[PROPOSAL] Justin Shultz anyone?

Jim Rutherford traded for Justin Shultz in 2016 and he won 2 cups with Pittsburgh.  Even put up 51 points in 2017.  He's a local boy born and raised in Kelowna and played his junior hockey with the Kelowna Rockets.

He played with Soucy last year in Seattle.  He's a UFA in the summer.  Seattle has come back down to earth and aren't looking too good.  Maybe they want to move on from Shultz and get someone younger.  

Shultz would be an upgrade on Myers or Friedman.  He's a great offensive Dman and can play with Cole or Soucy and give us some offensive punch on the 2nd or 3rd pairing, therefore allowing Hughes and Hronek to stay together.  He'd also be a great veteran stopgap until Willander is ready to take his place.

Not sure how a trade would work or what Seattle would want.  They have lots of small forwards, so they have no use for Beauvillier or Garland.  Maybe a three-way deal with Chicago involving Garland or Myers.  

What say you?  

If we can trade for Peeke as well we can have this dcore...

Hughes    Hronek

Cole         Peeke

Soucy      Shultz

Hughes and Hronek will eat 25-27 minutes against the top lines in the NHL.  Cole and Peeke can be our shutdown pair and first pair PK unit.  Soucy and Shultz is a nice complimentary 3rd pairing.  I like it...

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jim Rutherford traded for Justin Shultz in 2016 and he won 2 cups with Pittsburgh.  Even put up 51 points in 2017.  He's a local boy born and raised in Kelowna and played his junior hockey with the Kelowna Rockets.

He played with Soucy last year in Seattle.  He's a UFA in the summer.  Seattle has come back down to earth and aren't looking too good.  Maybe they want to move on from Shultz and get someone younger.  

Shultz would be an upgrade on Myers or Friedman.  He's a great offensive Dman and can play with Cole or Soucy and give us some offensive punch on the 2nd or 3rd pairing, therefore allowing Hughes and Hronek to stay together.  He'd also be a great veteran stopgap until Willander is ready to take his place.

Not sure how a trade would work or what Seattle would want.  They have lots of small forwards, so they have no use for Beauvillier or Garland.  Maybe a three-way deal with Chicago involving Garland or Myers.  

What say you?  

Hughes    Hronek

Cole         Peeke

Soucy      Shultz

Hughes and Hronek will eat 25-27 minutes against the top lines in the NHL.  Cole and Peeke can be our shutdown pair and first pair PK unit.  Soucy and Shultz is a nice complimentary 3rd pairing.  I like it...

Hey how'd you sneak Peeke in there?

Edited by PhillipBlunt

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

For some reason I'm reminded of an old Canucks prospect Jesse Schultz.  Looked like he'd eventually make the Canucks roster full-time but for whatever reason, never was able to 'take that next step'.

Yeah, Nonis hyped him up as the big sniper to play with the twins lol.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What say you?  

Hughes    Hronek

Cole         Peeke

Soucy      Shultz

DCB7B476-7A1E-4CD4-B7AD-C6B6D9A6A332.gif

On 10/26/2023 at 2:30 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

What say you?  

Hughes    Hronek

Cole         Peeke

Soucy      Shultz

I don't mind getting Schultz but I think the bigger issue for the Canucks still remains in finding another top pairing RD for Hughes.  I still don't think Hughes and Hronek are great stylistic fits (though better than I thought), and I still think the Canucks are one key injury away on defense from being in trouble.  

I like the idea of getting Schultz, moving Myers, and having absolutely nothing to do with Peeke.

Hughes-???

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Schultz

Depending on who the ???? is, I think that above defensive core would be top 10 in the NHL.  That, combined with Demko and DeSmith, would give us both top 10 goaltending and a Top 10 defense.  

I said this in my other thread, but I still think it could be worth a calculated gamble to move Kuzmenko for someone like Rasmus Andersson, and then take a calculated gamble on guys like Boeser, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Beauviller, and Garland elevating their games with more ice-time and responsibility (as well as getting more ice-time with Pettersson and Miller as centers).  To what extent can Pettersson and Miller carry the above line-mates?   How likely is it that one or more of Lekkerimaki, Raty, and Podkolzin step in next season and become impact players?  

I know many will disagree, but I think the above would be worth gambling on.

Hughes-Andersson

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Schultz

Willander could very well be a top pairing NHL defenseman around the time when Andersson's contract expires.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Hughes - Pesce.

Something we need to see happen.

We would be one of the best defensive teams in the league.

My only concern with Pesce is his age.......and what his subsequent contract demands would be if he were to stay in Vancouver.  That could end up being a very ghastly term and cap hit.  

With Hronek here, combined with Willander waiting in the wings, I'd rather see the Canucks bring in a partner for Hughes that has a much shorter term on his contract. That way, we can possibly move on from said player once Willander is ready to "take the reins" so to speak.  

On 10/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, Jeremy Hronek said:

My only concern with Pesce is his age.......and what his subsequent contract demands would be if he were to stay in Vancouver.  That could end up being a very ghastly term and cap hit.  

With Hronek here, combined with Willander waiting in the wings, I'd rather see the Canucks bring in a partner for Hughes that has a much shorter term on his contract. That way, we can possibly move on from said player once Willander is ready to "take the reins" so to speak.  

6.5x5.

Willander is probably 2-4 years away.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, J-23 said:

6.5x5.

Willander is probably 2-4 years away.

I think 6.5 x 5 for Pesce *might* work but I'm also sure that more competitive teams in the Eastern Conference would be likely to match that offer as well.  

Pesce is a nice pipe dream but I just can't see it happening.  Would be happy to be proven wrong however.

• Huggy Bear 1