[Report] Bruins place former top prospect, RHD Ian Mitchell on waivers

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I still don't understand this. I would have frankly claimed both. Worst case, you put them back on waivers at a later date, should you acquire better pieces.

yeah, not sure if they were still looking at McWard, and wanted to make good on promises they likely made recruiting him?

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree about the crowd, when it's done right.  As far as the actual game goes, it has no significance anymore.   

Brady is a player who can fight, in fact he's one of the best players in the league.  Reavers is a complete waste of a roster spot and does nothing for that team.

I wish it was a more significant part of the game, but it just isnt and will diminish more and more until it's completely gone.

I agree it will eventually die off completely. I still remember how it effected our bench when one of the guys scrapped because of a shitty hit etc, so I think theres value to the team as long as it's not a planned fight for show. Those days are over. Cheers Stawns

On 10/25/2023 at 12:24 PM, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Still haven’t found a suitable RHD to play with Hughes besides Hronek. Could this be the guy?  If so, it would allow them to bump Myers down and possibly even out of the lineup. 

... I don't think a 24 year old waiver pickup, who couldn't stick with CHI or Boston even while on a league min contract, who isnt even trusted with 16 mins a night in the AHL, is the answer for our top defence pairing.

🤣

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tusk said:

both our losses were because of these "insignificant" fights or size issues. Ok, so we are ok right now, 4 wins, 2 losses.

But what if the first playoff team we face has one of these "insignificant" guys.

No they weren't 

1 hour ago, Haddy said:

... I don't think a 24 year old waiver pickup, who couldn't stick with CHI or Boston even while on a league min contract, who isnt even trusted with 16 mins a night in the AHL, is the answer for our top defence pairing.

🤣

LOL!  You must have forgotten how they tried both Juulsen and McWard with Hughes before determining  Hronek was their only viable option right now. 🤣🤣Pretty sure they’d like to distribute their wealth on D through their lineup a bit more. if they could. 

Edited by CaptainCanuck12

21 hours ago, The Duke said:

I have no idea why people wouldn’t want Bear when he’s healthy enough to return. He played solid hockey for us, won’t cost a ton cap or length-wise and as a good skating / transition d man should look great beside Cole or Soucy and we know he can do it with Hughes. 

No one is advocating to sign the guy to a long term deal - he’s a cheap, effective player who probably would be happy to come back. Resistance to this idea boggles my mind.

Cause we have enough RHD in the system, plus if we trade Garland or Beau we could get that one more and get a player off the books but add the RHD we need.

As is we would need to get a player gone to make room. So makes no sense without cap to just sign him.In a trade we get a better RHD and that makes sense.

Bear played decent but as every year he would throw the puck blindly in the middle of the ice and give teams chances.

In McWard he never did that at all.I myself would use McWard over Bear every day if the week.

We had Bear never resigned him so move on.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Cause we have enough RHD in the system, plus if we trade Garland or Beau we could get that one more and get a player off the books but add the RHD we need.

As is we would need to get a player gone to make room. So makes no sense without cap to just sign him.In a trade we get a better RHD and that makes sense.

Bear played decent but as every year he would throw the puck blindly in the middle of the ice and give teams chances.

In McWard he never did that at all.I myself would use McWard over Bear every day if the week.

We had Bear never resigned him so move on.

FWIW They were featuring Bear in promos for this year until he hurt himself in the offseason. Management will most certainly be in on him if they can carve out some space.  

How he does post-injury is still to be seen. 

I completely disagree with the “too many RD” line.  Hronek.  We have Hronek next year (hopefully, if he signs.). And then it’s nothing.  A bunch of names, maybe, but nobody with NHL experience.  Sorry.  Agree to disagree on that one.

• Like 1

Ok that's cool.

I just only heard talk about Bear in the off-season and seeing as he is hurt it's only talk.

Hronek, Myers, Friedman,Woo,McWard, Johansson, plus Cole,Soucy and QH can all play RD.

Means only way we resign Bear is if there's like three injuries and out of desperation.

More likely we will trade for one as we have no cap room.

So yes Bear might get resigned but only if we become desperate.Other wise he will not be a Canuck.

6 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Ok that's cool.

