[GDT] Vancouver @ Nashville, Tuesday, October 24th, 6:15pt/9:15et, SNP, 650

Chickenspear

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

They're benefiting as the only 2 teams that are facing tired teams that played yesterday. At least the games tomorrow will have both teams on the back end of a back to back, no one to benefit from it, since both teams will be travelling to the game. 

My answer to your middle sentence; equity. Yes, jealous that Ottawa has had 5 straight home games, against weak opposition to start their season, meanwhile we have our annual 10+ day road trip facing cup contenders, most of which are well rested to face us. The league pushes agendas every year. Do you think it's a coincidence for example that Vegas only plays a single 2023 playoff team in their first 8 games?

I think you're making stuff up to suit your silly narrative because it upsets you that Ottawa has built up a good young player base, unlike our Canucks. Every team plays 41 home games and 41 away games. It's not unfair at all. All teams also face back to back games periodically. In fact New Jersey has the most this year followed closely by Ottawa tied for third. 

image.png.351f290d838b5df8135afedd4b0e8466.png

Vegas played Seattle to start the season, just recently played the Stars (Conference Finalist), and then the Jets. That's 3 playoff teams right there. Ottawa opened the season vs Carolina (Conference Finalist), beat the first place Flyers who beat us and Edmonton, played Tampa Bay, and lost to a surging 5-1 Red wings team.

Edited by Ribs
Personal attacks removed.

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

not according to frank corrado. he said  cole was an excelent 3rd pair d-man further up the line up, not so much.

He was an excellent top 4 guy in Tampa last year and has been solid for us in our top 4 so far this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

not according to frank corrado. he said  cole was an excelent 3rd pair d-man further up the line up, not so much.

I would say it depends on the style of play (structure) a team deploys. Just because he doesn't fit one team's top 4 doesn't mean he can't be effective in another team's top 4. Luke Schenn was almost run outta the league and then had a resurgence and got top 4 minutes for his style of play. That's just Frank Corrado's opinion and you know what they say about opinions. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

It's the NHL's version of RedZone. ESPN will flip through all of the games live and show every PP and goal in every game today. It's an interesting idea to me as I love NFL RedZone.

Heck ya. I hope it's a big success and we see it more in the future. Love me some NFL Sunday's as well.

Cheers,

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I would say it depends on the style of play (structure) a team deploys. Just because he doesn't fit one team's top 4 doesn't mean he can't be effective in another team's top 4. Luke Schenn was almost run outta the league and then had a resurgence and got top 4 minutes for his style of play. That's just Frank Corrado's opinion and you know what they say about opinions. 

Yeah, they're a lot like Marchands.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Who is krufrank? A comic guy makes sense because this doesn't seem realistic at all. I would jump for joy and the trade if that was on the table though.

10 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I'll take door #2. Fuck retention with term.

I don't like retention at all either but if it came down to it I would take it just to get him out the door and free up $3.4 mil. We're going to desperately need $$ during the $5 mil OEL buyout penalty.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Zaitsev is a UFA after this season. Free's up Garland's cap space for next season.

In the meantime, it gives us little cap space of (appox) $495,000 for the remainder of this year. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I don't like retention at all either but if it came down to it I would take it just to get him out the door and free up $3.4 mil. We're going to desperately need $$ during the $5 mil OEL buyout penalty.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think you're making stuff up to suit your silly narrative because it upsets you that Ottawa has built up a good young player base, unlike our Canucks. Every team plays 41 home games and 41 away games. It's not unfair at all. All teams also face back to back games periodically. In fact New Jersey has the most this year followed closely by Ottawa tied for third. 

Vegas played Seattle to start the season, just recently played the Stars (Conference Finalist), and then the Jets. That's 3 playoff teams right there. Ottawa opened the season vs Carolina (Conference Finalist), beat the first place Flyers who beat us and Edmonton, played Tampa Bay, and lost to a surging 5-1 Red wings team. Like what planet are you on? :frantic:

How is it possible that every comment you make is so utterly out to lunch?

Unless of course you're the weirdest type of troll out there.

