[Article] Anthony Beauvillier needs a more prominent role with Canucks

RWJC

Would have rather received a pick instead of him but they probably had to move out cap, I thought he'd be a positive boost to the team but now he's mostly negative and verging on Garland cap-dump area.

Play him on the 3rd line or healthy scratch him, he's pretty useless either way to be honest, just got to ride out this season.

1 hour ago, RawkDrummer said:

I agree with those that we don't want to take any cap back on Beauvillier.

Time to move forward and get rid of all those who are unnecessary or being overpaid.

If we can move him by retaining 1/2 his salary at the TDL for a very late round pick that's probably the best we can do.

Kind of an ignorant article there.  The team finally gets Mik back and the 1st line is clicking again.

Why on earth would they replace Mik with streaky and one dimensional Beau?

Tocc is already reducing Kuze's toi due to his lack of defensive game, so Mik's presence is even

more important to the line.

The Canucks are trying to 'stick to the plan' and win games for a change.  Attempting to get Beau's

#s up is too chancy and not a priority for them.

Trades will come as we head into the winter months.  Beau's UFA contract will be easier to move

and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up on a rebuilding team that needs his speed and goals

in their top 6.

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

garland is not an excellent playmaker by any stretch.. he think of himself as one though and takes the puck and holds on to it way too long spinning his way along the board until he's easily pushed down and loses the puck.. he's been what's killing EP/kuz line.. and most of EP's 5v5 points.. is when he's not playing with garland. beauvillier was producing when he was with EP but i guess he got lazy defensively or something and tocchet took him off and he started to not produce again and tocchet never gave him a sniff on EP's line ever again not even in the preseason. now that mikehyev is back there's almost 0 chance he'll get to play there unless an injury. he's just gonna rot away 4.1mil cap space. 

There is a lot of material that suggests Conor Garland is criminally underutilized here in Vancouver.  In two seasons, he quietly accrued 62 assists and 32 goals, regardless of what line he was put on.  You are correct in that Garland believes himself to be a playmaker, and you are incorrect in that you think he isn't good at it.  Multiple articles have been written about his playdriving ability, stretching back to his Arizona years:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/deep-diving-conor-garland-is-a-puck-possession-powerhouse-4192960  *this article is particularly useful*

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/analytics-garland-canucks-5-on-5-production

image.png.0553cf3d808542511e27462ee4f2eaa1.png

image.png.fa56556bbf6a4eaff69fe6619901c02e.png

If nothing else, he is still contributing to the Canucks' scoring chances this year.  His primary linemates are indeed Kuzmenko and Pettersson.  Both skaters have put up better scoring metrics playing with Garland than without him.

Kuzmenko xGF%: 51.75 with Garland, 44.30 without

Pettersson xGF%: 52.72 with Garland, 37.50 without

Now, his power play production has been notably criticized repeatedly, and his ongoing struggles to find his role within the Canucks system is a legitimate concern.  But I do not think Garland is a poor player by any measure, and I'm pretty confident he will perform better on whatever team he gets traded to.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

garland is not an excellent playmaker by any stretch.. he think of himself as one though and takes the puck and holds on to it way too long spinning his way along the board until he's easily pushed down and loses the puck.. he's been what's killing EP/kuz line.. and most of EP's 5v5 points.. is when he's not playing with garland. beauvillier was producing when he was with EP but i guess he got lazy defensively or something and tocchet took him off and he started to not produce again and tocchet never gave him a sniff on EP's line ever again not even in the preseason. now that mikehyev is back there's almost 0 chance he'll get to play there unless an injury. he's just gonna rot away 4.1mil cap space. 

I really don't see it that way. The way I see it is our team is poorly constructed things are improving in small increments but we're very much a regular season team and at that pretty mediocre. We simply do not have the parts to compete in a 7 game series right now. IMO if one was to plunk Garland into a team built for the playoffs with some size and grit. He would look great. We should be moving guys who play soft. To a man I don't care how good you are we have Pete Hughes Miller Demko teams have won with less skill. I can handle some bad plays from guys  who are also carrying the weight of their scrotum. What I won't tolerate is guys doing the locomotion like their on a Sunday skate at Britannia waiting for the puck on their stick before they realize their in a hockey game. I wonder statistically if you considered drawing a penalty an assist when a goal is scored or quantified it another way how Garland would rank around the league?

I look at it like this.....

