Serious injury to Podkolzin

Screw

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I'm going to only say this once.... I knew this sort of thing was going to happen. I was ice level for the Abbotsford home opener. There was absolutely no team toughness, no engagement in the scrums, no intensity whatsoever. Podkolzin was targeted by Calgary all night and absolutely no one on the Canucks did anything to stand up for him, or show any push back. Calgary even took a 5 min major in the 3rd for a really dirty hit to the head. Canucks did nothing. Didn't even skate over to the guy who made the hit and have words for him.

I couldn't believe the sheer lack of interest in protecting teammates in the Home Opener. 

I'm guessing no one did anything after Podz was dumped to the ice either.

I'm concerned as to why you didn't jump the boards.

I think the famous quote is "Ask not what your Nux team can do for you...ask what you can do for your Nux team." 

Or something like that.

Agreed though. This franchise has been missing an internal protective bond that shows itself on the ice. I'm hopeful a winning future and some stability in all departments will invoke that mentality. Tocchet and Foote stood by it. Would love to see that mentality make an impression on the players or at least mgmt bring in some more heart and soul guys who will rep the team and jersey with pride and honour.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Well the hit to the head happened literally in front of me. 10 feet away. I was yelling at the Canucks guys "thats your teammate on the ice!!". Really thats about all I can do.

It was a really frustrating situation. I'm not a blood for blood kind of guy, but if they expect the Big Canucks to adopt more of a pack mentality, then that same culture should be working its way down to the baby Canucks. 

You can't predict the future and these types of things are going to happen in hockey, but it does seem to happen less to teams that respond, versus teams that just take it.

I can't even name 1 tough guy in the entire NHL let alone 3 or 5. Try to find a 6'2"+ 210+ lbs player who can skate and forecheck like crazy. And will stand up for his team-mates. I don't see many of those at the draft either. 1983 was 40 years ago. (I still can't believe it but it's true) Even if there was 6 guys on the Abby Canucks who could fight. Do you honestly think that a moron like Middleton that will stop him? Dirty players are always going to be dirty. Yeah you can pound him into cheeseburger flavored dog food. 

Then you get one injured guy, and additional suspensions. I get the idea, you want to stand up for your team-mates. But trying to stop boneheaded plays like last night would be better for the players.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, XxNaslundxX said:

middleton guy deleted his ig. Not sure when though. 

He can dish out unfair brutality but cant be accountable on social media. Atleast matheson took the heat for a few days and appologized. This middleton nobody is both a douche and a coward. Fight me

Did you really just type, ‘accountable on social media’? Lol. 

Glad it sounds like Podz is gonna be okay. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I'm going to only say this once.... I knew this sort of thing was going to happen. I was ice level for the Abbotsford home opener. There was absolutely no team toughness, no engagement in the scrums, no intensity whatsoever. Podkolzin was targeted by Calgary all night and absolutely no one on the Canucks did anything to stand up for him, or show any push back. Calgary even took a 5 min major in the 3rd for a really dirty hit to the head. Canucks did nothing. Didn't even skate over to the guy who made the hit and have words for him.

I couldn't believe the sheer lack of interest in protecting teammates in the Home Opener. 

I'm guessing no one did anything after Podz was dumped to the ice either.

Also - Really glad to hear Podz is doing well

I'm getting major Green/Deesjardins vibes from Colliton. Does nothing to protect the players.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Well the hit to the head happened literally in front of me. 10 feet away. I was yelling at the Canucks guys "thats your teammate on the ice!!". Really thats about all I can do.

It was a really frustrating situation. I'm not a blood for blood kind of guy, but if they expect the Big Canucks to adopt more of a pack mentality, then that same culture should be working its way down to the baby Canucks. 

You can't predict the future and these types of things are going to happen in hockey, but it does seem to happen less to teams that respond, versus teams that just take it.

That's what bothered me the most Jay...no one did anything about it...he way lying in the corner way too long without any help...

We have tough guys on the team but we have yet to put them in the line up. Germain Lowean and Alex Kannot Leipert, one or both should be in the line up when playing heavy teams like Calgary...they pushed us around way too much.