I just only heard talk about Bear in the off-season and seeing as he is hurt it's only talk.

Hronek, Myers, Friedman,Woo,McWard, Johansson, plus Cole,Soucy and QH can all play RD.

Means only way we resign Bear is if there's like three injuries and out of desperation.

So yes Bear might get resigned but only if we become desperate.Other wise he will not be a Canuck.

Mark Friedman is currently in our top-4… Mark Friedman.

That sounds like desperation to me. I think they’ll bring Bear back, barring some other larger move coming together.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

That sounds like desperation to me. I think they’ll bring Bear back, barring some other larger move coming together.

Could be but a good trade should happen and we'll see what happens.If we don't get the return we want maybe by Xmas break.

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Isn’t he playing in the bottom 4? Or did they pair him up with Hughes, that I’m not aware of?

15 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Ok that's cool.

It's pretty clear the coaching staff doesn't like having players on their off side. IE lefties on RD. Notice we have Friedman in our top 4 right now, cause he is a RD. Dude is gonna be 28 in December and has 68 career games under his belt. If we're not desperate for a RD I dunno man. Looks pretty desperate to me. Woo and McWard clearly aren't the answer to our question, as made evident by the aforementioned Friedman. Huggy was used on RD once in preseason last year. But otherwise has never played it for a meaningful amount of time. Cole and Soucy, yes, can play RD, but the fact management felt the need to acquire Friedman says they and/or the coaching staff don't want them on the right side.

48 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

It's pretty clear the coaching staff doesn't like having players on their off side. IE lefties on RD. Notice we have Friedman in our top 4 right now, cause he is a RD. Dude is gonna be 28 in December and has 68 career games under his belt. If we're not desperate for a RD I dunno man. Looks pretty desperate to me. Woo and McWard clearly aren't the answer to our question, as made evident by the aforementioned Friedman. Huggy was used on RD once in preseason last year. But otherwise has never played it for a meaningful amount of time. Cole and Soucy, yes, can play RD, but the fact management felt the need to acquire Friedman says they and/or the coaching staff don't want them on the right side.

That is known yes but in an emergency like injury yes one would be used until a call up.

With NO cap space we are not going out to sign one.

We are mist likely going to trade for one.One in the minors would be called up probably McWard and I bet he sticks and no problem or need to rush and make a bad move.

That is known also.

2 hours ago, End2End said:

Isn’t he playing in the bottom 4? Or did they pair him up with Hughes, that I’m not aware of?

There are only 6 defensemen. So yes, he’s in the bottom-4… and the top-4.

Friedman is a decent #7 D-man. But if he’s playing this many minutes, without us even having a defender injured, that’s a problem.

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

There are only 6 defensemen. So yes, he’s in the bottom-4… and the top-4.

Friedman is a decent #7 D-man. But if he’s playing this many minutes, without us even having a defender injured, that’s a problem.

friedman looked like a top 4 defender tonight beside cole 

13 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Our right side depth is a lot of young/rookie pros with Woo Johansson and McWard in the ahl, and Juulson who just has too many holes in his game to play in the nhl regularly.  

Friedman is an interesting get. A cheap add to see if there is something more to him for sure. He is almost 28 like you say, but maybe he’s getting to the point where he’s figured out what he needs to do to play regular minutes. Late bloomer if he sticks, and not an ideal guy based on skill and size. He brings effort and maturity and has an edge that should help drag the team in to the fight every night.  

A year ago I don’t think anyone would have thought PDG would be holding down a top 6 role, so who knows. I don’t mind the experiment.  I would love to see a quality proven top 4 right D man take his place. That’s really not Bear though when healthy and in game shape, nevermind Bear after 6 months on IR.

He’d be an improvement in skill based on what we saw last year, not sure we’d be a better team though.  I like Bear and would absolutely sign him for depth if the price was right. Just not sure he brings anything more than a warm body who won’t hurt us too bad when on the ice.

Finding journeymen players who can come in for cheap and contribute well above their cap hit is key to having success. I’m not on the PA/JR bandwagon yet, but I’ll give them full credit for finding some bargains in the bin. They obviously haven’t all worked, but they’re pretty quick to move on from a player after an audition when it isn’t working.  I think Bear fits that description.