Kuzz/Brock there can be only 1

queen text GIF

the other guys. Keep 2

Mik 47g 13 hits. Someone tell him he's 6'3 but contributes in other ways pk etc. For his contract I consider him this mgmts Beagle (he cost too much but the team greatly suffers without him). 

Beauvellier Easily replaced redundant but nessicary in order to facilitate the trade. Contract expires so if he can't return anything you could basically consider him a free deadline rental. Maybe waive him and keep him in abby if no one takes him. 

Garland Small but firey contributes 5v5 and draws penalties. 

1 absolutely has to go. 

I thin we have what I would call positive redundancy in Laf, Suter, Beluger down the middle with Pete Miller I think we actually look pretty good. C was a point of weakkness to be concerned about post BO but I really feel we have made a net improvement especially when you consider Bo's contract and that we added Hronek. 

our problem is clearly with redundancy on the wing honestly though the key positions Top 4 D top 6 C and G. If your biggest problem is cap on the wing and a 4m cap penalty I think we have a better chance than if we were deficient in the other 3 areas. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, Miss Korea said:

There is a lot of material that suggests Conor Garland is criminally underutilized here in Vancouver.  In two seasons, he quietly accrued 62 assists and 32 goals, regardless of what line he was put on.  You are correct in that Garland believes himself to be a playmaker, and you are incorrect in that you think he isn't good at it.  Multiple articles have been written about his playdriving ability, stretching back to his Arizona years:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/deep-diving-conor-garland-is-a-puck-possession-powerhouse-4192960  *this article is particularly useful*

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/analytics-garland-canucks-5-on-5-production

image.png.0553cf3d808542511e27462ee4f2eaa1.png

image.png.fa56556bbf6a4eaff69fe6619901c02e.png

If nothing else, he is still contributing to the Canucks' scoring chances this year.  His primary linemates are indeed Kuzmenko and Pettersson.  Both skaters have put up better scoring metrics playing with Garland than without him.

Kuzmenko xGF%: 51.75 with Garland, 44.30 without

Pettersson xGF%: 52.72 with Garland, 37.50 without

Now, his power play production has been notably criticized repeatedly, and his ongoing struggles to find his role within the Canucks system is a legitimate concern.  But I do not think Garland is a poor player by any measure, and I'm pretty confident he will perform better on whatever team he gets traded to.

All the guy does us produce with his minutes.    Try's to do too much sometimes, but when you see who else he's playing with sometimes, pretty easy to understand why.    Haven't defended him as much as others, but have brought it up going to when he didn't get the same "bump" others did under Bruce.    Put him

on the first PP unit, and he's likely a 60 point guy.       If teams weren't all bumping up against the cap, he'd have a taker.   Beau at 50% retained and a third party retaining again...all I will say is look at the type of guys who teams want in the playoffs.    He'd had to at least show he can score on a third line, because he's not offering much else. 

We do have too much money tied up in the wings.    Beau was NYI cap dump, an unremarkable or underperforming roster player was always going to be part of Horvats return.    He's not terrible.  And at least is NHL caliber. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Beauvillier is the least of our worries. The Canucks have been looking to off load some salary for a couple years. Boeser,Garland, Beauvillier, Myers, Now people want to throw Kuzmenko in there. If the Canucks could have moved one of the wingers without taking on salary they would have done it already. In my opinion its a good thing to have a player that has not produced shuffled down the lineup and creating some competition for more minutes and a greater role. Its not managements job to move Beau up its his job. Reduced Ice time is a direct result of production. PDG has moved up because he has done what the coaching staff want of him.

Garland is a good offensive player his contract is above what he produces. Thank you JB. If we want to move on from him teams will want us to retain.

Last but not least why the heck would we move Kuzmenko unless someone offers an outrageous return. he started out slower this year but looking at what he did last season hes a scorer. Petey didnt have a great start last season either. We dont want to move him.

Enjoy the ride right now. I have watched this team for every season they have been in the league. This is a good team with a bit of a future. Watch the evolution. Enjoy the ride people.

Absolute waste of space this year. So far we've been one of the best teams in the league, a couple of romps which inflate everyone's stats, everyone is playing well including Myers at times, yet Beauvillier has 0 points in 7 games which is atrocious for a winger who doesn't hit or defend particularly well. NYI knew what they were doing when they sent him us, he was essentially a cap dump for them rather than positive value.

Waive him, send him down to Abby, bring up Bains and if he gets plucked off waivers, we're 4M lighter and heck, could even go out and sign Bear or make a play for a top-4 defenceman.