[PGT] Canucks @ Predators

Jim McMahon

12 hours ago, Wing said:

Haven't felt this positive about a start to the season for who knows how long. And the good news keep coming from our prospects. What a great feeling. 

The Philly vs Vegas game started at 8pm? I guess they just assume people in Vegas don't sleep...

Feels similar to the 2019-20 season. Nice to feel like a playoff team again, at least for now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Myer's is 6M bit only 1M in actual pay. 5M in cap. Which I think may be movable at the td if we hold back 2M cap. For a 4th or 5th.

But if were heading for the playoffs we may need him as a 7-8 dman.

I'd rather we bank the cap space. Saddling Soucy with Myers doesn't help get the best out of Soucy either. If we could do that deal right now I'd be thrilled. 

• Cheers 1

Nice win..l The reffs and the Preds demonstrated the importance of the PK. The Nucks were up to the task but I was worried whenever PK2 was against PP1. Also, I was impressed with Garland's PK abilities at the end. Now it's time to show the world what the Nucks are like to play against at home. If Game 1 is any indication, this will be fun.

GCG

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

I always felt the same way about Markstrom. Especially those soft 1st shot of the game goals. 

He was Cloutier and sometimes Luongo in reverse.  Almost like he had to let a real softy in just to get his game face on.    Luongo had a big game issue at times for sure. 

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Myer's is 6M bit only 1M in actual pay. 5M in cap. Which I think may be movable at the td if we hold back 2M cap. For a 4th or 5th.

But if were heading for the playoffs we may need him as a 7-8 dman.

With the ticket prices in Van, I dont think anyone is worried about actual pay... I think if we could pay Myers 10 million and his cap is league minimum he would be one of our favorite players.

Myers and Soucy need to sit with coaching staff and watch 8 years of Zdeno Chara tapes and learn how to hit and not get penalized to be effective.

And there is no use moving Myers on his last contract year. Maybe we can keep him next year at 1.5 and pay him under the table with pizza or a condo.

5 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Think of it like a fishing boat:

We've got 2 huge halibut (40lb & 43lb) in the bottom on ice,

Some nice Springs packed on top with more ice, and

A school of coho, just landed and floppin' around a bit, but getting sorted, and 

We're havin' a couple-ah beer in the setting sun.

We've got a bunch of bait out there but its getting a little tired and we may have to pack it in soon.

All in all, a great day on the water.

Now I'm frickin hungry and thirsty!

GCG!

Sometimes you barf depending on the waves man.    Did this every year and filled the freezer.   For quite awhile anyways (like fishing more than hockey ... so ... yeah).    I got it.   

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

You’re going to blame Demko on that one?  A 94mph top shelf one timer?  Nobody was to blame on that 3 on 2, it was executed perfectly by Nashville.  First goal was on Soucy, he did the right thing though trying to bank it off the boards, Preds played it well.  If Soucy put it up higher off the boards maybe it doesn’t happen, but then he also has a higher risk of putting it out of play and getting a penalty too.  I didn’t like that he got a little interfered on the play and couldn’t get to the shooter because of it, thought they could’ve called a penalty.

Whoever made the dumbass pass that led to the turnover and started the 3 on 2, that's who to blame.

Can't remember who, but I was cussing him out as soon as it happened.

• Cheers 1

I'm going to say it. It reminds me of the 2009-2012 team a bit. 

9x out of 10, we or any team gets scored on in a 3rd period like this. But we didn't. And we won 3/2. No points for the Nashville pussies. 

This is the kind of thing the 2011 team started to do which were indications of something great.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Tusk said:

With the ticket prices in Van, I dont think anyone is worried about actual pay... I think if we could pay Myers 10 million and his cap is league minimum he would be one of our favorite players.

Myers and Soucy need to sit with coaching staff and watch 8 years of Zdeno Chara tapes and learn how to hit and not get penalized to be effective.

And there is no use moving Myers on his last contract year. Maybe we can keep him next year at 1.5 and pay him under the table with pizza or a condo.

Chara had been signed up for the Jeremy Jacobs protection plan which enabled him to do whatever the hell he wanted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Nucklifer said:

The best game of the year so far.

Petey and Millsy are held off the scoresheet and we win

Hronek and Hughes are the #1 +/- D pair in the league right now and scared the crap out of the opposition

Lowest shot against total for a road game in 8 years

Freidman is looking good enough to stay as long if he stays in his lane and keeps it simple.

with Myers performance so far, I hope we sign Bear when he's healthy if we don't make a trade for an RD before that. 

and one more positive note ..

