[Suspension] Shane Pinto suspended 41 games related to sports wagering

timberz21

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I suppose it could have. It was the gambling site that alerted the NHL so obviously they do not want to be offering games that are compromised in anyway. Where one party has information that's unavailable to the general public.

I really don't get the point of potential informational advantage in hockey. It's probably the sport least susceptible to one player making a difference. There's far too many factors involved in hockey for any one player to make that big a difference.

There's got to be more to this and hopefully it will come out sooner than later.

Tyler Myers begs to differ. Just kidding, or am I?

11 hours ago, Rekker said:

I wasn't sure how many would get it. There's a whole generation that doesn't know what a Ford Pinto is, let alone the explosion issues. Lol.

They were fun to ride ... friend bought one for a joke, it was a total dog, the fun was you basically had to floor it to get any sort of acceleration and to keep the top speed around 60mph with 4 peolple in it ... and yes the exploding happened if you rammed their bumpers.    It was between the Pinto and the Gremlin, but also something called a Pacer as the funnest ugly cars around, at one point we had all 3 in the group,  Pacers wins  Gremlin was actually pretty neat, fun cars to make sleepers out of, also the only car that lasted six months.     Another car - the Omega was a total dog that was ugly as f!ck, we didn't put a drop

oil in and it just wouldn't die.. Can't even describe the green used, like a toy version of a sedan or something and wins the ugliest interior i've ever seen.   Not sure why they had so many ugly cars from the mid 70's-mid 90's, the Pacer and Pinto were exceptionally ugly .. Gremlin all

in black was an interesting car but fugly for sure, looked like a fat lazy frog about the jump in " Frog Green" pinstripes included 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

What a dumb ass. The rules are very clear even if hypocritical. I've always believed if the league is not going to allow gambling for players, they shouldn't promote and take money from it. The rat bastards like Buttman just gotta keep filling their pockets any way they can

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

They were fun to ride ... friend bought one for a joke, it was a total dog, the fun was you basically had to floor it to get any sort of acceleration and to keep the top speed around 60mph with 4 peolple in it ... and yes the exploding happened if you rammed their bumpers.    It was between the Pinto and the Gremlin, but also something called a Pacer as the funnest ugly cars around, at one point we had all 3 in the group,  Pacers wins  Gremlin was actually pretty neat, fun cars to make sleepers out of, also the only car that lasted six months.     Another car - the Omega was a total dog that was ugly as f!ck, we didn't put a drop

oil in and it just wouldn't die.. Can't even describe the green used, like a toy version of a sedan or something and wins the ugliest interior i've ever seen.   Not sure why they had so many ugly cars from the mid 70's-mid 90's, the Pacer and Pinto were exceptionally ugly .. Gremlin all

in black was an interesting car but fugly for sure, looked like a fat lazy frog about the jump in " Frog Green" pinstripes included 

My mom has a pacer and as ugly as it was, it was a kick ass car. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Oh man, good memories, and brings back some for me.

Oh man, could go on and on. Add the Charlies Angels Mustang that looked like someone took a baseball bat to. The Chevette and Vega weren't as fugly, but were gutless. I agree, you couldn't kill the engines back then. Bag on them, steaming, low on old oil, redlines, but still run. Lol.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

Oh man, good memories, and brings back some for me.

Oh man, could go on and on. Add the Charlies Angels Mustang that looked like someone took a baseball bat to. The Chevette and Vega weren't as fugly, but were gutless. I agree, you couldn't kill the engines back then. Bag on them, steaming, low on old oil, redlines, but still run. Lol.

Was going to mention the Chevette the mini-wagon.   We had a massive ford LTD wagon as kids - with a 460 V8, seatbelts for 8 but could seat 9, we begged to sit in the "back back "...so we could stare directly into the cars behind us, pretend to "shoot them" and on long road trips, hold up signs like "help kidnapped!!"  

Edit:  There we're a lot of us .. so the lucky two got to sit in the back .. Dad built a wooden coffin like thing on the roof to hold the stuff.   Today you'd think that was weird, back then it just was normal (made out of wood with his own hands) .  Oh and way back when, I still remember seatbelts as an option, as in "kids put your seatbelts on"  meant highway driving or we were getting pulled over.   Times have sure changed.   There were no baby seats that I remember, Mom just held the baby, and the ones they did get, weren't a five harness system, and pointed straight ahead.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

I like the Gremlin and the Pacer.  Car designs had some personality around then.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

I like the Gremlin and the Pacer.  Car designs had some personality around then.

Fun because they were so out there.   The Cordoba.   So many interesting cars.   But also not exactly fun to drive as in hot rods either - Mustang 2.   Some silly things, later the "Fiero" they tried to keep it interesting, but the reality is the didn't make a fast car from 1973 to Dodge Viper. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Fun because they were so out there.   The Cordoba.   So many interesting cars.   But also not exactly fun to drive as in hot rods either - Mustang 2.   Some silly things, later the "Fiero" they tried to keep it interesting, but the reality is the didn't make a fast car from 1973 to Dodge Viper. 

The Fiero...for the dude who wants to pretend he is driving a Trans Am or a Camaro.

