[GDT] Vancouver @ Nashville, Tuesday, October 24th, 6:15pt/9:15et, SNP, 650

Chickenspear

15 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

I disagree with the bolded statement, other stuff don’t care.

Don't worry, you're not missing out on much. He's disliked me since before this site existed, and honestly believes that starting the year at home 5 games in a row against 4 non-playoff teams, 2 of which are on the back end of a back-to-back, is the same as starting on a 5 game road trip, 4 games against teams that have went to the conference finals in the last 2 years. 

Preferential treatment via scheduling doesn't exist in his eyes, and that's why Vegas is currently 6-0-0 having played one good team so far, and having played all 3 lottery teams. Clearly to him this isn't so that they can market Vegas as the "greatest start for a cup winning team" like they've been doing the past week.. it's not marketing, it's completely fair and just a complete coincidence. Just like having Ottawa and NJ benefit tonight playing against tired opposition, isn't an easy marketing strategy to highlight 2 young teams with speed. It's just a coincidence to that troll

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Jake Johnson Work GIF by HBO Max

Yeah lets hope they blow another 2 goal lead and have to survive the 3rd....look scary there in the 3rd against the FLorida...

If Demko is in net, then the hockey gods will make the Giraffe do stupid things ..I swear Demer deserves better...they have wasted thus some stellar performances already

The Preds are no easy beats, and the Nucks are at the end of their road trip...so my predication is a high likely hood that they will come out strong but fade in the 3rd...Demko will stand on his head again but they will lose in OT... GCG 

46 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wouldn't trust this source, I recognize this twitter handle and its really just someone that bought a blue checkmark, but isn't an actual hockey insider. This person just has a lot of hockey takes, but not a credible person at all. 

Apologies, should’ve clarified. I know the source isn’t great but I figured it’d be good for discussion. Hence why I didn’t put it in the rumour thread. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Apologies, should’ve clarified. I know the source isn’t great but I figured it’d be good for discussion. Hence why I didn’t put it in the rumour thread. 

Well, I  learned a few things, like what these players stats etc are like, so it has benefited me.

Is Zaitsev done?  Anything left in the tank?  Chicago seems to want to be clear of him.

Garland and Myers? Don't see Chicago wanting either or both, but wtv.

With the way management has been picking, getting our 2nd back has considerable value.

52 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Interesting take. So you think that a favorable schedule to start a season isn't an advantage at all? Starting 5 games at home (after an unfavorable matchup against Carolina on the road, sure), 2 of which are against tired teams, 3 of which weren't in the playoffs last year, isn't a favorable setup to start a season? On paper, who would have known that Philadelphia and the Wings were going to skyrocket, they were both projected anywhere from lotto teams to barely even a bubble team. 

Every team faces back to backs, yes. Most of the eastern conference doesn't even travel half of what teams like Dallas, Colorado, the albertan or california teams or Vancouver and Seattle do. There are 10 NHL teams within an hour, hour and a half plane ride from Ottawa (Buffalo, NY, NY, NJ, Boston, MTL, TO, Win off the top of my head). Most flights from Ottawa to western conference teams are less time than it would take the pacific coast teams. 

All this to say that the scheduling is incredibly weird. Vancouver starts off like every year on a double digit road trip, covering thousands of kilometers, where 80% of the teams faced have played in a conference final (2 of which have played a SC final) in the last 2 years. I just thought I was connecting dots on who was getting the advantage early in the season, and saw that NJ and Ottawa have a lot in common in marketability. 

Now tell me, do Ottawa ever play 2 back to backs separated by 2 days, with 4000 km of distance to be travelled? We do in november... That stretch actually turns out to be 10 games in 16 days, covering nearly 10000 km of travelling. 

Yes, I'm jealous that teams get beneficial schedules at pivotal parts of the season. The start of the season has been one of our biggest hurdles the past decade, and we've been behind the 8 ball trying to play catch up all year as a result. Seeing some teams getting that advantage makes me envy them. 

For the bolded part; Tampa was on the back end of a back to back, Philadelphia was projected to be a lottery team this year, and Detroit was projected to not make the playoffs. I know that you're on a planet filled with 20/20 hindsight, but that's a favorable start to a year on paper, especially considering that those 3 games were all at home. 

Well this frankly just sounds like a lot of non-sensical whining about nothing. It's an incredibly uniformed notion without any thought whatsoever put into it.