5 goals for Podz now with this awesome individual power move last night

He had some top notch set ups last night too

The Statsies: Hughes-Hronek pairing lights out in Canucks’ win over Predators

by Michael Liu

Not a bad way to wrap up a road trip.

The Vancouver Canucks closed out their first roadie of the year with a 3-2 win over the Nashville Predators. A game-management-filled third period aside, it was a good game for the Canucks. They managed to limit Nashville’s chances, keep them to limited scoring chances, while converting on the opportunities that they got as well. Vancouver continued to ride the hot hands on the back end while experimenting with new things – and that had some mixed and interesting results.

Here’s the win, by the numbers.

As always, you can find our glossary guide of advanced stats here:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/official-glossary-guide-canucksarmy-analytics-post-game-statsies

image.png.712c722f3182845da1108e6421a44bc8.png

After an evenly matched first period, the Canucks managed to swing the game in their favour thanks to some excellent 5v5 stats. Vancouver held a 66.67 CF%, 60.00 HDCF%, and 68.81 xGF% line through the first period, before turning it up another notch in the second period with 78.38 CF%, 83.33 HDCF%, and 81.01 xGF%. The middle frame alone saw the Canucks out-chance the Preds 16-4 at 5v5 play, racking up an impressive 1.18-0.28 xGF differential. And even in the third period, when the Predators got themselves a hand from the refs, Vancouver did a good job in snuffing out any offence that they managed to generate. In total, the Preds got six scoring chances and two high-danger opportunities in the final frame — yet, only three scoring chances came at 5v5 play along with zero high-danger chances. It speaks to a team effort to bear down and get the win over the line.

image.png.3d16e891605d8ce810c940c72987e9b8.png

This is a very clean heat map defensively for the Canucks. As mentioned before, they were able to keep the Predators limited and contained, as shown by the lack of any true hot spot forming on the map. Across all situations, Nashville only put together 20 scoring chances, with seven of them rated as high-danger. On the other hand, Vancouver posted 31 scoring chances with 10 high-danger opportunities, marking the first game that they’ve out-chanced and out-high-danger-chanced their opponent. The xGF difference has the Canucks pretty much doubling up the Preds 3.33-1.52.

Individual Advanced Stats

Corsi Champ: Conor Garland looked like a puck hound against the Predators. The winger finished with a 82.35 CF% last night to lead the team across all situations while the Canucks outshot the Pred 6-0 during his time on ice. Garland saw most of his action alongside Dakota Joshua and Pius Suter, which made up a 3a/3b line with Höglander – Lafferty – Beauvillier. It made for an interesting effect on the ice time, which will be discussed later.

Corsi Chump: It hasn’t been the easiest adjustment to the Canucks lineup, but time is needed with Carson Soucy. The defender finished as the worst Canuck in the Corsi department, his 46.43 CF% comfortably last in a game where every other player on the roster finished above 50%. Soucy was on ice for both goals against, recording a 26.23 xGF% and a 6-10 scoring chance differential. Not the greatest performance, but cut him some slack – Soucy had Tyler Myers as his partner, and that is enough punishment in and of itself.

xGF: I’ve actually never seen anything quite like this, but Conor Garland features here with a 100.0 xGF%. Yup, that’s right, Garland did not concede a single expected goal against when he was on ice last night. His total of 1.04 xGF did put him a bit further back in the pecking order, but it’s still mighty impressive to manage to hold the opposing team without a single opportunity to become an xGA. In terms of raw xGF, it was Ian Cole who led the Canucks with an impressive 2.47. Cole also featured in the third-most minutes behind Quinn Hughes and Filip Hronek, eating up some tough minutes with good results to show for it.

link to rest of article:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/statsies-hughes-hronek-lights-out-win-predators

while I was puttering around in the kitchen this morning a thought came to mind:

While we are slowing getting better and better, the entire east coast media are frenzied about the Bruins, Knights, and Avs ( all unbeaten ) and the Leafs and Oilers as to how they are struggling despite being stanley cup favorites. 

I don't mind being ignored by the media... we'll quietly keep going to 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific totally under the radar. At the end of the season everyone will be - where did they come from? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The Statsies: Hughes-Hronek pairing lights out in Canucks’ win over Predators

by Michael Liu

Not a bad way to wrap up a road trip.