Been to Reno drives and El Camino can you dig that style...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Shekky said:

Raffi Torres was suspended for headshots or something after he left the Canucks he went from one suspension to the next after he left the team. At one point he was suspended for 25 games or something ridiculous

Rightly so ... was his generations Brad Marchment, instead of knee hunting, was head hunting.    Like any of these guys couldn't take each other out doing that and it's some sort of special ability.   Don't know why he and Cooke felt the need to do this sort of crap, but lost most if not all respect as a result.   One thing to use your elbows liberally at times.   Another to take a run at someone and try and injury them.  Which for sure both guys did.  

Edited by IBatch

Bettman Allegedly Threatened Shane Pinto Amid Gambling Probe (msn.com)

Bettman Allegedly Threatened Shane Pinto Amid Gambling Probe

24 hours after it was learned Shane Pinto was being suspended by the NHL for 41 games, more news has come to light regarding the forward’s gambling violation, how and when he got caught, and what the NHL told him when the investigation began weeks ago.

The latest development provides new details and shine a light on why he left the Senators to train at home, a meeting he had with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and where he stands now with the league.

According to reports from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun, (who appeared on TSN in an interview) the NHL was alerted by one of its betting partners about suspicious activity on Pinto’s online betting account. This prompted an investigation by the league, especially when indications suggested the possible involvement of a third party. As a result, the Ottawa Senators halted all contract negotiations with Pinto.

During a face-to-face meeting with Bettman, Pinto was warned of severe consequences. Garrioch noted:

“I think he met face-to-face with Gary Bettman. And Gary Bettman let him know that no matter what happened here, he was going to throw the book at him and make it very, very difficult for him, with a very long suspension.”

In other words, Bettman made it clear that he was about to make an example out of Pinto and whatever punishment was coming, it was going to be extremely harsh. Many are finding it a bit ironic, even hypocritical, that Bettman would be so harsh to push stiff punishment for gambling when the league has been so open to promoting it.

From there, Garrioch revealed that Pinto’s previously anticipated two-year deal with the Senators was immediately pulled off of the table and despite the Senators’ public support for their forward, it is now unlikely he signs anything but a one-year contract, probably at his qualifying number. In fact, Garrioch believes he’ll have to come begging for that deal. One has to wonder if Bettman had a little chat with the Sens and suggested they not make him returning easy. The suggestion that there could be an impropriety involving the NHL is not something Bettman is open for messing around with.

What Does Pinto’s Future Look Like?

In light of these developments, Pinto’s immediate future appears uncertain. Garrioch suggested that Pinto might retreat from the NHL scene and join his former college team at the University of North Dakota. The young player faces challenges ahead, including a potential stint in the American Hockey League before he can contemplate returning to play for the Ottawa Senators.

The situation remains fluid, with Pinto’s career prospects hanging in the balance amid ongoing discussions and decisions by the league and the Senators organization.

As it stands right now, the matter is closed. “The league’s investigation found no evidence that Pinto made any wagers on NHL games,” its statement said. If there’s any good news for Pinto, it’s that. Had he been found to have wagered on the NHL, Bettman likely would have banned him for life.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

the NHL was alerted by one of its betting partners about suspicious activity on Pinto’s online betting account.

If I was Pinto- I'd be having a lawyer, or 3 take a very close look at the agreement Pinto made with that gaming company.

did it say anywhere, that Pinto was authorizing the company to use, and share his personal info with any one?

This could become one heck of a lawsuit.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If I was Pinto- I'd be having a lawyer, or 3 take a very close look at the agreement Pinto made with that gaming company.

did it say anywhere, that Pinto was authorizing the company to use, and share his personal info with any one?

This could become one heck of a lawsuit.

I think what bothers me from Pinto's side is why?!!?? Why would you risk your hockey career and millions in earnings for this side hustle bullshit? Was it really going to be that lucrative? Truly wonder how much he stood to earn from this gambling fiasco, but aside from any character issues being bandied about, I'm just shocked someone with so much potential would waste a lifelong effort to get where he is and all credibility on something like this. Is it greed or the adrenaline? Shocking to me.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think what bothers me from Pinto's side is why?!!?? Why would you risk your hockey career and millions in earnings for this side hustle bullshit? Was it really going to be that lucrative? Truly wonder how much he stood to earn from this gambling fiasco, but aside from any character issues being bandied about, I'm just shocked someone with so much potential would waste a lifelong effort to get where he is and all credibility on something like this. Is it greed or the adrenaline? Shocking to me.

For the same reason some people drink too much alcohol or do drugs.

Addiction.

Come to think of it, that could be an argument for his/NHLPA lawyers to bring to the leagues attention.

They have a re hab program for substance abuse- and the league would look pretty stupid for not having one for gambling- especially as they profit from advertising that product.

• Cheers 2

On 10/26/2023 at 1:12 PM, Coryberg said:

The NHL gets paid for gambling advertisements but does not get paid for the outcome of games. A player gambling on the outcome of games is a much different animal. Not sure how people making the correlation can't tell the difference.

It's hypocrisy. Promoting something you condemn. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

• 2 months later...