[PGT] Canucks @ Predators

Jim McMahon

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Very satisfying road win.

1. The Canucks gave up very little defensively. The expected goals number for Nashville, including power plays, was only 1.52 and the 5-on-5 expected goals number was only 0.88. Even in a shutout you don't usually see expected goals numbers that low. (All the other metrics, shots, fenwick, corsi, high danger chances, etc.) were correspondingly low. 

2. Offensively, the Canucks were good. Their xGF (expected goals for) number was 3.33 even though they kind of shut things down in 3rd and mainly played defence, even on their one powerplay.

3. I would say that the best players on the ice were Hughes and Hronek. Hronek was top minute man at over 27 minutes including over 3 minutes on the PK. Both those guys picked up assists, generated other chances, and gave up almost nothing defensively. Keeping them together is definitely the right move.

4. Friedman was surprisingly good as the 2RD. He and Cole were good.

5. Even on the 3rd pairing, Myers struggled. He was low minute man on the D with 13:43 TOI, similar to last game and had relatively easy minutes. He was -2. One the first goal he did not do anything particularly bad. But on the second goal he had poor gap control. It was an odd-man rush with a one-timer off a cross-seam pass. Myers should have been a bit closer to the shooter, in which case he could have disrupted the pass or the shot. I am not saying that is an easy play, but it a play Hronek makes all the time as he has excellent gap control. And of course his late penalty coming right at the end of the previous penalty was a mental error. It was an obvious cross-check that did not accomplish anything much. I don't want to keep ragging on Myers and keep hoping he turns things around, but I would put him in the press box for a game.

6. Great to see Hogs play well. His TOI was low, but he was very good when he was on the ice. He had a nice goal and, in addition, his underlying advanced stats were excellent.

7. Petey played pretty well but was not really sharp. How often is he going to miss two empty nets from just outside the blueline? But nice to see Mik get his first of the season. He and Kuzy made nice plays on the goal, although Saros makes that save the vast majority of the time.

I was worried about the start with two games against the "Stanley Cup favorite" and a long tough 5-game road. I would have said coming out of that at .500 would be a big win. And here we are with a winning percentage of 0.667 (4 wins and 2 losses). Looking good.

Great job as usual. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

That is just so wrong, on a number of levels.

I think it has to do the fact that ‘Nucks have sucked for so long nobody wants to watch them…

But things are trending upwards with this management - and if they continue their winning ways - the city will get behind them and they’ll be on screens everywhere

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Give Petie a few days off. Get his head straight. 

I think he’s tired from a long road trip and I also think he should switch back to the stick he was using last year -apparently he’s using a different flex he’s probably not used to it yet

4 hours ago, DANJR said:

anyone but me notice how pissed off Petey was after the game?  He took forever to get to the congrats line and barely touched Demko.  Kinda crazy.

Earlier in the thread people were talking about the Hronek trade.
I will still publicly state we over paid by a huge margin.  I will only ever change my stance if we lock him down with at least a 5 year contract and not over pay that.
A first round pick for 100 guaranteed games, and the rights to his next contract - be it one year or 10  (and we lost out 20 of those first 100 games)
Hopefully we do nail him down, especially if the team keeps rollin like this.  If he signs a really short contract, it's a huge bust.  Time will tell.

He's mad, cause the Canucks keeps winning, and now he has to sign a long term contract...................................................................👽😎

Or more likely the 2 empty netters....... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Great effort and solid played, stick to the system and it works well.

good to see that toc limited again the TOI of meyers, Nevertheless he was out in the 2 goals against...

And the penalty Kill was great, maybe this is the most improvement of the year.

Edited by GasThomas
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Isn't he still an RFA next year?   If so that's up to two seasons of whatever type of hockey he delivers (so far pretty darn good).   Most GMs would take that and run as fast as they can, given he plays the unicorn spot if you can't draft one (first pairing RHD) and cost controlled for at least 50% of it.   What do you think NYI's pick is worth?   Once you add the context (they aren't rebuilding), don't be surprised to see another first rounder sent packing, this time our own.   Two seconds for Devon Toews - could you imagine passing on that ?  Which is worth more than a late mid-first. 

Button certainly didn't think we "overpaid" let alone by a "huge margin" and this is a pro/amateur scout, not just a hockey personality...he wouldn't take the local media's bait (and was baited repeatedly to the point he had to raise his voice), agree with him 100%,  we didn't make this or another move like it, we'd have to blow it up at, least trade a QHs or an EP.   A legit first pairing RHD, who's an RFA.   Some folks were pretty sad about what we got for Horvat (which was silly, was always going to be a first a good prospect and a mediocre roster player back to make their cap work), then we traded for Hronek.   Still have Raty.   Finally get a top pairing RHD, and somehow that's a bad trade?    

