[ARTICLE] Have the Vancouver Canucks finally found their long-term partner for Quinn Hughes?

Elias Pettersson

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

their high danger chance against indivdually have been relatively high over their career it's not an anomoly. both of them best suited with someone that's a little more defensive.. but for the moment they are the best we got not because they are the best.. it's the best combo of the bunch.. and i question whether or not we can sustain this.. the goalie saving at a ridiculous 98% rate when they are on the ice despite all the high danger chance.. and us as a team scoring at 15% clip when the highest last season is 11% 

you’re halfway agreeing with me…

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nikita Zadorov would like Manna from Heaven.  He is exactly what we are missing.  Allvin needs to go all in and sign the big Russian next summer...

#WeAreGoldStar

Zadorov is another Milstein player.  Make it happen PA

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

But so are Theodore and mcnabb right now. They triple the amount of defensive zone start but only have 1 more high danger chance against. Pietreangelo have been injured this season. It’s like 16 vs 46 defensive zone start. So they average more than 1 per faceoff vs others less then .5.. part of this is also the line they are playing with I guess. Hughes hronek plays 75% of their time 5v5 with the miller line and that line is still prone to do stupid things like pass the puck into the middle when pinned along the board and blind drop passes in their own zone so that contributes to it. Still this pairing is well above other top pairs in terms of high danger chances given up.. and we are like dead last or 2nd last in terms of high danger chances.. and relying on the goalie too much. 

High danger chances is the responsibility of all of the 5 players on the ice.  If you are telling me that Hughes/Hronek play 75% of the time with the Miller line then that explains everything.  Miller is not Petey, he doesn't backcheck like Petey.  Boeser is not Mikheyev.  He doesn't backcheck like Mikheyev.

Tocchet needs to use the Petey line with Hughes and Hronek and then see what happens to the high danger chances.  Down they go...

I think they have plans for Willander to be Hughes's long term partner.  

The Canucks in 2 years have embarrassed Benning so hard with the defensive prospects Alvin has been able to accumulate.  He's made a Joke of Benning 

Edited by Pure961089

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

High danger chances is the responsibility of all of the 5 players on the ice.  If you are telling me that Hughes/Hronek play 75% of the time with the Miller line then that explains everything.  Miller is not Petey, he doesn't backcheck like Petey.  Boeser is not Mikheyev.  He doesn't backcheck like Mikheyev.

Tocchet needs to use the Petey line with Hughes and Hronek and then see what happens to the high danger chances.  Down they go...

yes and no i expect it to go down a bit but i don't expect it to go down a lot individually hughes and hronek high danger chance against have been high. i do think playing with the miller line made it go higher but hronek.. but regardless those guys individually over the years have way higher danger chance against than a typical top pair against elite competition high danger chance doesn't necessary mean it's a odd man rush and Miller isn't backchecking. their HDCA is just way high for how much defensive zone start they get. i actually think hronek is more of the issue for the high danger chance against than miller. Hronek HDCA is almost double QH in all strength and over his career when he was playing the top pairing his HDCA is way high and then it dropped when playing the 2nd pairing role.. like i said long term i don't see this working out.. i don't see our goalie continue to have a 98% sv% 5v5 and teams shooting 0% on those HDC. the HDCA on the canucks is high across the board regardless but it just jumps out to me QH and Hronek HDCA is near the top as a pairing considering they don't start in the D zone much

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

yes and no i expect it to go down a bit but i don't expect it to go down a lot individually hughes and hronek high danger chance against have been high. i do think playing with the miller line made it go higher but hronek.. but regardless those guys individually over the years have way higher danger chance against than a typical top pair against elite competition high danger chance doesn't necessary mean it's a odd man rush and Miller isn't backchecking. their HDCA is just way high for how much defensive zone start they get. i actually think hronek is more of the issue for the high danger chance against than miller. Hronek HDCA is almost double QH in all strength and over his career when he was playing the top pairing his HDCA is way high and then it dropped when playing the 2nd pairing role.. like i said long term i don't see this working out.. i don't see our goalie continue to have a 98% sv% 5v5 and teams shooting 0% on those HDC. the HDCA on the canucks is high across the board regardless but it just jumps out to me QH and Hronek HDCA is near the top as a pairing considering they don't start in the D zone much

Hughes and Hronek are friggin’ brilliant. And that’s together or apart. We are friggin’ lucky to have both these guys. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Yes Hughes and Hronek are awesome together and should stay as a pair.

We need one more decent RHD and we are set.

We have Garland, Beau , Woo or Johansson and any two should get us what we need.

Then next year McWard can step in and Hirose and our D will be great for years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes and Hronek are friggin’ brilliant. And that’s together or apart. We are friggin’ lucky to have both these guys. 

Im just watching the NJ NY game. 

Jack Hughes doing Jack Hughes things.

Anyone else have "quinn to Luke back to quinn, shoots and Jack tips it in" dreams? The best partner for Quinn would be LUKE HUGHES and I dont think anyone can argue that

• Cheers 1

Just now, Tusk said:

Anyone else have "quinn to Luke back to quinn, shoots and Jack tips it in" dreams? The best partner for Quinn would be LUKE HUGHES and I dont think anyone can argue that

Sure we can as we haven't seen them together in the NHL and Hughes Hronek looks awesome.

Why mess with a great pairing?

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

We have Garland, Beau , Woo or Johansson and any two should get us what we need.

