[PGT] Canucks @ Predators

Jim McMahon

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

I understand opening up that 5 mil next year would be nice - but if we’re having to retain anything I’d hope they prioritize other means of carving out space.  

Beauvillier, for example, can simply walk and Myers’ 6 mil will be gone as well.

I hear this fairly often but I think it's a fallacy of sorts. Beauvillier and Myers falling off the books are necessary just to keep the boat afloat. We need two RD plus Petterson and Hronek's contract's are up, and that's in addition to the OEL hit.

People always say the cap will be fine yet every year we struggle with it and end up short in cap space. This year was obviously no different and next year will be more of the same. If we want to improve the team the money has to come from somewhere.

That's Garland, Boeser, Mik, or Kuzmenko. Take your pick, otherwise we're pretty much stuck rolling out the same team unless we want to trade Petey, Hughes, Demko, or Miller.

Personally I find Garland to be the most expendable of the 4.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

When I first fell in love with hockey and became a 'Nucks fan, way back when, shortly after our first run at the cup vs the Islanders in the early 80's, we had very few games on tv and had to do most on NW98 with Robson and Larscheid. Sports Page at 11 with Donny was a nightly highlight to catch up on the team and the rest of 'the world of sports'.

Definitely long overdue recognition

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, DANJR said:

anyone but me notice how pissed off Petey was after the game?  He took forever to get to the congrats line and barely touched Demko.  Kinda crazy.

Earlier in the thread people were talking about the Hronek trade.
I will still publicly state we over paid by a huge margin.  I will only ever change my stance if we lock him down with at least a 5 year contract and not over pay that.
A first round pick for 100 guaranteed games, and the rights to his next contract - be it one year or 10  (and we lost out 20 of those first 100 games)
Hopefully we do nail him down, especially if the team keeps rollin like this.  If he signs a really short contract, it's a huge bust.  Time will tell.

Still an RFA so team has a solid chance resigning

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I hear this fairly often but I think it's a fallacy of sorts. Beauvillier and Myers falling off the books are necessary just to keep the boat afloat. We need two RD plus Petterson and Hronek's contract's are up, and that's in addition to the OEL hit.

People always say the cap will be fine yet every year we struggle with it and end up short in cap space. This year was obviously no different and next year will be more of the same. If we want to improve the team the money has to come from somewhere.

That's Garland, Boeser, Mik, or Kuzmenko. Take your pick, otherwise we're pretty much stuck rolling out the same team unless we want to trade Petey, Hughes, Demko, or Miller.

Personally I find Garland to be the most expendable of the 4.

Except that they actually appear to have some younger D-Men that could step into the 5/6 spots now. If they add one more legit top 4 RHD, keep Cole or similar, and get a young Dman stepping up, cap could be in a decent spot for the first time in a while

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

When was the last time you could say the Canucks had 2 superstar centres?  Kesler was a great 2nd line centre but he never got close to 99 points in his best years.  We've never had a Quinn Hughes on our defence and if both Boeser and Kuzmenko can get 30+ goals and if our goaltending can keep up this standard why can't the Canucks win a cup? I know a lot 9f things have to go right and I know our Defence and our bottom 6 are stIll a work in progress, but I've always thought we had the pieces.  We have players coming too, not right now but soon. Podkolzin and Bains are so close and Lekkerimäki, Willander, Brzustewicz and D-Petey are on their way.  I just hope when we enter our window Miller isn't on his decline.  He shows no signs of slowing down right now though.  He's been arguably our #1 centre thIs year.  Contracts like Myers, Garland and Beauvillier need to be sorted out but I feel a really dominant team is just beyond the horizon.

next year

will Willander replace Myers?

will Bains replace Garland?

will Podkolzin replace Beauvillier?  

I think it's mighty optimistic to think Willander will already be in the NHL next year.

Bains is a fun player, but I pretty seriously doubt he can be a 50-point guy like Garland.

Podz for Beauvillier is the most realistic replacement on your list, as Beau has 0 points in 6 games and Podz is already ripping it up in Abby this year.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As long as we're not expecting a crazy return.

I'm assuming 3rd or 4th rounder at best. If the team can get a 2nd rounder for him that would be a steal.

It would maybe be dumb to trade him right now, but over $4M for 0 points in 6 games might barely even be worth a 7th rounder, given how valuable cap space is these days.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think it's mighty optimistic to think Willander will already be in the NHL next year.

Bains is a fun player, but I pretty seriously doubt he can be a 50-point guy like Garland.

Podz for Beauvillier is the most realistic replacement on your list, as Beau has 0 points in 6 games and Podz is already ripping it up in Abby this year.

Offence has never been the problem for the Canucks. Bains doesn't have to score 50 points on the 3rd line if the team is playing solid team defence.  And yeah it's optimistic but considering where the team was only 2 years ago and seeing where they are now. The trajectory is a skyrocket upwards. I can see Willander playing games this season in the last 10 games depending on how far BU go in their playoffs.  And for Willander it's not about points it's about can you replace Myers in the top 6?