What did NYI pick end up becoming anyways?   We still won't get EP signed unless we can win.  Without Hronek we'd be screwed, personally would like to see EP wearing our uniform for a long time.    How about you?   Still needs work.    Tochett at least, is a good coach and making these guys accountable to each other and the team.    Myers money pays can pay for both EP's and Hroneks raises ,  we still need one more top four D.    

Another thing, is he's still an asset.   Bet he's already getting extension talks.   We could sign and trade if things go South, or something else comes up ... JT Miller was traded a year before his protection,  JB had the option to remove that protection and did.  

Still have some hope Allvin can sort more of this out.   As of now, we have two D's signed for next season, plus Hronek (RFA).    For sure he's left himself with flexibility.   So far, playing with QHs, Hronek's stock is going up and up.   Hopefully like Toews, he signs a reasonable deal.    

Standouts for me were #17 & #43 who were everywhere.

#21 & #6 on the forward side. Their 2 way game have come a long way. Hogs got his goal but he set up numerous ops that weren't converted. Boeser's game is a big jump up from last year. He is faster, completes his checks and is picking up his back checks. 

RT and his coaches get another shout out as this team is playing a complete game or at least knows what they have to do to make that happen. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Great game for an end if a road trip.  That definitely feels like a game they would have lost last year with those 2 b2b pks at the end.  There seems to be much more resolve as the games progress.

PK looked great even if not tested too much.  PP well we had about a min of it.  Hard to comment.

First line was ok, but you can tell Mik is still gonna take a few games to get back to his top form which is understandable.  At least we have some what should be easier opponents the next 4 anyways.  Be good to get them some home cooking and practice time.  Petey was choked he missed those 2 open nets at the end,  it it didn’t really end up mattering.

2nd line was our best again.  All three guys seem in the zone and able to anticipate the play at every turn.  I think these guys are actually the first line right now.  Nice problem to have!  PDG has really upped his game this year and is a perfect fit for Toks style of play.  His forecheck really frees up Miller to be the playmaker he is capable of being.  That makes him much more valuable as a Center.  Brock had a few great shots tonight and played hard.  

3rd line and 4th line all did their job and were a big part of limiting the Preds to 17 shots.  Even though Suter isn’t scoring I feel he is a real calming presence out there.  The opposite of Myers.  Hoggy and Joshua were outstanding, great energy and board work and a timely goal.  You can tell they don’t want to sit. But I like rotating the energy guys as they will burn out fastest.  I think if they know that just the strategy rather then a punishment for poor play that keeps their confidence up.  

Seemed like they were mixing the def pairs up a bit throughout the game and Quin and Hronek were great all game.  Great first passes or skating it out themselves. The opposition really doesn’t even attempt to attack when they are on.

Cole and Friedman looked better than when Myers was there.  Not sure how sustainable, but what choice do we have.  Cole definitely carried that pairing, but Friedman held his own too.  No really bad mistakes that I picked up on.

Soucy had a few great plays both offensively and defensively.  Myers had an ok game also I thought.  Made a few good pinches to keep the play alive in the offensive zone.  He took that late penalty and was on the ice for 2 goals, but they weren’t obviously his fault, so that is progress I would say.  Keep him down on the 3rd pairing as long as possible.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I think it has to do the fact that ‘Nucks have sucked for so long nobody wants to watch them…

But things are trending upwards with this management - and if they continue their winning ways - the city will get behind them and they’ll be on screens everywhere

Still... hockey is huuuuge in Canada, it's the home team, and I suspect there's a buttload of TVs in the place.

Hard to believe there was that much interest in Dbacks/Phillies that they couldn't spare one TV.

Yer absolutely right about the bandwagon potential.  Fair-weather fans...pfffft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arsenalian said:

I’ve watched Canucks games all over the world. Tonight, I end up in Richmond for work. Staying at River Rock. Thought it would be easy to find the game live here. Nope, had to ask Curve bar to put it on. They had MLB on. One guy complained, thankfully everyone else also wanted hockey. Guy next to me was an Oilers fan, and he even he said he’d rather watch Canucks than MLB. Never thought I’d see the day, when in Vancouver (particularly where there’s betting…sports betting) I’d have to request to put the Canucks game on. Anyway, end of rant, and yayyy we won. Bit of a boring game, but I’ll take it.

TLDR: Was in Vancouver and had to ask for game to be televised in a betting establishment. 

The River Rock caters to certain demographics and they just don't care (at all) who they turn away. I have personal experience with that. I won't ever go back there. Big money betters get their way.

Go to Legends in Richmond - a true sports bar owned by longtime locals. It's a great place to catch a game in Richmond if you're ever back this way. 

The fact is that the lower mainland is changing as people view this as a resort destination and Air bnb hub. Many people just passing through who aren't invested in the city, let alone our local sports teams. It's losing the lustre of the hard working crew who want to catch a game after work. 

I love the changes in many ways (the food offered here is amazing). But there are negative impacts as well, as people just aren't interested in sports, or at least our local teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1