The Calgary Flames are a mess

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I don't understand what you're trying to suggest here.  Are you trying to tell me NOBODY will sign with Calgary just because the city is cold? 

no, I'm suggesting its not a prime destination for UFAs

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Even though they have a lot of roster space and cap space?  So after they trade Hanifin and Tanev, they're just gonna fail to sign anyone in the summer?

thats my point, sure they can overpay to land some guys, but then the roster will still be meh.

Its time to reboot in cowtown, but I'm also quite happy if they want to stay in the meh middle for years. 

35 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Move out Weegar, Mangiapanne,  Markstrom, Andersson, Tanev, Hanifin, Kuzmenko retain on Backlund if you have to in his final year and send him to a contender. SIGN interim vet players on short deals to allow cap flexibility throughout the rebuilding years. They’re fucked with Kadri and Huberdeau so it makes no sense to hold onto guys who could dramatically increase the speed of a rebuild. Take oh someones deadweight to send guys on long term deals out and acquire as many picks and prospects as possible.

Just look at how far behind Calgary is from their draft results the last 10 years. They will take a millennium to rebuild if they half ass it. Shit or get off the pot. They have guys with value that could help turn things around long term. Every player i listed is 27+ there may be 2-3 great seasons left and then its all downhill and declining value. They should be jumping all over it while the value is high and talent in their system is low.

Meh, I think Weegar and Andersson stay. Possibly Markstrom too, it depends on what teams offer. Everyone else is probably on the table. 

I've heard that teams have poked at Andersson but I've yet to hear anything regarding Weegar. I think Calgary tries to retain Andersson, I don't think they're interested in moving Weegar. Someone's gotta play NHL level defense for them. Both defenseman can help bring prospects and young NHL'ers along. 

As I said, Calgary's probably in for some pain, but even rebuilding teams typically opt to keep some veteran presence around. 

I understand that these are pieces that hold trade value, but I'm not expecting Calgary to go scorched earth. 

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Meh, I think Weegar and Andersson stay. Possibly Markstrom too, it depends on what teams offer. Everyone else is probably on the table. 

I've heard that teams have poked at Andersson but I've yet to hear anything regarding Weegar. I think Calgary tries to retain Andersson, I don't think they're interested in moving Weegar. Someone's gotta play NHL level defense for them. Both defenseman can help bring prospects and young NHL'ers along. 

As I said, Calgary's probably in for some pain, but even rebuilding teams typically opt to keep some veteran presence around. 

I understand that these are pieces that hold trade value, but I'm not expecting Calgary to go scorched earth. 

Based on their draft record… they might want to consider going scorched earth. They could go out and sign veteran players to hold spots and remain somewhat competitive in low scoring games and help shelter youth and develop them in the NHL. 

Edited by AnthonyG

29 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Based on their draft record… they might want to consider going scorched earth. They could go out and sign veteran players to hold spots and remain somewhat competitive in low scoring games and help shelter youth and develop them in the NHL. 

You're not wrong, but I'll be surprised if they do 

Guess time will tell

I'm actually hoping they have success at rebuilding/retooling, the Calgary and Edmonton games are more fun when the other team can legitimately compete imo

Beating on them during the Sedin era was fun but the rivalry is more fun when both teams are actually good

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

no, I'm suggesting its not a prime destination for UFAs

thats my point, sure they can overpay to land some guys, but then the roster will still be meh.

Its time to reboot in cowtown, but I'm also quite happy if they want to stay in the meh middle for years. 

You don't have to be a prime destination for UFAs to acquire the right set of guys for a decent price.  Trust me - a player will sign a short term deal in Calgary as long as the salary is reasonable.  These guys want playing time and there is tons of opportunity on forward and defence.  You need to get this anti-Calgary bias out of your head.  At the end of the day, they're a hockey team like any other, and they don't need to do anything extraordinary to attract SHORT TERM talent.

Full on rebuild is a crazy idea when you don't even have your first round draft pick for next year.

Edited by Miss Korea

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

You don't have to be a prime destination for UFAs to acquire the right set of guys for a decent price.  Trust me - a player will sign a short term deal in Calgary as long as the salary is reasonable.  These guys want playing time and there is tons of opportunity on forward and defence.  You need to get this anti-Calgary bias out of your head.  At the end of the day, they're a hockey team like any other, and they don't need to do anything extraordinary to attract SHORT TERM talent.

Full on rebuild is a crazy idea when you don't even have your first round draft pick for next year.

its well documented tho from player polls, Calgary is not top of mind for guys. Sure, maybe they'll overpay for some guys on day 2 of free agency. 

Flames are 26-13-4 with Pospisil since having him in the lineup. He runs everyone over and agitates. Last night he took out Seattle’s top pairing (Dunn & Larson) and refuses to answer for it when challenged. Although his hit was dirty that injured Dunn so he might finally face discipline from the league. 

I feel like if they’re in the playoffs with a couple regular seasons game left, he’ll be trying his best to hit to injure. We desperately need some toughness added to this lineup this week. 

Just now, Northern_Nuck said:

Flames are 26-13-4 with Pospisil since having him in the lineup. He runs everyone over and agitates. Last night he took out Seattle’s top pairing (Dunn & Larson) and refuses to answer for it when challenged. Although his hit was dirty that injured Dunn so he might finally face discipline from the league. 

I feel like if they’re in the playoffs with a couple regular seasons game left, he’ll be trying his best to hit to injure. We desperately need some toughness added to this lineup this week. 

Flames have Kuz Missile. They lose when he scores, and he’s heating up. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Popsicle is a dumb dumb. He's running his way into concussion LTIR sooner than later.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

No, Huburdeau had one point in 10 games prior to Kuz showing up. He had 3, points in the first game he played with Kuz on the Powerplay. 

So he had one good game with Kuzy?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

So he had one good game with Kuzy?

Nope, I’m saying that since Kuz arrived something in Huburdeau sparked that has him remembering how to be a top line NHL player again. 

Not a flames fan by any means. But where I work, we have lots of trades guys(half of them are from Alberta) so I have to hear about flames and oilers at work. 

Nope, I’m saying that since Kuz arrived something in Huburdeau sparked that has him remembering how to be a top line NHL player again. 

Not a flames fan by any means. But where I work, we have lots of trades guys(half of them are from Alberta) so I have to hear about flames and oilers at work. 

Dunno, feels like a stretch to me but I guess anything is possible.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Nah, Huberdeau has been heating up since Dec 31st.  Well before Kuz got there.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

You’re right. He was on a .7ppg  tear in the month of January. In February he was 1ppg. 

Yeah, trade happened on Jan 31st...

From Dec 31 to Jan 31 - 11 points in 13 games.

From Feb 1 to current - 12 points in 12 games.

25 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

You’re right. He was on a .7ppg  tear in the month of January. In February he was 1ppg. 

Kind of interesting how certain players “heat up” when there is no longer any pressure to win, don’t ya think?

Flames probs don't make the playoffs, but more than likely if they can keep playing competitive hockey down the stretch management will opt to try and compete next season

Mushy middle, sure, but they'll get assets for Hanifin and maybe Markstrom sooner than later

Bolstering their prospect pool while trying to compete is what we tried under Benning, but maybe they could make it work

Teardowns don't guarantee success either

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kind of interesting how certain players “heat up” when there is no longer any pressure to win, don’t ya think?

The whole team is heating up and they're winning games and they're within striking distance of a wildcard spot.  This isn't one guy lighting it up on a horseshit team.

If you want to credit any one guy, it's fucking Jacob Markström.  Had a tough game last night but has been playing like a complete madman.  

Edited by Miss Korea