[Report] Bruins place former top prospect, RHD Ian Mitchell on waivers

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

They didnt claim Zach MacEwan which is a bigger, stronger guy we actually need so I dont think we want this little guy. Abby is already overflowing with D prospects who we can try if there is ever room. Ye all wanna put Myers in the press box but he still has the same cap hit there.

Because Mac isn't an NHL player

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Because Mac isn't an NHL player

Ha jeez. And what is this topic about? another guy who isnt a NHL player. But at least Zack could be on the ice for size when needed for 4 or 5 minutes a game... thats the 13th forward we are missing.

21 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Ha jeez. And what is this topic about? another guy who isnt a NHL player. But at least Zack could be on the ice for size when needed for 4 or 5 minutes a game... thats the 13th forward we are missing.

No it's not, sorry.  There's no room for players who can't play at least 10 mins a game anymore.  A complete waste of a roster spot, especially given that fighting etc is completely insignificant anymore.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

No it's not, sorry.  There's no room for players who can't play at least 10 mins a game anymore.  A complete waste of a roster spot, especially given that fighting etc is completely insignificant anymore.

both our losses were because of these "insignificant" fights or size issues. Ok, so we are ok right now, 4 wins, 2 losses.

But what if the first playoff team we face has one of these "insignificant" guys.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Of course not yet, but look at Mikheyev or even Pearson. It's not impossible for guys to start off hot. Besides, usually guys in Bear's situation would be given a conditioning stint in the AHL for 1-3 games to get up to speed. Once he's healed, if he signs for cheap (less than $1.5M) and we can make that cap work, he's a very capable 3RD. Based on how he played last year, he should be an easy upgrade over Myers (at least with how Myers is currently playing) and would make us less terrified to play our pairings other than H2. He struggled a bit as a 2RD, but on the 3rd pairing, he'd be fine.

Sami Salo was a guy who would always come back from an injury as good as new (other than when he played with the ruptured testicle).  The guy never seemed to need a shift to get up to speed.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Canucklehead44 said:

He is a good dman who is still young, shoots right, and would cost no assets to acquire. He is also versatile - can play up with Quinn Hughes or would compliment Cole or Soucy nicely. Last year when pairings were broken down he even made OEL look decent. 

Bear’s Performance With Canucks

In 61 games with the Canucks, Bear tallied 16 points (3 goals, 13 assists). His offensive stats might not jump out at you, but his main contribution came on the defensive side of the puck. With a 4.7 even-strength defensive goals above replacement, Bear comfortably led all Canucks defensemen, well ahead of Quinn Hughes at 2.9. Bear also had a Corsi-for of 50.48%, good for second among team defensemen and 103rd in the league (minimum 300 TOI). Hughes and Bear were the only defensemen to be above 50% in that category on the roster. Bear also ranked 22nd in the league among defensemen (minimum 300 TOI) in on-ice shot attempts against/60 minutes with 49.75. For one of the worst defensive cores in the NHL, the blame hardly falls on Bear’s shoulders.

I have no idea why people wouldn’t want Bear when he’s healthy enough to return. He played solid hockey for us, won’t cost a ton cap or length-wise and as a good skating / transition d man should look great beside Cole or Soucy and we know he can do it with Hughes. 

No one is advocating to sign the guy to a long term deal - he’s a cheap, effective player who probably would be happy to come back. Resistance to this idea boggles my mind.

• Vintage 3

7 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I was thinking about that too, wondering if Mitchell could adequately replace Bear (if he were to indeed be on their radar as reported)

If so, Mitchell is on a league minimum contract, so there would definitely be cost certainty as opposed to retreading Bear here again?

If that's Champagne your signature is drinking out of the Cup I fear for his liver. It's been numerous days partying in a row now 😆 Also agree with your post.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

If that's Champagne your signature is drinking out of the Cup I fear for his liver. It's been numerous days partying in a row now 😆 Also agree with your post.

Ya, there's not much blood left in his alcohol stream, just like the state I will be in if the boyz ever bring the Tin Can home to Vancouver 🤪

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd rather have 27 mins of an elite pair 

I feel like Hughes deserves a good partner like Hronek now and Willander could maybe slot in as a second pair guy.... 

Hughes is our captain signed cheap long term and IMO will win a Norris within a few years if he has a partner like Hronek. 

Splitting them up is just dumb with Myers off the books resign Cole and get a decent 4D Soucy and whoever can play 3rd pair

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

I feel like Hughes deserves a good partner like Hronek now and Willander could maybe slot in as a second pair guy.... 

Hughes is our captain signed cheap long term and IMO will win a Norris within a few years if he has a partner like Hronek. 

Splitting them up is just dumb with Myers off the books resign Cole and get a decent 4D Soucy and whoever can play 3rd pair

Yup. Benning wasted cap space on supporting role guys. New management knows how to better allocate cap dollars. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Let's claim him!!! a cheaper option than Bear.... so far Mitchell can produce at the NHL level.... he can rotate with Friedman

Can he though?

12 hours ago, Tusk said:

They didnt claim Zach MacEwan which is a bigger, stronger guy we actually need so I dont think we want this little guy. Abby is already overflowing with D prospects who we can try if there is ever room. Ye all wanna put Myers in the press box but he still has the same cap hit there.

I think most people want him in Abbotsford where his cap hit would be $1,150,000 less.

16 hours ago, stawns said:

He wouldn't be a prospect, he'd be on the NHL roster

I'm assuming the OP was suggesting trading for him after he passes through, but I wouldn't give anything more valuable than future considerations at this point.

10 hours ago, Tusk said:

both our losses were because of these "insignificant" fights or size issues. Ok, so we are ok right now, 4 wins, 2 losses.

But what if the first playoff team we face has one of these "insignificant" guys.

Pretty sure we lost those because we scored less than we conceded. I doubt having Mac on the team would have improved that.

11 hours ago, stawns said:

"Fighting is completely insignificant"? I respectfully disagree. It's not as relevant as it used to be but It fires up the fans, the players, builds team bonding and keeps most players on the ice in check. Ask Brady in Ottawa. Toronto didn't sign Reaves because he a good hockey player. If teams are willing to pay millions for Reaves types of players, its certainly not insignificant and I hope it never leaves the game. Cheers

16 minutes ago, WillisD said:

"Fighting is completely insignificant"? I respectfully disagree. It's not as relevant as it used to be but It fires up the fans, the players, builds team bonding and keeps most players on the ice in check. Ask Brady in Ottawa. Toronto didn't sign Reaves because he a good hockey player. If teams are willing to pay millions for Reaves types of players, its certainly not insignificant and I hope it never leaves the game. Cheers

I agree about the crowd, when it's done right.  As far as the actual game goes, it has no significance anymore.   

Brady is a player who can fight, in fact he's one of the best players in the league.  Reavers is a complete waste of a roster spot and does nothing for that team.

I wish it was a more significant part of the game, but it just isnt and will diminish more and more until it's completely gone.

11 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If we didn't touch Bjork or Coughlan and claim this guy I want PA fired on the spot.

I still don't understand this. I would have frankly claimed both. Worst case, you put them back on waivers at a later date, should you acquire better pieces.

• Cheers 1