4 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Offence has never been the problem for the Canucks. Bains doesn't have to score 50 points on the 3rd line if the team is playing solid team defence.  And yeah it's optimistic but considering where the team was only 2 years ago and seeing where they are now. The trajectory is a skyrocket upwards. I can see Willander playing games this season in the last 10 games depending on how far BU go in their playoffs.  And for Willander it's not about points it's about can you replace Myers in the top 6?

While I feel this used to be true, I don't have any firm stats on this but the modern NHL is more of 3 scoring lines, one of which can play defence and a 4th line that doesn't get buried.  While Bains doesn't have to put up 50 points, I think 30+ is the new 3rd line expectation.  

• Upvote 1

The new NHL or what it has become should allow goalies to play the puck 8n corners again.

How many goalie passes on PP's anr such have we seen in the past we don't ser now.

Plus more goalie empty net goals and more breakaway goals.

Make penalties for covering up the puck to far out.

Plus miss plays by goalies was always fun to watch.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

When was the last time you could say the Canucks had 2 superstar centres?  Kesler was a great 2nd line centre but he never got close to 99 points in his best years.  We've never had a Quinn Hughes on our defence and if both Boeser and Kuzmenko can get 30+ goals and if our goaltending can keep up this standard why can't the Canucks win a cup? I know a lot 9f things have to go right and I know our Defence and our bottom 6 are stIll a work in progress, but I've always thought we had the pieces.  We have players coming too, not right now but soon. Podkolzin and Bains are so close and Lekkerimäki, Willander, Brzustewicz and D-Petey are on their way.  I just hope when we enter our window Miller isn't on his decline.  He shows no signs of slowing down right now though.  He's been arguably our #1 centre thIs year.  Contracts like Myers, Garland and Beauvillier need to be sorted out but I feel a really dominant team is just beyond the horizon.

next year

will Willander replace Myers?

will Bains replace Garland?

will Podkolzin replace Beauvillier?  

Lol.  Kesler won the Selke.  And at five million a year meant you could spend more on other players.   

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Oiler fans giving up on team and abandoning their players at the lowest possible time is something I hope we don't do in Vancouver.

When times are tough the team needs to rally around their fans not have people walk out on them like Oiler fans.

Screenshot_20231025_163649_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Except that they actually appear to have some younger D-Men that could step into the 5/6 spots now. If they add one more legit top 4 RHD, keep Cole or similar, and get a young Dman stepping up, cap could be in a decent spot for the first time in a while

Right now? I don't know about that and while they might they also might not. I'll admit I'am pretty conservative though and try to plan for the most likely and the worst cases, especially considering the last couple years. We haven't gotten any breaks really as the league is tight financially.

I would guess a 2nd RD and a 3rd RD will cost anywhere from $4 - $8 mil depending on whether we're looking at adding a bonafide partner for Hughes or not. Even a half ass D is probably about $4 plus $1 for a young guy.

Cole is actually a LD though and he will need to be re-signed at the same $ most likely or we need to find another top 4 LD as well. No savings there. Soucy is already signed at $3 mil so it doesn't really help at all for a young guy to step into a #5 role. Best case scenario is we probably save $2 - $3 mil on Myers replacement next year but we also have Petey, Hronek, and OEL to pay for within two years. $4.5 mil next year and $8 mil in two years. Pods will also be up then as well.

It definitely looks like we'll be in better shape then we have though I agree but I personally think it's going to be just as tight regardless and I think our forward wingers are currently lacking an impact player too.

I haven't run the numbers myself but the ones who have reported it looks a little bleak. Something crazy like $13 mil to sign 9 players.

Does anyone have a breakdown on what our cap is looking like in 1 year or 2 years?

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Right now? I don't know about that and while they might they also might not. I'll admit I'am pretty conservative though and try to plan for the most likely and the worst cases, especially considering the last couple years. We haven't gotten any breaks really as the league is tight financially.

I would guess a 2nd RD and a 3rd RD will cost anywhere from $4 - $8 mil depending on whether we're looking at adding a bonafide partner for Hughes or not. Even a half ass D is probably about $4 plus $1 for a young guy.

Cole is actually a LD though and he will need to be re-signed at the same $ most likely or we need to find another top 4 LD as well. No savings there. Soucy is already signed at $3 mil so it doesn't really help at all for a young guy to step into a #5 role. Best case scenario is we probably save $2 - $3 mil on Myers replacement next year but we also have Petey, Hronek, and OEL to pay for within two years. $4.5 mil next year and $8 mil in two years. Pods will also be up then as well.

It definitely looks like we'll be in better shape then we have though I agree but I personally think it's going to be just as tight regardless and I think our forward wingers are currently lacking an impact player too.

I haven't run the numbers myself but the ones who have reported it looks a little bleak. Something crazy like $13 mil to sign 9 players.

Does anyone have a breakdown on what our cap is looking like in 1 year or 2 years?

We are winning the Cup this year or next do go heck with all that caperolla stuff. 

• Haha 2