[PGT] Canucks @ Predators

Jim McMahon

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He was Cloutier and sometimes Luongo in reverse.  Almost like he had to let a real softy in just to get his game face on.    Luongo had a big game issue at times for sure. 

To be fair, Cloutier never got serious consideration for the Vezina unlike Markstrom.  The later tends to fall apart playing a ton of games in a season (needs game management).  Luongo could play a TON of games but seemed to wilt at pressure moments.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There is whatever they are selling you, and what they sell in Ireland.   There is a reason why it's a "prescribed" beverage, better for you than most hospital food.   Get what you're saying, but like any beverage brand, it's usually better depending on where it's brewed.  And doesn't taste like it used too, even with the "nitrogen" bling added.    Best coke in the world is from Mexico.   Because they are only ones still using the original recipe, and even the "Mexican Coke", made from cane sugar and not corn syrup, that you can buy in the store, isn't the same either.  

For sure you can find something better.  But it's pretty good for a mass produced brand too.  

That's true. I mean obviously if I was in Ireland I'd be drinking that and actually going to the Guinness factory, but here it's just meh for me. I'm not saying not to enjoy it of course because people like what they like, but for me it's ok.

Cheers to the Canucks win!

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, Cloutier never got serious consideration for the Vezina unlike Markstrom.  The later tends to fall apart playing a ton of games in a season (needs game management).  Luongo could play a TON of games but seemed to wilt at pressure moments.

Markstrom had one good season for us.   In 20-30 years people won't be talking about him much.    Serious with us?  I guess but ... Cloutier also had 7, and I remember this was the year he was supposed to finally click for us, 7 shutouts yet Markstrom almost set a new record for all goaltenders, all-time before he finally got one.   Personally and know this might rub some people the wrong way, wasn't a big fan.   Agree with his opponents, he's just a big goalie that covers a lot of net.   Irbe and Vernon, Broduer and Beezer, and Ricther (hate to say that but yes true) were so much better at their craft.    There is a big difference between making a save, sucking in a puck, and punting a rebound to D's stick to help the outlet pass, and being big in a net.   Markstrom did let in softies.    Muffins.  Also know he didn't have much support either.  

Most NHL goalies, especially starters, can win a game all on their own.   He did.   But and there is a but, aside look at his career totals.   I think he's done.   Ben Bishop 2.0, actually not there yet. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Markstrom had one good season for us.   In 20-30 years people won't be talking about him much.    Serious with us?  I guess but ... Cloutier also had 7, and I remember this was the year he was supposed to finally click for us, 7 shutouts yet Markstrom almost set a new record for all goaltenders, all-time before he finally got one.   Personally and know this might rub some people the wrong way, wasn't a big fan.   Agree with his opponents, he's just a big goalie that covers a lot of net.   Irbe and Vernon, Broduer and Beezer, and Ricther (hate to say that but yes true) were so much better at their craft. 

Cloutier had the most lethal scoring line in front of him and a far better blueline (Jovo & Ohlunds in their prime).  

I hope in 10 years I can forget about the Markstrom years as it'll mean forgetting the horrible Benning years as well.😋

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Garland is so underrated and if that 3rd line with Suter and Joshua can keep going like that it’s going to cause problems.

I understand opening up that 5 mil next year would be nice - but if we’re having to retain anything I’d hope they prioritize other means of carving out space.  

Beauvillier, for example, can simply walk and Myers’ 6 mil will be gone as well.

Good content as usual, .. but .. are you advocating keeping Garland?

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Cloutier had the most lethal scoring line in front of him and a far better blueline (Jovo & Ohlunds in their prime).  

I hope in 10 years I can forget about the Markstrom years as it'll mean forgetting the horrible Benning years as well.😋

Not a good comp.  Point is, even Cloutier managed a few shutouts.   Don't want to pick on Markstrom but can now he's not part of the club anymore.   Not sure what one very good season with us makes any difference.   We've had others, even Dan Cloutier!

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I admit I haven't watched all the games in entirety so far this season... but have Suter and Soucy done much to impress you???

Suter's defensive work is solid, but he's done very little offensively. Soucy is about what I expected, a capable 3rd pairing D, but can struggle sometimes with too high a level of competition.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder if Garland starts producing more, moving like the fiendish puck demon he was in the last minute of play yesterday, he might rescind his request. 

I don't think Garland actually requested a trade. The Canucks simply allowed him and his agent to look for opportunities. More of a "we'd be okay if you want to move on from us..." *nudge* *nudge*

I suspect Garland wouldn't mind staying on the team but the Canucks management wants to move on. I'd rather move Beauvillier, as he seems the far less valuable player, but then, he might be harder to move. His contract is much shorter though (pending UFA), so it wouldn't get us out of as much in the long term.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Whoever made the dumbass pass that led to the turnover and started the 3 on 2, that's who to blame.

Can't remember who, but I was cussing him out as soon as it happened.

I think it was Lafferty but not 100% sure atm

• Thanks 1

Very simple..A Bouvelier is an acceptable complementary player but he drives nothing...Garland is as noted earlier can be a nightmare...watch how he ends his shifts on the ice..one of the only players who does not glide in....busts his rear to get off the off quickly for the change.  We need that. Last minute face down on the stomach reach out with his stick to deflect the puck out with 10 seconds left in the game shows me he is the kind of player I want on this time.  He has his place, he needs to be deployed the right way.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Suter's defensive work is solid, but he's done very little offensively. Soucy is about what I expected, a capable 3rd pairing D, but can struggle sometimes with too high a level of competition.

Well... still early into the season but I really expected Suter to help out the 3rd line offensively as an effective 2-way centre....

As for Soucy..... I thought we paid him $3M+ to be much better than just a 3rd paring D.... every time I saw him play, he just wasn't physical and decisve enough.... let's hope he's not gonna turn out to be another tall Myers

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Well... still early into the season but I really expected Suter to help out the 3rd line offensively as an effective 2-way centre....

As for Soucy..... I thought we paid him $3M+ to be much better than just a 3rd paring D.... every time I saw him play, he just wasn't physical and decisve enough.... let's hope he's not gonna turn out to be another tall Myers

Fortunately, Soucy is paid a lot less than Myers and the contract is two years shorter. That said, I think it already looks very likely that we overpaid him. A lot of hype and hope that he'd be a top 4 D that was unfortunately pretty unfounded dreams.

• Like 1