The Vancouver Canucks closed out their first roadie of the year with a 3-2 win over the Nashville Predators. A game-management-filled third period aside, it was a good game for the Canucks. They managed to limit Nashville’s chances, keep them to limited scoring chances, while converting on the opportunities that they got as well. Vancouver continued to ride the hot hands on the back end while experimenting with new things – and that had some mixed and interesting results.

Here’s the win, by the numbers.

As always, you can find our glossary guide of advanced stats here:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/official-glossary-guide-canucksarmy-analytics-post-game-statsies

image.png.712c722f3182845da1108e6421a44bc8.png

After an evenly matched first period, the Canucks managed to swing the game in their favour thanks to some excellent 5v5 stats. Vancouver held a 66.67 CF%, 60.00 HDCF%, and 68.81 xGF% line through the first period, before turning it up another notch in the second period with 78.38 CF%, 83.33 HDCF%, and 81.01 xGF%. The middle frame alone saw the Canucks out-chance the Preds 16-4 at 5v5 play, racking up an impressive 1.18-0.28 xGF differential. And even in the third period, when the Predators got themselves a hand from the refs, Vancouver did a good job in snuffing out any offence that they managed to generate. In total, the Preds got six scoring chances and two high-danger opportunities in the final frame — yet, only three scoring chances came at 5v5 play along with zero high-danger chances. It speaks to a team effort to bear down and get the win over the line.

image.png.3d16e891605d8ce810c940c72987e9b8.png

This is a very clean heat map defensively for the Canucks. As mentioned before, they were able to keep the Predators limited and contained, as shown by the lack of any true hot spot forming on the map. Across all situations, Nashville only put together 20 scoring chances, with seven of them rated as high-danger. On the other hand, Vancouver posted 31 scoring chances with 10 high-danger opportunities, marking the first game that they’ve out-chanced and out-high-danger-chanced their opponent. The xGF difference has the Canucks pretty much doubling up the Preds 3.33-1.52.

Individual Advanced Stats

Corsi Champ: Conor Garland looked like a puck hound against the Predators. The winger finished with a 82.35 CF% last night to lead the team across all situations while the Canucks outshot the Pred 6-0 during his time on ice. Garland saw most of his action alongside Dakota Joshua and Pius Suter, which made up a 3a/3b line with Höglander – Lafferty – Beauvillier. It made for an interesting effect on the ice time, which will be discussed later.

Corsi Chump: It hasn’t been the easiest adjustment to the Canucks lineup, but time is needed with Carson Soucy. The defender finished as the worst Canuck in the Corsi department, his 46.43 CF% comfortably last in a game where every other player on the roster finished above 50%. Soucy was on ice for both goals against, recording a 26.23 xGF% and a 6-10 scoring chance differential. Not the greatest performance, but cut him some slack – Soucy had Tyler Myers as his partner, and that is enough punishment in and of itself.

xGF: I’ve actually never seen anything quite like this, but Conor Garland features here with a 100.0 xGF%. Yup, that’s right, Garland did not concede a single expected goal against when he was on ice last night. His total of 1.04 xGF did put him a bit further back in the pecking order, but it’s still mighty impressive to manage to hold the opposing team without a single opportunity to become an xGA. In terms of raw xGF, it was Ian Cole who led the Canucks with an impressive 2.47. Cole also featured in the third-most minutes behind Quinn Hughes and Filip Hronek, eating up some tough minutes with good results to show for it.

link to rest of article:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/statsies-hughes-hronek-lights-out-win-predators

Garland is so underrated and if that 3rd line with Suter and Joshua can keep going like that it’s going to cause problems.

I understand opening up that 5 mil next year would be nice - but if we’re having to retain anything I’d hope they prioritize other means of carving out space.  

Beauvillier, for example, can simply walk and Myers’ 6 mil will be gone as well.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think it is much better, just looking at the natural stat trick page and we've let in 2 low danger goals on the PK, so maybe Demko let in a couple of softies? 

Crysitl got a bad angle goal on the PP that was just a perfectly placed shot.  Can't fault Demko for that.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Guinness. There's better beers out there

There is whatever they are selling you, and what they sell in Ireland.   There is a reason why it's a "prescribed" beverage, better for you than most hospital food.   Get what you're saying, but like any beverage brand, it's usually better depending on where it's brewed.  And doesn't taste like it used too, even with the "nitrogen" bling added.    Best coke in the world is from Mexico.   Because they are only ones still using the original recipe, and even the "Mexican Coke", made from cane sugar and not corn syrup, that you can buy in the store, isn't the same either.  

For sure you can find something better.  But it's pretty good for a mass produced brand too.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1