Zack Kassian Retires

Theo5789

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Ehrhoff.  The other Canucks trade that eventually bit the Sabres in the butt.  He's still collecting money from the Sabres.  Will be until 2027-28.

Just like Bo Horvat, he was a perfect fit in the Canucks system but ultimately played way too good for us to extend him.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Dunno.  You enjoy the nose snow?  😆

I could never do coke.  I get too paranoid and hyper when I have too much caffeine.  They'd be peeling me off of the ceiling if I tried the Devil's dandruff.

Believe me I was that way, Like why would I do this until you try it once.. I think at least for me, alcohol was the bigger issue..Once that gets in your system you kinda become careless..the industry I work in it's always around us..It was my birthday on the 22nd, all of the booze and yay I had I gave it away, I'm done..time to turn a new leaf...Btw I ended up in the drunk tank the next day so have a laugh at my expense, I ain't even mad.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Cody Hodgson was good for us and it was a bit of a shock that he got traded away.  Gillis felt there was no room for Cody to steal a spot from Henrik or Kesler and opted for a bruising winger instead.

Not that keeping Cody would've been the right move, but trading our best young player for Kassian was a gamble that didn't pay off.  Oh well.

Lesson for GM's. If the other GM is telling you, don't tell the other GM's you are trading a player. Walk away. You will always get more value when the whole league gets involved. I still don't buy the excuse that Hodgson/His Dad/etc. was such a nuisance that he jumped at the first deal he could find. Both GM's screwed each other.

I'm just glad Zack eventually got his head on straight. It's odd to think he spent more time in Edmonton than anywhere else. I'm going to say this probably the only time.

Thanks Edmonton for giving Zack a chance and letting him get a regular NHL gig. Now excuse me I need to take a bath.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lesson for GM's. If the other GM is telling you, don't tell the other GM's you are trading a player. Walk away. You will always get more value when the whole league gets involved. I still don't buy the excuse that Hodgson/His Dad/etc. was such a nuisance that he jumped at the first deal he could find. Both GM's screwed each other.

I'm just glad Zack eventually got his head on straight. It's odd to think he spent more time in Edmonton than anywhere else. I'm going to say this probably the only time.

Thanks Edmonton for giving Zack a chance and letting him get a regular NHL gig. Now excuse me I need to take a bath.

The story as I recall was that Cody and his father, took more of Gillis' time than the rest of the team combined.  I suspect that it was mainly the father being an entitled pain in the ass.  But in my opinion, the Sabres may have been the only team willing to make a deal for Coho because they felt that Kassian was an equal problem.  So it was a case of swapping problems.  Who won the trade is a matter of opinion.

12 years?  I never would have believed it.  He finally settled down in Edmonton and was somewhat productive after his drug issues in Vancouver and Montreal.  I don't remember the details of how he got from Vancouver to Montreal but I do remember that he was placed on a rehab program in Van and wasn't playing for a time.  It didn't work because he clearly had drug issues in Montreal when he crashed his car with his girl friend in it one night.  I applaud Zack for being able to conquer his demons and carry on with his career.  

Edit, just looking at Kassian's stats.  He never played a game for Montreal.

Edited by Crabcakes

5 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Believe me I was that way, Like why would I do this until you try it once.. I think at least for me, alcohol was the bigger issue..Once that gets in your system you kinda become careless..the industry I work in it's always around us..It was my birthday on the 22nd, all of the booze and yay I had I gave it away, I'm done..time to turn a new leaf...Btw I ended up in the drunk tank the next day so have a laugh at my expense, I ain't even mad.

I will never laugh at a man that has both the strength and fortitude to best his demons and addictions and turn his life around.  Be proud of yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I will never laugh at a man that has both the strength and fortitude to best his demons and addictions and turn his life around.  Be proud of yourself. 

Thank you brother, Also for restoring faith in humanity..I absolutely have nothing against the police and I told them just let me grab a cab and go home, It's cool maybe I needed that wake up call..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crimson JH said:

I don’t agree, he was good for the first few years, and declined quickly afterwards.. 

Are you talking about Bo Horvat or Christian Ehrhoff?

image.png.587ce7041cadde3fe89022888fd2e688.png

image.png.b348dbde43d9db349fc6bd36a090f8be.png

Ehrhoff did everything he could to keep the Sabres afloat.  But his body just couldn't handle the strain forever.

For those interested, I'm sure this would've turned some heads back in the day:

image.png.33d59f3eb84f078494db98a334897693.png image.png.c515d153f03acba00b753e9ddc28e281.png

9 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Zacman overcame a lot. As a Canuck he stood up for his teammates, often without any backup. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Are you talking about Bo Horvat or Christian Ehrhoff?

image.png.587ce7041cadde3fe89022888fd2e688.png

image.png.b348dbde43d9db349fc6bd36a090f8be.png

Ehrhoff did everything he could to keep the Sabres afloat.  But his body just couldn't handle the strain forever.

For those interested, I'm sure this would've turned some heads back in the day:

image.png.33d59f3eb84f078494db98a334897693.png image.png.c515d153f03acba00b753e9ddc28e281.png

I don't think that Hodgson/Kassian comparison should surprise anybody. Hodgson was on a 20 goal pace as a rookie while Kassian had spent more time in the AHL than NHL that year. Kassian was acquired because Gillis was worried about physicality come playoffs and also because he supposedly didn't want to deal with Hodgson/his dad anymore.