[PGT] Canucks @ Predators

Jim McMahon

18 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

If by getting back in it, you mean allowed 1 goal in the third. A lot of NHL teams are going to be in trouble. That was a classic road win

No, I mean allow the other team to press without getting much going offensively themselves. In both the last two games they looked like they took their foot off the gas in the third.

But I am very happy with the win. It was a good win. And judging from the first two periods of both the last two games I think they could be winning these games in even more convincing fashion.

only 6 pages i noticed... in homage of the trolls of past i created a troll video of jay woodcroft, hopefully the video can provide a place for them to be themselves and also provide us with a little fun as we are currently kicking da oilers buts right now... you can check my latest status update for the video i made

Missed most of the game but from what people are saying, this was not the most exciting contest.  Since this season is ALL about wins, very happy with the final result - guess the only question was how Petey could have missed the two empty netters at the end. Lets save it for the upcoming games then.

I see Vegas marginally beat the Flyers at home in a pretty competitive contest - maybe we weren't as bad as first thought against Philly last week as the Flyers seem to be a pretty competitive team at this moment against most teams - even the champs. 

Great boring road game all around, this hard forecheck is a lot more exciting than how the defensive Tampa played a few years ago but it brings similar results - hard to get through the neutral zone, low shots against and really slows down the opposition. It's boring but it gets wins, as opposed to Toronto and Edmonton's run and gun styles which you can see work well sometimes but not always.

Everyone bought into Rick's system tonight, all the forward lines rolled perfectly. Mikheyev brings a lot to the top line we've been lacking. Miller's line was great again and no surprise PDG with another huge goal. Yet again, Hughes with a good point shot and it leads to the GWG. Not much has been said about Hoglander but that was a great tip, he's quietly putting up some points with 4th line minutes here.

On defence, monster game by Hronek who logs 27 minutes, Hughes again was everywhere but we can't ride this pairing all year like this. I thought Cole was solid and invisible which is a good thing, but boy did Myers and Soucy get shredded. They were alright on the whole but those two goals against didn't look good, especially for Soucy. We've got to remember he's a bottom pairing guy and now he's got to cover for Myer's mistakes. Cole did that job well but Soucy lacks that quality. This D will be a lot better when Myers is gone but got to blame Soucy on the first goal against entirely (although he had very little support there and got swarmed - you could argue where were the forwards on defending both goals). 

Regardless, a very tidy road win. 17 shots against, perfect on the PK and never looked like we were going to lose this one. 

4-2-0 to start the season is very solid considering how badly our rivals are doing so got to keep above 0.500 because I think it'll be hard for those teams to catch up.

• Upvote 1

Finally, this felt like a complete 60 min effort. One bad turnover made this game closer than it shouldve been, but we survive with a big win under our belts.

Rough night for Miller, I loved the effort out there tonight, but he was fighting the puck hard. It felt like every pass and every shot was just slightly off. Still, every player has those games and like I said, the effort was there.

Petey had a solid game, good at both ends. I felt he was a little quiet, but he had his chances. Very impressed with Petey's all around improvement this year. 

Giuseppe finally gets his first of the year! He deserved that one and I feel he will get plenty more if he keeps playing the way he has been.

Boeser had a real good game, he seems just so much quicker on the puck and with his decision making. He is dialed in and its about time. The guy has gone thru some really bad times the last couple of seasons and its real nice to see him back to his old self. He's making Duke proud out there.

Kuzmenko looks as though Mikheyev has sparked his game. Look's like he is finally giving the effort needed to make up for teams honing in on him more this year.

Sometimes a good linemate or friend can go a long way to make you feel more comfortable on a team. Glad to see the chemistry there.

Mikheyev looks off however. He has played well, with good effort, tho you can tell he has just come back from a long injury stint. He couldve had 4 or 5 goals by now if he was able to convert some of these sweet set-ups. I like the effort, so Im sure he just needs a few more games to get his timing back in the rhythm of things.