That's why having big Vinny Arseanuealt on the team was so important...funny enough tho, this may be Collitons weakness as a coach. He didn't play Vinny much last year, he doesn't play every single game. But previous coaching staff were never afraid to throw him into a game. He'd play like 35-40 games a year, all against the heavy teams.

Germain Lowean (may not be getting his name completely right) is our Vinny replacement, but I haven't heard a peep about him yet to start the year. Colliton better wake up and start putting him or AKL in the line up.

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

...Colliton better wake up and start putting him or AKL in the line up.

I realllly wish we could somehow be privvy to the conversations management and coaches have behind closed doors about these kinds of things. You know, the things they'd never say publicly.

Would love to know what Toc and Gonch and Rutherford truly think about the hit and the lack of on-ice response and how to address it moving forward.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Thanks for this and I was also thankful Podkolzin is expected to recover.

After some consideration however, I am concerned about that first 90 minutes.

Anybody care to expand on this?

Pods was at the hospital being assessed so only med staff would have been with him for a period of time. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

I realllly wish we could somehow be privvy to the conversations management and coaches have behind closed doors about these kinds of things. You know, the things they'd never say publicly.

Would love to know what Toc and Gonch and Rutherford truly think about the hit and the lack of on-ice response and how to address it moving forward.

I think team toughness can take care of most games during the season…but there are those heavy games you play thru the year, like our game against Philly. You need some players in your system that can provide that push back against those kinds of teams/then into playoffs. 

Abby has their tough guys, I bet we see one of them in next game.

Vancouver only has Joshua…and Friedman…not great at all. So far only the game against Philly has worried me. A tough stay at home RD or another gritty forward would be nice to add. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I can't even name 1 tough guy in the entire NHL let alone 3 or 5. Try to find a 6'2"+ 210+ lbs player who can skate and forecheck like crazy. And will stand up for his team-mates. I don't see many of those at the draft either. 1983 was 40 years ago. (I still can't believe it but it's true) Even if there was 6 guys on the Abby Canucks who could fight. Do you honestly think that a moron like Middleton that will stop him? Dirty players are always going to be dirty. Yeah you can pound him into cheeseburger flavored dog food. 

Then you get one injured guy, and additional suspensions. I get the idea, you want to stand up for your team-mates. But trying to stop boneheaded plays like last night would be better for the players.

I didn't say that the Canucks need an old school enforcer. I'm talking about team toughness. Pack mentality. Yes it means sometimes guys who don't normally scrap need to scrap, but that's still part of hockey. You can't rely on the refs to stick up for guys. 

Hockey players need to police themselves. It's the way its always been. You think JT Miller is an enforcer? He'll no, but he will drop the mitts time to time. We just need guys who have the right heart. Also fighting can be taught. Guys should be learning how to scrap properly even if it's not something they plan to add to their regular game. 

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

That's what bothered me the most Jay...no one did anything about it...he way lying in the corner way too long without any help...

We have tough guys on the team but we have yet to put them in the line up. Germain Lowean and Alex Kannot Leipert, one or both should be in the line up when playing heavy teams like Calgary...they pushed us around way too much.

That's why having big Vinny Arseanuealt on the team was so important...funny enough tho, this may be Collitons weakness as a coach. He didn't play Vinny much last year, he doesn't play every single game. But previous coaching staff were never afraid to throw him into a game. He'd play like 35-40 games a year, all against the heavy teams.

Germain Lowean (may not be getting his name completely right) is our Vinny replacement, but I haven't heard a peep about him yet to start the year. Colliton better wake up and start putting him or AKL in the line up.

Great points Attila. I fear that toughness is being coached out of players. Either directly or indirectly players are learning that hitting and scrapping won't get you in the lineup. 

I have no idea what that's about. Yes fans want to see goals, but they also want hits! It's still hockey. And big teams that hit often score more goals too.

Hopefully the big Canucks send a message to Colliton that he better protect these players. We can't call up injured guys.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

The comment was lousy but i hope this was tongue in cheek?

He basically called people from BC pussies because no one would punch him in the head for a thousand bucks.

No self respecting BC native would talk like that, especially a descendant of loggers, ranchers and fishermen.