[Suspension] Shane Pinto suspended 41 games related to sports wagering

timberz21

8 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

League shoves betting down our throats. League dishes out the biggest suspension in history because a player gambles. What the f**k.... 

Also, how is this any different than the Kane situation? 

Someone enlighten me because I'm confused.

The NHL gets paid for gambling advertisements but does not get paid for the outcome of games. A player gambling on the outcome of games is a much different animal. Not sure how people making the correlation can't tell the difference.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

This does kinda reek of corruption. Obviously, there are rules around using insider knowledge and impact and betting, but it's hard not to see some sort of connection between the absurd amount of gambling ads and a very hard-hitting suspension related to this. Money talks.

So many people I know today are becoming or are addicted to sports gambling because of the massive push in advertising and government involvement making it more accessible.

it’s more destructive than it is fun in my opinion and not what people need when they are under the amount of financial stress we are here in Canada especially in Vancouver 

unless he was trying to bet on games where he knew things the public didn’t I don’t see the problem with the actions but with the rules and the punishment seems extremely harsh.

but maybe we are missing some information.

• Cheers 1

I would think the NHL has a similar policy to the NFL regarding the players betting on league games.

Players cannot bet on league games, but can bet on any other sport.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10091468-nfl-announces-new-gambling-policy-for-players-who-bet-nfl-games-other-sports

"NFL players are still not allowed to place bets on league games. If a player places a bet on an NFL game, he

will receive an indefinite suspension that spans at least one year."

If this is the case, then Pinto is a fool who is lucky to just have a 41 games suspension.  Kid's been earning

$925K for 3yrs, has just started to break into the NHL and a promising career.  He just might have damaged

his future in the game; in development and reputation.

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I would think the NHL has a similar policy to the NFL regarding the players betting on league games.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10091468-nfl-announces-new-gambling-policy-for-players-who-bet-nfl-games-other-sports

"NFL players are still not allowed to place bets on league games. If a player places a bet on an NFL game, he

If this is the case, then Pinto is a fool who is lucky to just have a 41 games suspension.  Kid's been earning

$925K for 3yrs, has just started to break into the NHL and a promising career.  He just might have damaged

The NHL found no evidence that Shane Pinto bet on any NHL games.

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

The NHL gets paid for gambling advertisements but does not get paid for the outcome of games. A player gambling on the outcome of games is a much different animal. Not sure how people making the correlation can't tell the difference.

We obviously get it.  But we have also been bombarded with an obscene amount of player-endorsed sports betting ads.  Combined with drinking ads, alcoholism and gambling are two of the classic vices that are super destructive against the family.

The NHL doesn't give a shit about its fans.

• Vintage 3

52 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Wait wait.

I'm hearing Pinto was betting on non-NHL games.  So it could've just been a football fantasy pool or something.

A gambling site that partners with the NHL notified them of suspicious activity in Pinto's account. Apparently wagers placed through a 3rd party.

The story has many holes in it and the NHL's statement makes little sense. If they say he didn't wager on NHL games then what did he do to warrant a 41 game suspension?

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

suspension lengths are out of wack.

Maybe the DOPS will step up and start issuing substantial terms, now the league is going with 41 games for a thing that did not happen on the ice.

I think the media should interview people like Andrew Alberts, and all the other players put out of hockey by bad hits; and ask their opinion of the quality of NHL 'justice'

• Vintage 2

Seems an absurdly long suspension, curious to see what he was gambling on.

Funny the difference in time for Rasmus leaping, shoulder first, into a player’s face vs. Pinto clicking the link on his helmet…

Actual footage of NHL determining punishments:

1E8714FF-D14D-4CBF-B376-CC1F78CB979F.jpeg.0ed6f3dab6a02c3bc7c22fb35c21a76c.jpeg

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

My brother in law had one of these in blue back in the late 80's early 90's...I know cuz i spent many the hour pushing it down the side of the highway. It eventually also blew, lol.

I wasn't sure how many would get it. There's a whole generation that doesn't know what a Ford Pinto is, let alone the explosion issues. Lol.

Edited by Rekker
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2