[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs St Louis Blues, Rogers Place, Oct 27, 7PM PST ... Make 'em sing the Blues Game

Rocket-68

32 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I wouldn't panic at this stage. 

That's what got us in shit to begin with. 

No more giving up 1st's. We need them for the future. 

Sounds like really solid advice which we've ignored to our peril the last 6 years or so. 

25 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Myers is playing so poorly a 9th D from another team slid into our top 4 seamlessly.  That's how atrocious we are on the right side. 

That's so sad really ... but true.

24 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Honestly we need to just let this season ride, and see where we are at at the TDL. We may not need to move a 1st just yet. Salary comes off the books end of year. We are still 2-3 years out IMHO, so of we improve just a bit each year, in 2 year you go all in a trade a 1st.

Sage advice. Still getting that RD we're so lacking may require it. If an opportunity arises we may have to make that move sooner than later. Wouldn't matter if we can get a long term fit. The Miller trade has been paying off ever since it was made.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It would really help if we get new and better players internally, instead of looking to make trades, and give up draft picks to build up the team.

It's amazing the history of this team missing on big picks recently. Virtanen, Jouelevi, Podz is looking like he should have gone in the 2nd round. If just 1 of those 3 had turned out....

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sounds like really solid advice which we've ignored to our peril the last 6 years or so. 

That's so sad really ... but true.

Sage advice. Still getting that RD we're so lacking may require it. If an opportunity arises we may have to make that move sooner than later. Wouldn't matter if we can get a long term fit. The Miller trade has been paying off ever since it was made.

Agreed. If the right trade came along that gave us a top RHD locked up for a few years, then yes you gotta make that trade knowing that it's going to include giving up a 1st. 

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

shoresy-never-lose-again.gif

What Shoresy is really getting right is that fans love the rough stuff as much, if not more than goals. Bums in seats baby. Wish the NHL would stop trying to change that. That scene could be anywhere in Canada.

Bunch a dudes in the box fired up while the fans are losing their minds. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we need to come out firing for this game.. we had so many days of rest and blues is on a back to back.. no first game back long road trip excuse because tmw will be a rested rangers with shesterkin in net

Set the tone Boys... you know.. someone's gotta set the tone. now let's go!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

fans love the rough stuff as much, if not more than goals.

the smarter ones are learning not to. 

I used to appreciate a good fight as much as the next guy, but we've learned that the end results outweigh our mindless entertainment. we need to collectively choose to be better. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

I honestly think JT signing...under JR's management...was a huge overlooked turning point for our retool to work at all.  Benning might well have been scared of the public, and with a dismal record of evaluating pro talent,  had re-signed Bo at 8x8 (hometown discount!)  And then let Miller go because he couldn't pay him.

But it was more than that JT was a much superior player, in a lot of different ways, leadership, hockey sense, toughness. It was that he IMO inspired other players like Hughes, Petey, Boeser, to re-commit to the team as a bonified place to stay and win.  Not meaning to crap on Bo, but he just wasn't the right kind of leader. His heart was in the right place, I just think he took it as some kind of political appointment, rather than an inspirational one. The collective yawn by the other players on the trading away of their captain said it all.

With Bo gone, JT was able to step up more. Just what this club needed.

Miller can draft the team into the fight on nights, when it isn't going to plan.

His aggressiveness and a hard work up front inspires... Bo was a nice bloke, but he rarely dragged us beck into the fight, when we are were on our heels...

The bubble being the one time he really stepped up to the plate together with Motte...

I don't have anything against Bo, but I am glad Miller was the player chosen, if they had to chose between the two... 

Its actually been fun to see, how he reacted to Tocchet more authorial style.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, tas said:

I used to appreciate a good fight as much as the next guy, but we've learned that the end results outweigh our mindless entertainment. we need to collectively choose to be better. 

Personally I don’t like seeing the players mindlessly  taking blows to the head. Life long damage can be done in the blink of an eye or over the longer term. Too much suffering in the end which affects more people than just the players. All for what?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Agreed. If the right trade came along that gave us a top RHD locked up for a few years, then yes you gotta make that trade knowing that it's going to include giving up a 1st. 

That's what I thought of after I'd said I wanted to stop trading away 1st's. 

If there was the right deal for another top RD between 24-26, definitely. Hronek's a great example, and so is Miller. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I realize this is a joke, but there are some Canuck journalists I personally have a lot of respect for.

1. I would start with Chris Faber, who has done a great job covering the prospect for Canucks Army and also does a great job in covering the Abbotsford Canucks. For me personally, he has high value added.

2. I am also impressed by how RIck Dhaliwal is able stay in contact with agents and others and provide good information about what is happening from the player movement and player signings point of view.

3. I also like Iain MacIntyre.  He does not overhype things and I find him pretty reliable.

4. I would also mention Daniel Wagner (Pass it to Bulis on Vancouver is Awesome). He is smart and covers analytics and cap issues well, in addition to general post-game analysis.

5. Satiar Shah and Herm Dayal are also good.

6. FInally, I would mention Canucks Army. In losing Faber they are losing their best contributor, but their enthusiasm is impressive. They are sort of halfway between fans and real journalists and I like them.

Great post, as usual @JamesB

Faber watches prospect games and tape exhaustively, and his coverage of Abby has been excellent. He recently made a reel of D-Petey’s clean breakouts…a great bit of scouting you usually don’t see. 

Dayal has a very intelligent/analytical approach, and also does his homework to bring good data on players (eg. his piece on Hronek, and how his skills would compliment/contrast with Hughes).

Sat Shah has very balanced takes, and is knowledgeable about players throughout the league. He does a good job hosting pregame and post game. Highly recommend the Canucks Central podcast.

Iaian McIntyre gets dry quickly for me, but might just be his meanderings off topic.

The other Canucks media I’ve warmed up to is Jamie Dodd. Drance wasn’t on the last Canucks Talk pod, and JD was pretty good as a solo act. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

image.gif

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Personally I don’t like seeing the players mindlessly  taking blows to the head. Life long damage can be done in the blink of an eye or over the longer term. Too much suffering in the end which affects more people than just the players. All for what?

Not to mention young players focus more on playing hockey. You don't see a lot of players picking fights because they know it's not really a factor unless you let it be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Not to mention young players focus more on playing hockey. You don't see a lot of players picking fights because they know it's not really a factor unless you let it be.

I grow to like and truly appreciate many of the NHL players, almost like they are friends, and it’s disturbing to see them intentionally inflicting concussions upon one another. Can’t imagine how the parents feel seeing their adult children being pummelled in the face and head.