[Report] Bruins place former top prospect, RHD Ian Mitchell on waivers

6 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

So you’d rather have all three pairs be merely ok? 

If Horonek is good enough to lead the second pair, almost as well as Quinn leads the first pair, it gives the team over 40 minutes of  very good d every game.

Right now they get 20-24 minutes of great d and about 15 minutes of decent D, then hope for the best.

2 very good pair and one blah pair is to me, a better set up than what they are doing now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If Horonek is good enough to lead the second pair, almost as well as Quinn leads the first pair, it gives the team over 40 minutes of  very good d every game.

Right now they get 20-24 minutes of great d and about 15 minutes of decent D, then hope for the best.

2 very good pair and one blah pair is to me, a better set up than what they are doing now.

I agree with you 100%. I would love to see Hughes and Hronek optimized and leading their own lines. My comment was in regards to spreading the wealth with what we have. I just don’t see our current D corps being able to balance two D lines led by QH or FH without it hindering their abilities overall. I’m on team stack the deck and limit bottom pairing minutes until someone shows they can support either appropriately (and as long as QH and FH can handle it)

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuck You said:

We put wayyy too much stock in Bear, Really whats so great about him?!

It's not so much what's great about him, it's about how much better he'll be than Myers, or, in this case, waiver options.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Over Myers, Yes..I give you that bust jeez this guy had no training and is coming off an injury, Dude shouldn't even be in the discussion..

Of course not yet, but look at Mikheyev or even Pearson. It's not impossible for guys to start off hot. Besides, usually guys in Bear's situation would be given a conditioning stint in the AHL for 1-3 games to get up to speed. Once he's healed, if he signs for cheap (less than $1.5M) and we can make that cap work, he's a very capable 3RD. Based on how he played last year, he should be an easy upgrade over Myers (at least with how Myers is currently playing) and would make us less terrified to play our pairings other than H2. He struggled a bit as a 2RD, but on the 3rd pairing, he'd be fine.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Of course not yet, but look at Mikheyev or even Pearson. It's not impossible for guys to start off hot. Besides, usually guys in Bear's situation would be given a conditioning stint in the AHL for 1-3 games to get up to speed. Once he's healed, if he signs for cheap (less than $1.5M) and we can make that cap work, he's a very capable 3RD. Based on how he played last year, he should be an easy upgrade over Myers (at least with how Myers is currently playing) and would make us less terrified to play our pairings other than H2. He struggled a bit as a 2RD, but on the 3rd pairing, he'd be fine.

I would definitely prefer to bring Bear back on a prorated “show me” contract over dealing out forwards (Garland/Beau) for a current NHL dman that has term on their contract.

I want to be able to walk from Myers, Beau, and Garland without having to feel it down the road - we have OEL for that. 

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I'd rather have 27 mins of an elite pair 

• Cheers 3

They didnt claim Zach MacEwan which is a bigger, stronger guy we actually need so I dont think we want this little guy. Abby is already overflowing with D prospects who we can try if there is ever room. Ye all wanna put Myers in the press box but he still has the same cap hit there.

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

We put wayyy too much stock in Bear, Really whats so great about him?!

He is a good dman who is still young, shoots right, and would cost no assets to acquire. He is also versatile - can play up with Quinn Hughes or would compliment Cole or Soucy nicely. Last year when pairings were broken down he even made OEL look decent. 

Bear’s Performance With Canucks

In 61 games with the Canucks, Bear tallied 16 points (3 goals, 13 assists). His offensive stats might not jump out at you, but his main contribution came on the defensive side of the puck. With a 4.7 even-strength defensive goals above replacement, Bear comfortably led all Canucks defensemen, well ahead of Quinn Hughes at 2.9. Bear also had a Corsi-for of 50.48%, good for second among team defensemen and 103rd in the league (minimum 300 TOI). Hughes and Bear were the only defensemen to be above 50% in that category on the roster. Bear also ranked 22nd in the league among defensemen (minimum 300 TOI) in on-ice shot attempts against/60 minutes with 49.75. For one of the worst defensive cores in the NHL, the blame hardly falls on Bear’s shoulders.

Edited by Canucklehead44
  • Cheers 2

Im just watching the NJ vs NY game.... Luke and Jack Hughes just set up Taffoli....

Now another hughes set up and NJ is only down one goal.

If we are considering trades we need to get a Jack and a Luke when we give up a Taffoli and a Pearson...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Really? This craperolla is fun! 🙃

Well at least someone is talking about Bear again.... The real problem is how do we make cap space and I am not talking about moving the coffee maker to have room for the cappuccino machine.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Well at least someone is talking about Bear again.... The real problem is how do we make cap space and I am not talking about moving the coffee maker to have room for the cappuccino machine.

There will be at least one owner who (soon) buys a new house. And that new house will have a garden. And that garden will need a gnome. And our gnome is available. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There will be at least one owner who (soon) buys a new house. And that new house will have a garden. And that garden will need a gnome. And our gnome is available. 

Yeah Hogs is our new gnome, we only have room for one little shiny guy. But hopefully garly takes beau with him... its a gnome with a wheelbarrow deal

• Haha 1