The Calgary Flames are a mess

• 3 weeks later...

I read a Flames blog post today that bemoans the team’s lack of depth and how the long term injury to Jakob Pelletier has really shown how bad their depth on the wings is. The author complains that years of poor drafting and lack of player development is really starting to show. Looking at their roster, I tend to agree. Of course, it doesn’t help when the two best players they had abandoned ship. But hey, they’re getting a new arena, so there’s that.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

I read a Flames blog post today that bemoans the team’s lack of depth and how the long term injury to Jakob Pelletier has really shown how bad their depth on the wings is. The author complains that years of poor drafting and lack of player development is really starting to show. Looking at their roster, I tend to agree. Of course, it doesn’t help when the two best players they had abandoned ship. But hey, they’re getting a new arena, so there’s that.

To be honest, F the stinking Cowpies. We don’t care about that smelling club. 

Just now, Alflives said:

To be honest, F the stinking Cowpies. We don’t care about that smelling club. 

I get where you are (always) coming from, Alf. I thought it might be interesting to learn what actual Calgary fans/writers think of the state of their team. This is, after all, a Flames thread. And if you hate them so much, why are you lurking in a Flames thread? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

I get where you are (always) coming from, Alf. I thought it might be interesting to learn what actual Calgary fans/writers think of the state of their team. This is, after all, a Flames thread. And if you hate them so much, why are you lurking in a Flames thread? 

Because it’s in our Canucks board. So any Loser Lames thread would be to mock that team and the smelly city of losers they represent.

This is a Canucks fan forum, no? 
F the smellie Cowpies and the loser city and fans. (Okay Alf’s in-laws are from there. But who can blame them for moving out here?) 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Because it’s in our Canucks board. So any Loser Lames thread would be to mock that team and the smelly city of losers they represent.

This is a Canucks fan forum, no? 
F the smellie Cowpies and the loser city and fans. (Okay Alf’s in-laws are from there. But who can blame them for moving out here?) 

So this is Mrs. Alf?

3D97C202-E249-4DFF-A80F-D2C1FE7B2AC1.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone's surprised by how bad Edmonton look but I'm not - they've never paid any attention to defence in that organization let alone goaltending. Of course they whoop Calgary in the outdoor game but that's an even worse team over there. Ironically they have great defensive personnel and poor offensive output from their stars. 

It's like watching the Canucks last year. No chance Calgary make the playoffs so they're going to surely make some big time roster moves during the season. Hanifin talking about staying is wild when he sees what's going on. They don't really have the option of trying to tank and be sellers with those stupidly big contracts so their only option is to try and win their way out, but at what point do you cut your losses? Pretty much all of their D's contracts are expiring next year and that's their only strong point. All of their forwards are overpaid and getting far too old. You know Lindholm and Hanifin are going to want to get paid and they don't have any space for that without letting a D walk.

They should look at trying to get younger but their only good trade pieces are really Mangiapagne and maybe Hanifin, or a rental like Tanev or Zadorov. Huberdeau and Kadri have really ruined that team.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Everyone's surprised by how bad Edmonton look but I'm not - they've never paid any attention to defence in that organization let alone goaltending. Of course they whoop Calgary in the outdoor game but that's an even worse team over there. Ironically they have great defensive personnel and poor offensive output from their stars. 

It's like watching the Canucks last year. No chance Calgary make the playoffs so they're going to surely make some big time roster moves during the season. Hanifin talking about staying is wild when he sees what's going on. They don't really have the option of trying to tank and be sellers with those stupidly big contracts so their only option is to try and win their way out, but at what point do you cut your losses? Pretty much all of their D's contracts are expiring next year and that's their only strong point. All of their forwards are overpaid and getting far too old. You know Lindholm and Hanifin are going to want to get paid and they don't have any space for that without letting a D walk.

They should look at trying to get younger but their only good trade pieces are really Mangiapagne and maybe Hanifin, or a rental like Tanev or Zadorov. Huberdeau and Kadri have really ruined that team.

Oilers: Look at the TOI on the game sheets. The Oiler bottom 6 aren't getting much. How do you build a contender doing that? 

Flamers: Big problems. Huberdeau has been a bust as a top line player. Florida scored 2x getting Tkachuk and unloading Huberdeau. Sorry to those Canuck fans who dream of recovering Tanev but he is more a 3rd pairing guy now. Dube and Mangi should be grabbing the limelite and they are doing that yet. If nothing changes much in November the Flames will have to start blowing it up. It isn't as if they don't have some talent in the AHL. Their NHL pieces could bring back a lot of talent. 

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Oilers: Look at the TOI on the game sheets. The Oiler bottom 6 aren't getting much. How do you build a contender doing that? 

Flamers: Big problems. Huberdeau has been a bust as a top line player. Florida scored 2x getting Tkachuk and unloading Huberdeau. Sorry to those Canuck fans who dream of recovering Tanev but he is more a 3rd pairing guy now. Dube and Mangi should be grabbing the limelite and they are doing that yet. If nothing changes much in November the Flames will have to start blowing it up. It isn't as if they don't have some talent in the AHL. Their NHL pieces could bring back a lot of talent. 

I don't see an easy way out for the Flames. They can try and patch up this old, failing team, they can try a new coaching staff, but it clearly hasn't worked. They're going to have to rebuild at one point, if not now or in a couple of years, then in 3-5 years time. Might as well blow it right up now when they have so many good rental pieces they can off-load.

Hanifin surely gets a 1st and maybe a decent prospect or young player. Same for Lindholm. They're prime guys, of relatively good age in a contract year. 

Mang probably fetches what, a good 2nd and prospect although he's playing well so far so at the TDL if he's on pace for a 30+ goal season surely that's a 1st.

They can easily trade one or both of Tanev and Zadorov at the TDL as a rental, won't get much in return but they'll get something.

Suddenly, you've flipped a lot of players in their prime for what...three firsts and some good prospects?

They'll obviously have to go down with the Huby and Kadri ship but should start moving out prime players now, acquire top picks and prospects and start the rebuild. I think we might see some interesting changes come TDL because they're not going anywhere. If they're hovering around a playoff spot you know they'll be too proud to blow it up, but if they're at the bottom of the league like they are right now, it's surely over. Might as well do it this season.

• Vintage 1