You have no clue what you're talking about as usual. lol carry on. 🤣

Interesting take. So you think that a favorable schedule to start a season isn't an advantage at all? Starting 5 games at home (after an unfavorable matchup against Carolina on the road, sure), 2 of which are against tired teams, 4 of which weren't in the playoffs last year, isn't a favorable setup to start a season? On paper, who would have known that Philadelphia and the Wings were going to skyrocket, they were both projected anywhere from lotto teams to barely even a bubble team. 

Every team faces back to backs, yes. Most of the eastern conference doesn't even travel half of what teams like Dallas, Colorado, the albertan or california teams or Vancouver and Seattle do. There are 10 NHL teams within an hour, hour and a half plane ride from Ottawa (Buffalo, NY, NY, NJ, Boston, MTL, TO, Win off the top of my head). Most flights from Ottawa to western conference teams are less time than it would take the pacific coast teams. 

All this to say that the scheduling is incredibly weird. Vancouver starts off like every year on a double digit road trip, covering thousands of kilometers, where 80% of the teams faced have played in a conference final (2 of which have played a SC final) in the last 2 years. I just thought I was connecting dots on who was getting the advantage early in the season, and saw that NJ and Ottawa have a lot in common in marketability. 

Now tell me, do Ottawa ever play 2 back to backs separated by 2 days, with 4000 km of distance to be travelled? We do in november... That stretch actually turns out to be 10 games in 16 days, covering nearly 10000 km of travelling. 

Yes, I'm jealous that teams get beneficial schedules at pivotal parts of the season. The start of the season has been one of our biggest hurdles the past decade, and we've been behind the 8 ball trying to play catch up all year as a result. Seeing some teams getting that advantage makes me envy them. 

For the bolded part; Tampa was on the back end of a back to back, Philadelphia was projected to be a lottery team this year, and Detroit was projected to not make the playoffs. I know that you're on a planet filled with 20/20 hindsight, but that's a favorable start to a year on paper, especially considering that those 3 games were all at home. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Option 2 also gets him out the door and saves us $4.95 million per season moving forward....it also frees up Myers's 6 million cap hit this season.  

However, Myers has a 10 team no trade list and could veto the trade. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Who is krufrank? A comic guy makes sense because this doesn't seem realistic at all. I would jump for joy and the trade if that was on the table though.

Stuck with 2 extra seasons paying $1.6 million for a 2nd round pick back. I mean we'd save $3.3 million. That's still kinda steep.

However in Abby in 4 games Bains has 7 points, Aman and Podz has 5, Karlsson has 4. Wolanin has 6 points (all assists), and Woo has 3, and McWard has 2.

Unsure about Friedman with 2nd line minutes--he's okay, but not overly impressive to me so far. We'll see if he's any better than Myers.

Also, this game should start almost right as I get home today. Great timing!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Vegas played Seattle to start the season, just recently played the Stars (Conference Finalist), and then the Jets. That's 3 playoff teams right there. Ottawa opened the season vs Carolina (Conference Finalist), beat the first place Flyers who beat us and Edmonton, played Tampa Bay, and lost to a surging 5-1 Red wings team. Like what planet are you on? :frantic:

How is it possible that every comment you make is so utterly out to lunch?

Unless of course you're the weirdest type of troll out there.

You have no clue what you're talking about as usual. lol carry on. 🤣

I disagree with the bolded statement, other stuff don’t care.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Glad to see Hoglander back in the lineup, but wish he'd get more premium minutes. He's looked pretty decent in his games to me. Honestly, I'd rather scratch Beauvillier at this point than Studnicka. Studs fits better on the 4th line anyway.

Also agree that we should call up Wolanin to be 3LD. Move Soucy to 2RD and just deal with having two lefties on the 2nd pair. Have Myers and Friedman duke it out for the 3RD spot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Glad to see Hoglander back in the lineup, but which he'd get more premium minutes. He's looked pretty decent in his games to me. Honestly, I'd rather scratch Beauvillier at this point than Studnicka. Studs fits better on the 4th line anyway.

Also agree that we should call up Wolanin to be 3LD. Move Soucy to 2RD and just deal with having two lefties on the 2nd pair. Have Myers and Friedman duke it out for the 3RD spot.

So....you're saying bench Myers the rest of the way. 😉