[PROPOSAL] The Connor McDavid Trade Thread

Here we go...

He's not staying in that shitshow.  He's as good as gone...

I'll start it off here...

To Edmonton:

Adam Fox

Alexis Lafreniere

Brennan Othmann

2024 1st round pick

2025 1st round pick

To New York Rangers:

Connor McDavid

Honestly, from what I can see the Rangers would be the only team that could trade for him.  Fox doesn't have a NTC, so he's easy to move and would be the best player the Oilers could get on the open market who doesn't have a NTC.  

Bring it on.  The more trade proposals the better.  Let's have some fun, at the Oilers expense...   😊

I don't seriously think he's leaving, but it's fun to think of trades. I think Fox is probably the #2 defenseman in the league right now, so his value is no joke...but McDavid is generational. I think it'd take even more than your proposal to get McDavid. Ditch Othmann and make it Zibanejad and Edmonton might do it. If that's too much for the Rags to give up, changed one of the 1sts to a 2nd or 3rd.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I don't seriously think he's leaving, but it's fun to think of trades. I think Fox is probably the #2 defenseman in the league right now, so his value is no joke...but McDavid is generational. I think it'd take even more than your proposal to get McDavid. Ditch Othmann and make it Zibanejad and Edmonton might do it. If that's too much for the Rags to give up, changed one of the 1sts to a 2nd or 3rd.

I was thinking of starting the proposal with Zibanejad.  Two problems.  First problem is he has a NMC, so he isn't going to Edmonton.  This is going to be a problem for most trade proposals involving McDavid.  That's why Fox makes the most sense.  Unless he wants to hold out, he couldn't veto the trade and he's locked up for 6 more years so it's good for Edmonton.  2nd problem is the cap wouldn't work as Zibanejad and Fox together is $18 million in salary.  Edmonton would have to send a player or two back.

If New York includes Zibanejad, then Edmonton would have to include Kane and Kulak to balance the cap.  It would have to be an even bigger deal...

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was thinking of starting the proposal with Zibanejad.  Two problems.  First problem is he has a NMC, so he isn't going to Edmonton.  This is going to be a problem for most trade proposals involving McDavid.  That's why Fox makes the most sense.  Unless he wants to hold out, he couldn't veto the trade and he's locked up for 6 more years so it's good for Edmonton.  2nd problem is the cap wouldn't work as Zibanejad and Fox together is $18 million in salary.  Edmonton would have to send a player or two back.

If New York includes Zibanejad, then Edmonton would have to include Kane and Kulak to balance the cap.  It would have to be an even bigger deal...

This might be the only way Edmonton manages to get rid of Nurse.   Otherwise, they'd have to flip most of the return just to get someone to take him and his contract.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I can't see McDavid being traded anytime soon, but I can definitely see him leaving when he becomes a UFA.   

As far as fantasy trade proposals go, I could see Buffalo potentially being a good fit.   

Dylan Cozens, Owen Power, and a 1st round pick would be starting points.

Buffalo was actually the only other team I could think of with the assets to trade that don't have NTC's.  I was thinking the Rangers would be bolden to make the move.  But Buffalo could have the same feeling.  Remember, they were supposed to get McDavid but lost the lottery to Edmonton and ended up with Eichel.  This could be their revenge trade.

I think those 2 players would be the ones Edmonton would want.  Buffalo would probably have to add another 1st round pick, so basically 4 firsts.  And maybe another prospect too...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Evan Bouchard for Conor Garland:hurhur:

Why in holy hell would the Canucks do this?  Garland is a useful player, no need to trade him for a guy who belongs in the ECHL who also has a terrible contract with term.  Let that pylon rot in Edmonton where his refusal to learn how to play defence is tolerated.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This might be the only way Edmonton manages to get rid of Nurse.   Otherwise, they'd have to flip most of the return just to get someone to take him and his contract.

So McDavid and Nurse for Fox, Zibanejad and Lafreniere plus the draft picks.  That could work too...

Nurse and Zibanejad would have to waive their NMC's however...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Why in holy hell would the Canucks do this?  Garland is a useful player, no need to trade him for a guy who belongs in the ECHL who also has a terrible contract with term.  Let that pylon rot in Edmonton where his refusal to learn how to play defence is tolerated.

Dude, I wasn’t serious. Having said that, I think Gonchar and Foote could help make him an adequate defender. 

