[PROPOSAL] The Connor McDavid Trade Thread

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Buffalo was actually the only other team I could think of with the assets to trade that don't have NTC's.  I was thinking the Rangers would be bolden to make the move.  But Buffalo could have the same feeling.  Remember, they were supposed to get McDavid but lost the lottery to Edmonton and ended up with Eichel.  This could be their revenge trade.

I think those 2 players would be the ones Edmonton would want.  Buffalo would probably have to add another 1st round pick, so basically 4 firsts.  And maybe another prospect too...

We have a superstar centre who needs a new contract. Would we move him for McBaby Whiner? Straight up one for one. 

• Like 1

@Elias Pettersson It is my understanding that the whole debacle begins and ends with Peter Pocklington.  Sather trades Coffey (earning half what Bourque was earning) because Pocklington was too cheap.  Craig Simpson took some of the sting off, but Pocklington was still bleeding cash and opted to put up the Oilers as collateral.  If the Rangers could afford to pay a geriatric dinosaur Marcel Dionne 700K, how could Gretzky earn less than that?  And in $CAD to make matters worse!

In any case, Darryl Katz is not Peter Pocklington and the only team that could go through that kind of misery now is if Arizona trades Clayton Keller.  I honestly think Oilers fans would rather see McJesus walk in free agency than watch yet another tissue-heavy trade press conference.  

Yea 0 chances McDavid is staying in Edmonton if they haven't won a cup yet by the time hes UFA. But Edmonton isn't already making moves early like hiring his past agent to be Oiler's president, that's lol. All 31 teams are going to bid for McDavid, the offers are going to be insane. Cap isn't that big of a problem either, since you probably will/have to attach 1 or 2 of your star player to the trade to Edmonton. 

• Like 1

Every team in the league could use him of course but who has the assets to pay for him? Surely you're looking at a Gretzky-like trade here. Equivalent of what, 5 firsts?

I think a deal like this essentially makes Draisaitl their 1st line center so they'd be looking at pinching another team's top line center (say some PPG+ center), a top-pairing defenceman, another top-6 forward to give the Oilers some depth and then another top piece (either a forward or defenceman) and probably no picks then if the Oilers still want to contend now. What they really need is a goalie though so replace one of those top guys with a decent goalie.

The asking price would destroy the other team and make it not worth it but how about...

TO BOS: Connor McDavid + one of their trash goalies

TO EDM: Swayman or Ullmark + Zacha + Lindholm + DeBrusk (+ 1st if necessary?)

Edmonton get a proper starting goalie, Zacha's the best center Boston have to give up so can fill 3C minutes (as RNH plays 2C) and the key is they're all good defensive players.

Boston essentially shed their depth and make the strongest line in hockey. Pastrnak, McDavid and Marchand is insane. Edmonton win the trade though and get exactly what they need to become a team again. Draisaitl, RNH and Zacha down the middle with an extra winger, a top-pairing defenceman who can play both ways and a starting goalie for a change.

Draisaitl is probably the more tradeable option. 2 years left on an 8.5M deal and he's only 28. He could be a top line center anywhere in the league and Edmonton could get a goalie and top pairing shutdown defenceman back. 

Draisaitl to Boston for Swayman/Ullmark + Lindholm + 1st?

Boston have the capacity to lose their 2nd best defenceman and one of their two solid goalies. In return they get the 2nd best center in the league, something that team desperately needs. I know they've looked good so far this season but they're not going to get far or do well long-term with Charlie Coyle and Zacha as their top 2 centers. He fits their style so well and boy would he and Pastrnak and Marchand cause problems in the playoffs.

Edited by DownUndaCanuck
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Every team in the league could use him of course but who has the assets to pay for him? Surely you're looking at a Gretzky-like trade here. Equivalent of what, 5 firsts?

I think a deal like this essentially makes Draisaitl their 1st line center so they'd be looking at pinching another team's top line center (say some PPG+ center), a top-pairing defenceman, another top-6 forward to give the Oilers some depth and then another top piece (either a forward or defenceman) and probably no picks then if the Oilers still want to contend now. What they really need is a goalie though so replace one of those top guys with a decent goalie.

The asking price would destroy the other team and make it not worth it but how about...

TO BOS: Connor McDavid + one of their trash goalies

TO EDM: Swayman or Ullmark + Zacha + Lindholm + DeBrusk (+ 1st if necessary?)

Edmonton get a proper starting goalie, Zacha's the best center Boston have to give up so can fill 3C minutes (as RNH plays 2C) and the key is they're all good defensive players.

Boston essentially shed their depth and make the strongest line in hockey. Pastrnak, McDavid and Marchand is insane. Edmonton win the trade though and get exactly what they need to become a team again. Draisaitl, RNH and Zacha down the middle with an extra winger, a top-pairing defenceman who can play both ways and a starting goalie for a change.

The only way that gets done is if McAvoy is one of the pieces going the other way. 

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

We have a superstar centre who needs a new contract. Would we move him for McBaby Whiner? Straight up one for one. 

It would take more than just the alien, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

McBaby is a generational phenom, Petey isn't (he IS as you said, a superstar though)

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

@Elias Pettersson It is my understanding that the whole debacle begins and ends with Peter Pocklington.  Sather trades Coffey (earning half what Bourque was earning) because Pocklington was too cheap.  Craig Simpson took some of the sting off, but Pocklington was still bleeding cash and opted to put up the Oilers as collateral.  If the Rangers could afford to pay a geriatric dinosaur Marcel Dionne 700K, how could Gretzky earn less than that?  And in $CAD to make matters worse!

