation to perception or rankings…

‘Wanting to be the best, it’s something that not every person strives for — but Quinn does.” — Coach Bruce Boudreau on Quinn Hughes

go to 8:38 of the video:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

your argument unfortunately displaces the fact that players compete against each other and themselves to prove a variety of things. Yes, to support their club in their pursuit. But also personal reasons: to earn respect and admiration, to establish hierarchy, to define their own personal career, and of course…to earn a larger contract. 

By your argument, you default to idealized thinking that a player is simply the sum of the parts of the team they play for and that their only intention is to support “the cause”.

Sorry, thats just not the case. 
I could give you thousands of examples of players who ultimately make decisions solely for themselves and their career. Shit, we see it every UFA season. 

Other recent examples:

Debrincat - requested a trade out of OTT because he didnt want to play second fiddle to B Tkachuk and instead wanted to prove he is a definite 1st liner and potentially elite player. He bet on himself. HIMSELF.

M. Tkachuk, Johnny Gaudreau - both players decided they wanted to make moves for their personal careers and to a degree hung their team out to dry in the process. In case you don’t remember, Gaudreau completely abandoned the Flames - the team who was willing to build their entire future around him and Tkachuk - out of a personal preference to play elsewhere. 

And in our situation - EP.

If the disposition of every player is as you say it is, then why hasn’t EP committed to a long term contract with us yet?!? It’s because he’s betting on himself despite however the team performs and will make a decision for his future depending on that. He’s essentially trying to establish/force the recognition as a premier player in the league. He feels he can accomplish that due to the confidence he has in himself - NOT THE CLUB. That’s the bet he’s currently making. 

You want another example?

Our long term captain - Bo Horvat - in the last year of his below market value deal, decided to forego coaching’s defensive requirements and play a mostly offense oriented game so that he could pad his stats in anticipation of UFA status. You don’t believe that was the case? Boudreau straight up called him out on it publicly. 

Regardless, you can believe what you want. I’m not trying to convince you to think otherwise. But one thing you should consider is who the article is about and what is said about him in relation to perception or rankings…

‘Wanting to be the best, it’s something that not every person strives for — but Quinn does.” — Coach Bruce Boudreau on Quinn Hughes

go to 8:38 of the video:

proving themselves and proving themselves so they can win a trophy is 2 different thing 

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

proving themselves and proving themselves so they can win a trophy is 2 different thing 

No it’s not. You have to perform to be perceived as the best in a specific category in order to win. Just like you have to perform in order to be perceived as the best when winning the Cup.  I’m not saying players solely play for themselves, but the simple truth is to a point they do so alongside playing for their jersey.
That’s said, they can’t always rely on their club dictating their future and earnings. That’s the individual’s responsibility. And the better you perform, the more you accolades you accomplish, the more you earn. 

Please listen to that convo in the video and you’ll understand better what I’m getting at. 

Edited by RWJC

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No it’s not. You have to perform to be perceived as the best in a specific category in order to win. Just like you have to perform in order to be perceived as the best when winning the Cup.  I’m not saying players solely play for themselves, but the simple truth is to a point they do so alongside playing for their jersey.
That’s said, they can’t always rely on their club dictating their future and earnings. That’s the individual’s responsibility. And the better you perform, the more you accolades you accomplish, the more you earn. 

Please listen to that convo in the video and you’ll understand better what I’m getting at. 

i'll listen to it later when i'm home. winning an individual award is just an icing on the cake and be rewarded for playing well it's a bonus it's not something they set out as a goal.. there's many factors in the hart the norris the vezina.. just coz u have the best stats doesn't = you win the award.. if eastern bias is as as big of a factor as you say it is.. then ovechkin should have won the hart over henrik in 2010.. he finished 3 points less with 10 less game played.. and was voted the mvp by his peers a whooping +45 highest goals per game goals created per game etc etc etc.. if the player wins the award it's an honor.. if they don't win it.. you think they are going to sit at home like us behind a keyboard crying about not winning an award or he lost the award coz of eastern bias?? the only award the canucks player have a realistic chance of winning is maybe a selke and a vezina.. or maybe the hart trophy if EP can somehow carry this team into the playoffs while pouring in 100+ points

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'll listen to it later when i'm home. winning an individual award is just an icing on the cake and be rewarded for playing well it's a bonus it's not something they set out as a goal.. there's many factors in the hart the norris the vezina.. just coz u have the best stats doesn't = you win the award.. if eastern bias is as as big of a factor as you say it is.. then ovechkin should have won the hart over henrik in 2010.. he finished 3 points less with 10 less game played.. and was voted the mvp by his peers a whooping +45 highest goals per game goals created per game etc etc etc.. if the player wins the award it's an honor.. if they don't win it.. you think they are going to sit at home like us behind a keyboard crying about not winning an award or he lost the award coz of eastern bias?? the only award the canucks player have a realistic chance of winning is maybe a selke and a vezina.. or maybe the hart trophy if EP can somehow carry this team into the playoffs while pouring in 100+ points

I understand all of this. I agree with some of your points but I also know for a fact that most pro players carry a personal ambition to prove something. Training camp is a prime example whereby a larger group of players compete against each other to not only make the roster, but determine where they will play and how munch TOI they receive. That dictates their potential for inducing success and a larger payday. Even in a cooperative effort, there are personal and individual desires and efforts. To deny that exists would be oblivious to what is involved in being a pro athlete. 

Anyway, no point in arguing this. 
I’ve been around enough pro athletes in a variety of sports to have first hand awareness of the variety of factors that motivate them. 

Thanks for the convo.

6 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Eastern media dosen't see a damn thing because puck drop is so late there. So screw them.

That’s the problem. And most of them admit it too.

1 hour ago, gwarrior said:

Eastern media dosen't see a damn thing because puck drop is so late there. So screw them.

Apparently the methodology is a combination of stars, data models, and surveying a certain number of GMs accoross the league. 

Dobb and Drance theorized what brought Hughes down was from the GM surveys. If that is true then you can't blame Eastern Media Bias here. 

• Like 1