[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs St Louis Blues, Rogers Place, Oct 27, 7PM PST ... Make 'em sing the Blues Game

Rocket-68

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who was that Canuck defenseman that was the cowinner of the league leading plus/minus one year?  Malik?  I remember Sather offering him an inflated contract when he hit free agency.  Now Malik wasn't terrible but really just a third pairing guy imho.

Marak Malik was signed for his shootout skillz 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

This management group is flat out smarter.  That's not to say Benning didn't have his genius moments.  Like Drafting Pettersson and trading for Miller were probably the 2 best things he did.  Everything else was a disaster.  Commiting 11$ million to the 4th line was just not smart.  In every aspect Alvin has embarrassed Benning. He exposed his appalling lack of hockey wits.   From the ground up Alvin has improved every aspect of this organization. Coaching, player development, amature scouting staff, college scouting, the ability to identity talent. Being smart with money. Thinking long and hard and processing decisions through a think tank.   These are alien concepts to Benning who ran things like a one man king. 

What are you basing player development on? As far as I am aware we still haven't graduated much of anybody from the system to the NHL outside of first rounders, even Hoglander and Podkolzin haven't fully realized NHL regular status. Although Hogs looks to be there now. A Benning pick as well FYI. PDG if you want to count him too I guess. Lol. And we have nothing to base amateur scouting on either. Or really the vast majority of the points you made. A lot of it is too soon to tell. Although the players PA has brought in for the NHL squad so far are vast improvements on Benning. But that's cause most of them don't have much term. So even if they're duds we aren't in a hole like we were with Myers, Eriksson, and the OEL trade. Mikheyev looks like a gem and so does Kuzmenko. Can't hate Soucy, Cole, Suter, Blueger and Lafferty. All quality dudes.

I am not fond of a lot of Bennings moves in hindsight, but lets pump the brakes on wanking PA. Particularly when it comes to drafting and developing. Until we at least draft and develop people under this group. Most of his picks are still in their teens. So the idea we vastly improved before even seeing these dudes doesn't really make a lot of sense.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Marak Malik was signed for his shootout skillz 

I remember that well.

In fact he had pulled it off in practice when he played for the Canucks. 

When he was called for that shoot-out I turned to my wife and predicted what he would do. What a moment, but no surprise to me.. I felt like a smarty pants.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I honestly think JT signing...under JR's management...was a huge overlooked turning point for our retool to work at all.  Benning might well have been scared of the public, and with a dismal record of evaluating pro talent,  had re-signed Bo at 8x8 (hometown discount!)  And then let Miller go because he couldn't pay him.

But it was more than that JT was a much superior player, in a lot of different ways, leadership, hockey sense, toughness. It was that he IMO inspired other players like Hughes, Petey, Boeser, to re-commit to the team as a bonified place to stay and win.  Not meaning to crap on Bo, but he just wasn't the right kind of leader. His heart was in the right place, I just think he took it as some kind of political appointment, rather than an inspirational one. The collective yawn by the other players on the trading away of their captain said it all.

With Bo gone, JT was able to step up more. Just what this club needed.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

great post

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Curious how much you have budgeted for the trip and how much is the tour in CDN?

Also I may or may not have misplaced my wallet ... could you spot me for a couple weeks ... I'am definitely good for it. :frantic: 😁

Seriously though I am interested to know how much a trip like that would run a guy.

Will definitely get back to you my good sir. There is an absolute is an absolute scotch aficionado on the other side serving as a tour guide. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I honestly think JT signing...under JR's management...was a huge overlooked turning point for our retool to work at all.  Benning might well have been scared of the public, and with a dismal record of evaluating pro talent,  had re-signed Bo at 8x8 (hometown discount!)  And then let Miller go because he couldn't pay him.

But it was more than that JT was a much superior player, in a lot of different ways, leadership, hockey sense, toughness. It was that he IMO inspired other players like Hughes, Petey, Boeser, to re-commit to the team as a bonified place to stay and win.  Not meaning to crap on Bo, but he just wasn't the right kind of leader. His heart was in the right place, I just think he took it as some kind of political appointment, rather than an inspirational one. The collective yawn by the other players on the trading away of their captain said it all.

With Bo gone, JT was able to step up more. Just what this club needed.

Great post and points! We're fortunate to have management that aren't afraid to make difficult, unpopular decisions. JR said that's exactly what they were going to do and they did it. These guys have winning pedigrees and they know what needs to be done.

Bo also got exposed during the Covid debacle when JT stepped up in public for the team. Trading Bo was also a shift in culture. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2