Has it ever occurred to you that Vancouver has more travel because they're further away from everybody else? Like grade 4 geography dude. It's pretty hard to make Vancouver travel less, unless you know maybe you can move the city of Vancouver to the East Coast so it's closer to most of the teams. 🤭 :picard: [Super facepalm]

Newsflash, all the teams in the NHL are good and can beat anybody on any given night. In addition:

Each team plays 26 divisional games, 24 intra-conference games, and 32 inter-conference games, resulting in every team in the league playing every other team at least twice.

The scheduling is very evenly spread out and fairly uniform for each team made unique only by the division and then Conference they are part of. Ottawa didn't have a weirdly easy schedule, neither did Vegas, and neither did the Devils playing the Wings, Panthers, and Islanders in 3 out of their 4 games. Like seriously do you think at all before you type this stuff?

Your back to back stuff is also non-sense. Lots of teams will be on the wrong side of that one during the year.

The reason we've been playing catch up is because we lost a lot of hockey games to start the last two seasons, not because of scheduling. Why on earth you would care about Ottawa or New Jersey's schedule is baffling. Perhaps try doing some more research before posting these overly flawed posts.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Well this frankly just sounds like a lot of non-sensical whining about nothing. It's an incredibly uniformed notion without any thought whatsoever put into it.

Has it ever occurred to you that Vancouver has more travel because they're further away from everybody else? Like grade 4 geography dude. It's pretty hard to make Vancouver travel less, unless you know maybe you can move the city of Vancouver to the East Coast so it's closer to most of the teams. 🤭 :picard: [Super facepalm]

Newsflash, all the teams in the NHL are good and can beat anybody on any given night. In addition:

Each team plays 26 divisional games, 24 intra-conference games, and 32 inter-conference games, resulting in every team in the league playing every other team at least twice.

The scheduling is very evenly spread out and fairly uniform for each team made unique only by the division and then Conference they are part of. Ottawa didn't have a weirdly easy schedule, neither did Vegas, and neither did the Devils playing the Wings, Panthers, and Islanders in 3 out of their 4 games. Like seriously do you think at all before you type this stuff?

Your back to back stuff is also non-sense. Lots of teams will be on the wrong side of that one during the year.

The reason we've been playing catch up is because we lost a lot of hockey games to start the last two seasons, not because of scheduling. Why on earth you would care about Ottawa or New Jersey's schedule is baffling. Perhaps try doing some more research before posting these overly flawed posts.

I skimmed through you response and instantly saw that you didn't even read my post. The research is there. The scheduling is "fair" to you but we've played contenders 4 times (and started on a 5 game road trip spanning 5000 kilometers) and vegas has played lottery teams 3 times. Ottawa after tonight will have started the year having played teams on back ends of back to backs twice, and been home to 4 non-playoff teams on a 5 game homestand. 

The start of the season matters and has an impact on the entire season and you can already tell some teams have favorable schedules, such as NJ, Ottawa and Vegas. It's all right there in front of you. Open your eyes, open your mind, and allow the discussion to be had on a discussion board. You don't have to be so petty and whiny.

42 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Odd start time. Why not 6 or 6:30? Yeah I know it's because of ESPN being stupid.

Virtually every game is staggered by 15 minutes to help the war room in TO.  So when each game is in the last minutes they don't have to over work to do all the manditory reviews.

EDIT:  the first game and the last three are not staggered by the 15 minutes, the other 12 are.

Edited by DANJR

50 minutes ago, DANJR said:

Virtually every game is staggered by 15 minutes to help the war room in TO.  So when each game is in the last minutes they don't have to over work to do all the manditory reviews.

EDIT:  the first game and the last three are not staggered by the 15 minutes, the other 12 are.

I get it. I just don't like it. And would this not have made more sense to do this on, oh I don't know maybe Saturday, instead of a random Tuesday?

2 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I get it. I just don't like it. And would this not have made more sense to do this on, oh I don't know maybe Saturday, instead of a random Tuesday?

actually it would have made more sense if there was more than 2 games actually shown on tv. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Sunday - 2 games

Monday - 1 game

Today - 16 games

Tomorrow - 1 game

Pretty dumb if you ask me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

They had 15 games on last Saturday, but you’d think they’d stagger them more out during the week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

actually it would have made more sense if there was more than 2 games actually shown on tv. 

The Hockey Guy has a good video on it -  restrictions are only in Canada, 'cos here we have regional coverage, hence blackouts.  If you are in the US you can see all 16 games