[PGT] Canucks @ Predators

Jim McMahon

10 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Honestly. Lou always gave me Cloutier vibes. Would be other worldly, let a weak one in, then melt down. For me, McLean will always trump (ewww dirty word) Lu

I always felt the same way about Markstrom. Especially those soft 1st shot of the game goals. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Kinda feel bad for chaos giraffe.  -2 tonight and none of it was his fault.  Except that stupid bonehead penalty and I’m all back on the sit his ass on the bench train 😂.

Ok, Myers with Soucy on the 3rd pair... You all wanted it, the 9 million dollar d-pair....

The first goal against Sous looked like he saw EP40 with a golden halo around him so of course he isnt going to see Myers wide open to his right.... I am sure it was after the puck left his stick he realized the golden halo was two preds between him and EP.

The second goal against was a textbook 3 on 2 and both guys did the right thing. Demko was a little sleepy on that one, to be fair, the slowest night Demko has seen in a few years. 

Demko likely needed more coffee instead of water.

But what other team can say they are spending 9 Million cap on the 3rd pair? We fancy now, folks.

Petey should go back to his old stick

Canucks are 4-2 (2nd in the Pacific)

Oilers are 1-4-1 (2nd LAST in the Pacific) 

I know it's early, but I'm liking this good start from the Canucks. Every point matters. It's not great, Vegas is 7-0, but the Canucks are gelling and by mid-season I think they'll be a well oiled machine, shutting teams down, winning games. 

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I always felt the same way about Markstrom. Especially those soft 1st shot of the game goals. 

I always did too... and dont with Demko and DeSmith! the only thing for Demko, it feels like if he isnt getting hammered with shots he gets out of his rhythm. Maybe on games when we are in for a O-Zone domination we should have DeSmith in net.

Are the numbers from ESPN right?

Vancouver 3rd in PP, at 35.3%

Vancouver 17th in PK, at 78.9%

I thought our penalty kill was a lot better than that. Given some games we were 100% on PK.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/stats/team/_/table/offensive/sort/powerPlayPct/dir/desc

It's still is night and day so far compared to last year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I thought our penalty kill was a lot better than that. Given some games we were 100% on PK.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/stats/team/_/table/offensive/sort/powerPlayPct/dir/desc

I think it is much better, just looking at the natural stat trick page and we've let in 2 low danger goals on the PK, so maybe Demko let in a couple of softies? 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Ok, Myers with Soucy on the 3rd pair... You all wanted it, the 9 million dollar d-pair....

The first goal against Sous looked like he saw EP40 with a golden halo around him so of course he isnt going to see Myers wide open to his right.... I am sure it was after the puck left his stick he realized the golden halo was two preds between him and EP.

The second goal against was a textbook 3 on 2 and both guys did the right thing. Demko was a little sleepy on that one, to be fair, the slowest night Demko has seen in a few years. 

But what other team can say they are spending 9 Million cap on the 3rd pair? We fancy now, folks.

You’re going to blame Demko on that one?  A 94mph top shelf one timer?  Nobody was to blame on that 3 on 2, it was executed perfectly by Nashville.  First goal was on Soucy, he did the right thing though trying to bank it off the boards, Preds played it well.  If Soucy put it up higher off the boards maybe it doesn’t happen, but then he also has a higher risk of putting it out of play and getting a penalty too.  I didn’t like that he got a little interfered on the play and couldn’t get to the shooter because of it, thought they could’ve called a penalty.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, EagleEye said:

My thoughts as well..

I think we can get some of that work done this offseason.  32 mill to spend.  Say its 19 for EP and FH, we have 13 mill fill out the lineup.   I would expect that we will see Garland get moved at some point to create some more space.  We have a number of young guys looking like they could make a run at a spot out of camp next year: Bains, Pods,  Sasson, Aman, Karlsson, maybe even Lekkerimaki could all get looks.  McWard and Hirose are going to get NHL time this year on D as well.

I think we are 1 or 2 quality moves away from being a pretty solid team. Having some quality depth in Abby creates a bit more room to make them happen.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Probably.

Oilers hurt us on the PP as did Tampa bringing our kill % down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think we can get some of that work done this offseason.  32 mill to spend.  Say its 19 for EP and FH, we have 13 mill fill out the lineup.   I would expect that we will see Garland get moved at some point to create some more space.  We have a number of young guys looking like they could make a run at a spot out of camp next year: Bains, Pods,  Sasson, Aman, Karlsson, maybe even Lekkerimaki could all get looks.  McWard and Hirose are going to get NHL time this year on D as well.

I think we are 1 or 2 quality moves away from being a pretty solid team. Having some quality depth in Abby creates a bit more room to make them happen.

hopefully Blueger is ready for this home stand, that should help a lot. 

I would have thought Garland would have been moved by now as well, but maybe thats coming this week with a few days off? watching Fabbro last night tho I'm not sure thats a deal I'd want anymore, not sure he'd be an upgrade for us. Without moving Myers its going to be hard to really improve things. 

10 hours ago, Tusk said:

Myer's is 6M cap hit, with only 1M in actual pay. 5M in cap. Which I think may be movable at the td if we hold back 2M cap. For a 4th or 5th.

But if were heading for the playoffs we may need him as a 7-8 dman.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

hopefully Blueger is ready for this home stand, that should help a lot. 

I would have thought Garland would have been moved by now as well, but maybe thats coming this week with a few days off? watching Fabbro last night tho I'm not sure thats a deal I'd want anymore, not sure he'd be an upgrade for us. Without moving Myers its going to be hard to really improve things. 

Think of it like a fishing boat:

We've got 2 huge halibut (40lb & 43lb) in the bottom on ice,

Some nice Springs packed on top with more ice, and

A school of coho, just landed and floppin' around a bit, but getting sorted, and 

We're havin' a couple-ah beer in the setting sun.

We've got a bunch of bait out there but its getting a little tired and we may have to pack it in soon.

All in all, a great day on the water.

Now I'm frickin hungry and thirsty!

GCG!

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1