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, fair points. Cap crossed my mind, but I didn't bother to check if it worked. If he somehow waived, yeah maybe sending Kane back and then adding even more for NYR would make it work. Either prospects or more picks so cap isn't messy.

• Cheers 1

If the Oilers trade McD, there's got to be another, star center going back.  Otherwise there's no way they could begin to fill the McJesus sized hole created by his departure.

For a team like the Rangers, one of their top 3 C's (Zibanejad, Trocheck++ or Chytil++) has to be going back, along with Fox, and maybe one of Miller or Lindgren.  If they're going to build around Draisaitl as the #1 C, they will need that #2 C, along with some other blue line pieces to round out the back end.  Add some quality futures (mostly picks, maybe some prospects if the Oilers like) and that's going to be the return required.

• Cheers 1

Remember, for those who think this is a fantasy trade, Wayne Gretzky was traded after he turned 27 years old in the summer of 1988 after 9 years with the Oilers.  Connor McDavid will be 27 years old in 3 months.  So, he will also be 27 years old next summer and played 9 years with the Oilers.  And furthermore, Edmonton is going to have to make a decision on Drasaitl next summer as well.  He will be in the last year of his contract before going UFA, so effectively the Oilers either need to give Drasaitl a 14x8 or 15x8 extension in the summer or they need to trade him.  So, the Oilers may have no choice but to trade McDavid, especially if they don't even make the playoffs this year.

McDavid will likely force a trade if the Oilers don't even make the playoffs...

9 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If the Oilers trade McD, there's got to be another, star center going back.  Otherwise there's no way they could begin to fill the McJesus sized hole created by his departure.

For a team like the Rangers, one of their top 3 C's (Zibanejad, Trocheck++ or Chytil++) has to be going back, along with Fox, and maybe one of Miller or Lindgren.  If they're going to build around Draisaitl as the #1 C, they will need that #2 C, along with some other blue line pieces to round out the back end.  Add some quality futures (mostly picks, maybe some prospects if the Oilers like) and that's going to be the return required.

IMO, Fox would be the main piece going back.  He's one of the best Dmen in the NHL, and he doesn't have trade protection.  Multiple first round picks as well need to go back.  And probably a prospect too.  Then you need another roster player.  I had Lafreniere in my deal as the Oilers may want him and play him with Draisaitl.  But to your point they may want Trocheck or Chytil instead.  Not sure the Rangers would give up another top 4 Dman as well.  Maybe they give them Lafreniere and Chytil instead along with Fox and multiple firsts and a prospect.  Edmonton would need to send another contract back to balance the cap...

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McBaby is done in Edmonton Bob, we all know it...

You know who's not done in New York?  This kid.

image.png.307c55a07b87d43d4e5634a1644bb7c9.png

He absolutely strongarmed his way onto the Rangers.  Good luck prying him away from MSG now.  Maybe he'll piss off James Dolan and it'll be talked about on New York Post all month long.  That is the one and only way he'd ever leave.  Nobody is going to wear #23 for the Rangers again after Fox retires.

Aside from that, it is interesting for you to pair two opposites in a trade.  One is an offensive juggernaut who was built in a hockey laboratory.  Speedy hands and even faster speed to the point that his linemates can barely keep up.  NHL Edge naturally has McDavid as one of the fastest skaters in the league (surprisingly behind Brayden Point).  Pure skill.

One of the slowest skaters in the league according to NHL Edge?  Adam Fox.  He is at the bottom percentile of all first-pairing D-men for speed and distance skated.  He moves like a turtle and slows the play down to a crawl.  What this actually does is it gets the rest of his team involved in the play.  Rather than being built in a hockey lab, he is built like an IBM Chess Robot, always making the right decision on and off the puck.  He's like a modern Nicklas Lidström but slower and smarter.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Remember, for those who think this is a fantasy trade, Wayne Gretzky was traded after he turned 27 years old in the summer of 1988 after 9 years with the Oilers.  Connor McDavid will be 27 years old in 3 months.  So, he will also be 27 years old next summer and played 9 years with the Oilers.  And furthermore, Edmonton is going to have to make a decision on Drasaitl next summer as well.  He will be in the last year of his contract before going UFA, so effectively the Oilers either need to give Drasaitl a 14x8 or 15x8 extension in the summer or they need to trade him.  So, the Oilers may have no choice but to trade McDavid, especially if they don't even make the playoffs this year.