Honestly I’d never heard of Hronek until Allvin got him. Obviously Hronek is amazing. I’m confident Allvin (his scouts) will find us another really good right shot D. Willander should be ready to take on that role by our playoff run this spring. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I can see both Luke and Jack hating the lack of importance hockey has back in Jersey so wanting out. IMHAO we have all three Hughes boys here within five years. Great player like these boys want to play in markets that actually care about hockey. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Sure we can as we haven't seen them together in the NHL and Hughes Hronek looks awesome.

Why mess with a great pairing?

This whole experiment has been horrible. I mean its great for Hughes/Horonik and whoever happens to be the first or second line.

If you want the real story play Hughes/Horonik with the two bottom lines... they are the ones who need defensive strength.

We are all slut shaming Myers and Soucy and look who the forwards are on the ice.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

On backwards pyjamas days. Miller and Brock have been owning the offensive zone. They dont need to backcheck because they are forchecking every shift.

You know who needs Hughes and Hronek? the 3rd and 4th line. and with the minutes they play, they could cover both lines.

37 minutes ago, Tusk said:

This whole experiment has been horrible. I mean its great for Hughes/Horonik and whoever happens to be the first or second line.

If you want the real story play Hughes/Horonik with the two bottom lines... they are the ones who need defensive strength.

We are all slut shaming Myers and Soucy and look who the forwards are on the ice.

LOL you are way overthinking this.We are winner ng and you are complaining??

Seems we haven't had a great D pair like this in a long time and you want to change things???

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Exactly this! We finally have what we need in the top pair. You build on that ... not find excuses to keep losing.

You have to be able to recognize when we have what we've needed and wanted and use that as the standard to get better. 

• ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, Tusk said:

Isn't Luke also a lefty though?  Don't need brothers playing with each other (and love mine they are the best!) to feel like somehow there is added value. 

• Upvote 1

Right now we've got a top 5 NHL top pairing based on how they've played so far. Then we've got Cole, a serviceable top 4 guy who's really at the end of his career. Then there's Soucy who is a 5th guy at best. Then we've got Myers who is only here because of his contract, plays like a bottom pairing guy but gets bigger minutes.

We obviously still miss a top 4 guy and when Cole gets older and moves on, two. Soucy and Myers form one of the best bottom pairings in the league but if they're playing above their role, we're in trouble.

Because Quinn and Hronek are so good we can afford to get cheaper guys to play in our top 4 alongside them, but it hurts our quality and we've really seen that when we load up the two stars.

It sounds greedy but having Quinn, Hronek and Cole is a solid trio, but next year we could really use another top 4 guy. We can't just wait for Willander to fill that (in what, 2-3 years if we're lucky?). Cole next year will surely regress to a bottom pairing guy if we keep him. Myers will move on. Surely we acquire a top 4 guy in free agency but again, we only have 3 top-4 guys and a lot of bottom pairing guys. It could be a lot worse but if we want to be a contender, that's what we need to fix - our 2nd pairing. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Right now we've got a top 5 NHL top pairing based on how they've played so far. Then we've got Cole, a serviceable top 4 guy who's really at the end of his career. Then there's Soucy who is a 5th guy at best. Then we've got Myers who is only here because of his contract, plays like a bottom pairing guy but gets bigger minutes.

We obviously still miss a top 4 guy and when Cole gets older and moves on, two. Soucy and Myers form one of the best bottom pairings in the league but if they're playing above their role, we're in trouble.

Because Quinn and Hronek are so good we can afford to get cheaper guys to play in our top 4 alongside them, but it hurts our quality and we've really seen that when we load up the two stars.

It sounds greedy but having Quinn, Hronek and Cole is a solid trio, but next year we could really use another top 4 guy. We can't just wait for Willander to fill that (in what, 2-3 years if we're lucky?). Cole next year will surely regress to a bottom pairing guy if we keep him. Myers will move on. Surely we acquire a top 4 guy in free agency but again, we only have 3 top-4 guys and a lot of bottom pairing guys. It could be a lot worse but if we want to be a contender, that's what we need to fix - our 2nd pairing. 

It's going to be a bit of a process and take some time.   Free agency might plug a few holes, but just as likely won't ... we are just wrapping up Myers now and how did that work out?  Fine for 3 years.    Personally think we need a JT Miller like trade (first and a second ) to poach a guy on a good contract that buried down a depth chart and hasn't had the shot yet.   We can subtract somewhere else and expect a good result.  We also can't expect free agency to solve anything.   We have 3 guys next year, and one of thems Hronek.   That's it.   We aren't going to get a Cole and a Schenn every single year, end up with a Hamonic too...

Edited by IBatch

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a Hronek tide, no escape from reality
Open your eyes, look at our D and see
He's just a good D, he needs no disbelief 
Because he's fastest shot, speedy skater, bigger high, little low
Any way the negativity blows doesn't really matter to our D, to D ...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

After defending the trade for countless pages, it’s pretty clear now to the masses that we’d be lost without the Hronek acquisition. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 10/25/2023 at 2:49 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

IMO, yes they have.  Keep them together.  Tom Willander will anchor the second pairing when he arrives.  We also have D-Petey who could be Willander's long term partner.

Hunter Brzustewicz will anchor the 3rd pairing.  He may even be too good for the 3rd pairing and we can use him as trade bait for a power forward.  

I think Brzustweicz is going to be a stud. Good puck mover. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Happy Hronek day....

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/25/2023 at 10:56 AM, canucks curse said:

keep together

improve D 3 spot

Cole is a good 4 man this year

Soucy is a good 5

need to improve 6

so 3 and 6 spot need upgrades now!!!!

This all day long. We finally have that legit top pair people have been crying about and some said would never happen. 

Need to keep building asap. 

• Cheers 2