[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs St Louis Blues, Rogers Place, Oct 27, 7PM PST ... Make 'em sing the Blues Game

Rocket-68

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Congratulations!  Always nice to close the deal.

(Also, was wondering where you were...) Cheers!

Thanks ... as for where I am, that depends on the day. Home base is in the Okanagan but on any given moment I can be found as far away as Australia ... with a scotch distillery tour in Scotland planned for December. Anyone interested in joining?

• Cheers 1

Hate to be negative, but I am fully expecting a poor performance tonight.  For as long as I can remember, the first game back after a long eastern road trip has always been a very lethargic affair for the home team.  Hopefully Rick has them playing with some pep and there has been a few rest days, so hopefully I am wrong.

Holy.  Now a couple times i've thought maybe i'd attempt a GDT, but well it would look like this: Phone Call Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Compared to the average ones.  

This was a great one.   Just like the Great One,  a few tiers above the next best.   That said at least I know how to use that tech.   And well GCG!   And JT Miller thank you for signing with us!    

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Last night's roster vs CGY

image.png.4bc0903b468a01195178a9b4748a2837.pngimage.png.7c994670a65c740075ab35106f29e94f.png

Lol.  Binnington, he's got to be due to have a good game against us doesn't he?   The Western version of Murray.   Win a cup, peak after little work and rest on the laurels.   Nah he's not due.   Brock with a hatty tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Thanks ... as for where I am, that depends on the day. Home base is in the Okanagan but on any given moment I can be found as far away as Australia ... with a scotch distillery tour in Scotland planned for December. Anyone interested in joining?

No, I meant missing in action re: the late start to the GDT.

My brother did a similar scotch-type thingy whilst on the oad sod.

He saw a whole railway tank car of scotch, I think it was Chivas, could have been like:

image.png.7ec6d6a72e8589007ebf1f03625d7175.png

I wish I was still drinking (followed by, watch what you wish for).

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

St. Louis is one of those teams Vancouver always seems to struggle with. Even when the Blues were bad, we'd lose against them.

Come out strong guys. Keep the pressure on them. Make Binningnton fold like a cheap umbrella.

Except in the 90's when they were supposed to be very good.   Then we just pushed them around.  Including in the playoffs once.   We actually don't have that much history with them aside from the Bubble (bubble of course less) and 90's that I can re-call.    The Blues were considered a very good team throughout the 90's and until Pronger went to EDM, AL Mac retired.   So over a decade. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Would love to see us crash the net tonight, mainly our bottom-6. We haven't done it too much but would love to see big butts screening him and guys like Lafferty, Suter and Joshua really take it hard to the net to get him off his game. We know the PP will strike but get him upset and the game is over.

18 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Curious how much you have budgeted for the trip and how much is the tour in CDN?

Also I may or may not have misplaced my wallet ... could you spot me for a couple weeks ... I'am definitely good for it. :frantic: 😁

Seriously though I am interested to know how much a trip like that would run a guy.

• Haha 2

St. Louis is one of those teams Vancouver always seems to struggle with. Even when the Blues were bad, we'd lose against them.

Come out strong guys. Keep the pressure on them. Make Binningnton fold like a cheap umbrella.

3-0 in playoffs series against them. 😉

24 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

@Rocket-68 Thanks for making the GDT and congrats on your business deal. Before I became a longshoreman I used to bid construction projects, and I know how much time, effort, and stress goes into closing deals. Cheers 🍻

Where is Jimmy Hoffa?:classic_ninja:

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Holy.  Now a couple times i've thought maybe i'd attempt a GDT, but well it would look like this: Phone Call Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Compared to the average ones.  

This was a great one.   Just like the Great One,  a few tiers above the next best.   That said at least I know how to use that tech.   And well GCG!   And JT Miller thank you for signing with us!    

I have given Jim Benning ALOT of grief but this one he deserves all the credit (re: JT Miller).

• Upvote 2

But I thought +/- was a useless stat, and complex advanced stats tell everything? :parrot:

It's a "team stat".   That's the one that gets me, until you look at who else they spend most of their time with and compare with them...  Even basic stats aside from goals and assists, they matter for sure, it takes a certain lens.  Possession stats lol.   Nobody is doing team possession stats since PIT won back to back cups are they?   Because that all got thrown out the window.    They do players now which is fine. 

Quality of competition for sure matters but is also completely subjective.   Who says "well that guy is worth this and that guy is worth that - as in how good you are ", very arbitrary aside from pure ice time.   Coaches usually play the best guys they have even if they aren't very good, and well coaches with good teams play guys that on other teams would get a lot more ice time....    Most of these stats and the WAR cards too, require a certain lens.   Although they are a lot better than they used to be.   Nobody was saying Alex Steen was the best hockey player in the world when peak Ovi, Crosby, Kane, Toews, Kesler, Sedins etc we're doing their thing - but WAR crowned Steen the best hockey player in the planet one year lol.   Yikes.

For sure a good player.  And no Bob Gainey or Tonelli either so was like WTF?   Maybe if you're a solid hockey guy you can figure it out without a lot of these things added.   And not sure it's added value either.    If it was the be all end all, ARI (Chakya) would have a dynasty already no?  Maybe TO too.  

Plus/Minus is a good quick glance stat.   And just like any informed hockey fan (and can bet GMs get it ... was Linden a bad player because of his plus/minus?  Or was Gretzky not a positive value in 93-94 when his team was crap and won his last Ross? of course he was positive valued - especially given what he added on the PP and the guys behind him on his roster). ... Edler was  minus 39 in his peak prime.   And LA loved the guy his first year with them after us,  Doughty went down he stepped up and was the man almost retired.   A solid hockey player.    Green jacket or otherwise.   Not his fault Tanev got injured and Hutton was the next man up or something lol. 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

It's a "team stat".   That's the one that gets me, until you look at who else they spend most of their time with and compare with them...  Even basic stats aside from goals and assists, they matter for sure, it takes a certain lens.  Possession stats lol.   Nobody is doing team possession stats since PIT won back to back cups are they?   Because that all got thrown out the window.    They do players now which is fine. 

Quality of competition for sure matters but is also completely subjective.   Who says "well that guy is worth this and that guy is worth that - as in how good you are ", very arbitrary aside from pure ice time.   Coaches usually play the best guys they have even if they aren't very good, and well coaches with good teams play guys that on other teams would get a lot more ice time....    Most of these stats and the WAR cards too, require a certain lens.   Although they are a lot better than they used to be.   Nobody was saying Alex Steen was the best hockey player in the world when peak Ovi, Crosby, Kane, Toews, Kesler, Sedins etc we're doing their thing - but WAR crowned Steen the best hockey player in the planet one year lol.   Yikes.

For sure a good player.  And no Bob Gainey or Tonelli either so was like WTF?   Maybe if you're a solid hockey guy you can figure it out without a lot of these things added.   And not sure it's added value either.    If it was the be all end all, ARI (Chakya) would have a dynasty already no?  Maybe TO too.  

Who was that Canuck defenseman that was the cowinner of the league leading plus/minus one year?  Malik?  I remember Sather offering him an inflated contract when he hit free agency.  Now Malik wasn't terrible but really just a third pairing guy imho.