McDavid will likely force a trade if the Oilers don't even make the playoffs...

You are opening an infamous page in the long history book of the NHL: "The Trade".

Never say never, but I don't think you will ever again see those circumstances which led to Gretzky getting traded.  I can only imagine the media frenzy that Edmonton had to go through during that spell.

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You are opening an infamous page in the long history book of the NHL: "The Trade".

Never say never, but I don't think you will ever again see those circumstances which led to Gretzky getting traded.  I can only imagine the media frenzy that Edmonton had to go through during that spell.

I was there Bob, I watched the entire thing unfold from start to finish.  Gretzky is my favourite player of all time.  So, I watched every second of the tv when it all happened in real time.  There was no internet or social media at the time.  

It was almost like a dream really, like it wasn't really happening.  I mean, the Oilers had just won their 4th cup in 5 years.  They were a dynasty and the players were all still in their prime years.  But they had already traded Coffey the year before, so the dismantling of the dynasty was slowly taking place.  From what I remember, it all happened quite quickly.  There was no internet or social media, so the first we heard of it was on the tv, on CBC most likely.  It was the summer time and everyone was just relaxing and getting ready for the new season.  And then all of a sudden, the rumours starting flooding the tv.  I didn't believe it at first, I didn't want to believe it.  But after a few days, Gretzky came out himself and did the press conference and told everyone it was true.  That was one of the worst days of my life really.  

After Gretzky was traded, everything changed.  The Oilers eventually traded everyone.  They won another cup without Gretzky, a cup they should really not have won, Boston was the better team that year, but Ranford stood on his head similar to what Tim Thomas did to us in 2011.  The hockey world changed too.  Edmonton was no longer the powerhosue team any longer.  And Pittsburgh took over with Lemieux and Jagr, and then eventually several other teams in the 1990's and 2000's.  The dynasty was finished forever.

I see a similar situation today.  The major difference is that Edmonton today is not a dynasty.  They haven't even won a cup.  They are looking like they may not even make the playoffs.  It's still a long season, so we will see what happens.  But if the Oilers are not even close to the playoffs by Christmas, then something big is going to happen.  They may fire the coach first.  But if that doesn't work, then you are looking at a summer where they need to extend Draisiatl and McDavid is going to be pissed.

It's all starting to implode in Edmonton.  It's gonna get ugly over there...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was there Bob, I watched the entire thing unfold from start to finish.  Gretzky is my favourite player of all time.  So, I watched every second of the tv when it all happened in real time.  There was no internet or social media at the time.  

It was almost like a dream really, like it wasn't really happening.  I mean, the Oilers had just won their 4th cup in 5 years.  They were a dynasty and the players were all still in their prime years.  But they had already traded Coffey the year before, so the dismantling of the dynasty was slowly taking place.  From what I remember, it all happened quite quickly.  There was no internet or social media, so the first we heard of it was on the tv, on CBC most likely.  It was the summer time and everyone was just relaxing and getting ready for the new season.  And then all of a sudden, the rumours starting flooding the tv.  I didn't believe it at first, I didn't want to believe it.  But after a few days, Gretzky came out himself and did the press conference and told everyone it was true.  That was one of the worst days of my life really.  

After Gretzky was traded, everything changed.  The Oilers eventually traded everyone.  They won another cup without Gretzky, a cup they should really not have won, Boston was the better team that year, but Ranford stood on his head similar to what Tim Thomas did to us in 2011.  The hockey world changed too.  Edmonton was no longer the powerhosue team any longer.  And Pittsburgh took over with Lemieux and Jagr, and then eventually several other teams in the 1990's and 2000's.  The dynasty was finished forever.

I see a similar situation today.  The major difference is that Edmonton today is not a dynasty.  They haven't even won a cup.  They are looking like they may not even make the playoffs.  It's still a long season, so we will see what happens.  But if the Oilers are not even close to the playoffs by Christmas, then something big is going to happen.  They may fire the coach first.  But if that doesn't work, then you are looking at a summer where they need to extend Draisiatl and McDavid is going to be pissed.

It's all starting to implode in Edmonton.  It's gonna get ugly over there...

image.png.9f7a7006235c4580bf7d69f865abb09f.png 

Edited by Miss Korea