In any case, Darryl Katz is not Peter Pocklington and the only team that could go through that kind of misery now is if Arizona trades Clayton Keller.  I honestly think Oilers fans would rather see McJesus walk in free agency than watch yet another tissue-heavy trade press conference.  

Yes, Pocklington was cheap.  From what I remember Gretzky was earning more than Dionne.  However, the biggest problem was that Gretzky was in the last year of his contract and he refused to sign a new deal with Edmonton.  Obviously he wasn't offered what he wanted.  But he did admit in interviews that he wanted to play out the year and then see what happens in free agancy.

At that point, Pocklington had no choice but to trade him and Gretzky even admitted this was true.  At the end of the day, there was no way Edmonton could ever pay what Gretzky was really worth.  And Pocklington had to compete with an owner in LA with deep pockets who obtained all of his money from fraud to buy LA and also to get Gretzky.

That LA team was bought and paid for by fraudulent means, it was the only way to get all those guys together so quickly.  They almost won a cup too.  Too bad.  That would have been an even greater legacy if Gretzky was able to win a cup or two in LA...

12 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Dylan Cozens, Owen Power, and a 1st round pick would be starting points.

I think Buffalo could be an interested party. They would need to take some extra cap from Edmonton to fit it all I think. 

To Buff:

McDavid

Kane

To Edm:

Owen Power

Cozens
2-3 first round picks

Something like that perhaps? Edmonton moves off Kane who is still a decent scorer but is hot and cold. They bring in two signed young guys that slot right in plus a bunch of draft picks (can be swapped out for a prospect if that works better). 

Honestly not the worst outcome for Edmonton. They get two signed studs plus fill the cupboard with picks/prospects. Buff is ready to take the step and start competing led by McDavid, Dahlin and TT. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

McDavid to Buffalo for Tage Thompson and Rasmus Dahlin.  

That might be not something Buffalo is willing to do, but I think they are a good trade partner. 

Maybe more like what I suggested above:

On 10/27/2023 at 12:12 PM, Bobby James said:

To Buff:

McDavid

Kane

To Edm:

Owen Power

Cozens
2-3 first round picks

Edmonton gets long term signed young players back that will only get better plus some picks to stock the cupboard. Buffalo takes the final step and is now contending and should be aiming for deep cup runs. 

• Cheers 1

No elite team Ie Rangers etc are going to disrupt their team to the extent it would require to acquire McDavid.

The only high end team that would entertain the idea is Boston because they have two very good goalies and wouldn’t have to trade 3 or 4 key positional players.

Buffalo makes the most sense for multiple reasons. First, they have cap space which will make any trade with Edmonton much easier to make.

Second, they have a lot of good young players that they could still surround McDavid with a good group of players on defence, the forwards and in net.

Lastly they haven’t been successful yet so there will be more desire to make the trade than teams that are already winning and don’t want to risk upsetting the locker room.

Edited by Kage17

Repeat of the Gretzky trade?  McDavid goes to a young, talented team like the Kings.

to LA - Connor McDavid

to EDM - Pierre-Luc Dubois, Michael Anderson, 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Dubois would not do well in EDM

Edited by Nucker67

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

McDavid is locked up.  Much easier to trade Leon Draisaitl who is not guaranteed to sign an extension, plus he is a lot cheaper than McDavid.

Given how the Oilers' season has started, it's not out of the realm of possibility that McD asks out.  He's also historically been able to elevate his teammates so if I'm them I know that he has immense value that other teams would want again if he demands a move.  Leon's also very strong defensively (as well as all-around) and a #1 C in his own right, so if I'm the Oilers I would want to trade the highest valued asset knowing that they can just move Leon and RNH up one spot each respectively, and they would have the assets to round out the rest of their roster.

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Given how the Oilers' season has started, it's not out of the realm of possibility that McD asks out.  He's also historically been able to elevate his teammates so if I'm them I know that he has immense value that other teams would want again if he demands a move.  Leon's also very strong defensively (as well as all-around) and a #1 C in his own right, so if I'm the Oilers I would want to trade the highest valued asset knowing that they can just move Leon and RNH up one spot each respectively, and they would have the assets to round out the rest of their roster.

So there are a couple of points of contention I have with your response.

First one is the difficulty of trading McDavid.  He earns $12.5 million.  It is not easy to move that much salary in the middle of the season.  In order for that to work, the receiving team would have to be competitive enough to want such a blockbuster trade, and have the ability to move that much money back in return.  Say Colorado goes for some crazy trade.  They can't.  All of their players earning more than $4M are on NTCs or NMCs.  So you need two or three guys to waive their clauses and agree to go to a firesale team in Edmonton.  In the middle of the season.  Perhaps in the offseason they can make a trade happen, but keep in mind trading your generational talent is something that'll get you fired.  Ken Holland is not the type of GM to do things for the betterment of the team.  He is out to protect his own skin.  We saw it when he refused to step aside for Steve Yzerman in Detroit.

Trading Leon Draisaitl is much easier.  He is cheaper and on the second-last year of his deal.  And as good as he is, he is not the face of the franchise.  Trading him will be a much easier pill to swallow because everyone knew it was a distinct possibility he'd walk in free agency.  But your belief that he is an all-round player with good defensive ability... is simply not based in reality.  He is one of the most offensively gifted talents and one of the best players in the league.  That doesn't mean he's a good defender by any standard.  He does not backcheck and he does not kill penalties.

image.png.5dcd8a86411b1750493653dd0e306ded.png