Hoglander has had a strong couple games lately, feels like im hearing his name a lot for good reasons. Rewarded tonight for his efforts. If he keeps it up then a permanent spot in the middle six might be his full time. Glad to see him taking that step forward.

Overall, solid game. Everyone played well and did their jobs. Even Meyers despite taking a bad penalty late, actually made some good reads tonight. 

He just needs to clean up his game, the bad penalties will catch up later. If he plays a clean game, I feel this team can compensate for his shortcomings. Just gotta be more disciplined than that.

4-2 sure does feel good. St.Louis may not be a powerhouse but we certainly cant take them lightly either. The Rangers should be a tough test at home. 

However, if we can pull out back-to-back wins at home, 6-2 will make it hard for some of the naysayers.

Like what Im seeing this season, feels like we have a reason to get excited for games this year. Regardless of what happens next, this has been a fun start to the season.

Back home we go! Go Canucks Go!!!

Edited by vcBrett
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Missed most of the game but from what people are saying, this was not the most exciting contest.  Since this season is ALL about wins, very happy with the final result - guess the only question was how Petey could have missed the two empty netters at the end. Lets save it for the upcoming games then.

I see Vegas marginally beat the Flyers at home in a pretty competitive contest - maybe we weren't as bad as first thought against Philly last week as the Flyers seem to be a pretty competitive team at this moment against most teams - even the champs. 

Torts looks pretty good there too.

Excellent road game, especially the first two periods. While Pettersson (and his line) was pretty invisible, the PDG - Miller - Boeser line was very noticeable, especially early on. Hughes and Hronek have great chemistry, it was a joy watching them. Some silly penalties towards the end by Myers and Friedman, but man, this Nashville team was super flat. Liked that little hustle in the neutral zone by Millers at the very end with the empty net.

Also, it was funny how on the first Nashville goal where Soucy gave the puck away the camera was on poor Myers afterwards, like he was the one responsible for the goal or sth lol

All in all, pretty decent start to the season, which is so refreshing considering the last few years.

2 hours ago, arsenalian said:

I’ve watched Canucks games all over the world. Tonight, I end up in Richmond for work. Staying at River Rock. Thought it would be easy to find the game live here. Nope, had to ask Curve bar to put it on. They had MLB on. One guy complained, thankfully everyone else also wanted hockey. Guy next to me was an Oilers fan, and he even he said he’d rather watch Canucks than MLB. Never thought I’d see the day, when in Vancouver (particularly where there’s betting…sports betting) I’d have to request to put the Canucks game on. Anyway, end of rant, and yayyy we won. Bit of a boring game, but I’ll take it.

TLDR: Was in Vancouver and had to ask for game to be televised in a betting establishment. 

That is just so wrong, on a number of levels.

• Cheers 1

anyone but me notice how pissed off Petey was after the game?  He took forever to get to the congrats line and barely touched Demko.  Kinda crazy.

Earlier in the thread people were talking about the Hronek trade.
I will still publicly state we over paid by a huge margin.  I will only ever change my stance if we lock him down with at least a 5 year contract and not over pay that.
A first round pick for 100 guaranteed games, and the rights to his next contract - be it one year or 10  (and we lost out 20 of those first 100 games)
Hopefully we do nail him down, especially if the team keeps rollin like this.  If he signs a really short contract, it's a huge bust.  Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, DANJR said:

anyone but me notice how pissed off Petey was after the game?  He took forever to get to the congrats line and barely touched Demko.  Kinda crazy.

I will still publicly state we over paid by a huge margin.  I will only ever change my stance if we lock him down with at least a 5 year contract and not over pay that.
A first round pick for 100 guaranteed games, and the rights to his next contract - be it one year or 10  (and we lost out 20 of those first 100 games)
Hopefully we do nail him down, especially if the team keeps rollin like this.  If he signs a really short contract, it's a huge bust.  Time will tell.

He was mad because he missed 3 chances at an open net 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DANJR said:

He was mad cause he missed the empty net twice. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2