[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs St Louis Blues, Rogers Place, Oct 27, 7PM PST ... Make 'em sing the Blues Game

Rocket-68

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

This management group is flat out smarter.  That's not to say Benning didn't have his genius moments.  Like Drafting Pettersson and trading for Miller were probably the 2 best things he did.  Everything else was a disaster.  Commiting 11$ million to the 4th line was just not smart.  In every aspect Alvin has embarrassed Benning. He exposed his appalling lack of hockey wits.   From the ground up Alvin has improved every aspect of this organization. Coaching, player development, amature scouting staff, college scouting, the ability to identity talent. Being smart with money. Thinking long and hard and processing decisions through a think tank.   These are alien concepts to Benning who ran things like a one man king. 

I'm happy that Benning has given us an elite core despite never sniffing a 1st overall pick. 

We have a 1A goalie, 1A center, 1B center, and a 1A dman. 

I'm annoyed that we've been stuck in the mud for the last four years and banging our heads against the wall by trying to run when we should crawl, but what's done is done. 

Alvin and the team are great so far, we finally have a professional organization and I couldn't be happier. 

Onwards and upwards. 

20 minutes ago, footsteps said:

I'm old. I have habits. Don't judge me, bro.

Lets do this.png

Top 3 meme format of all time, love the success kid. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Power-Forward said:

Thats exciting.  You should go a little early and watch them warm up as well.  They look a lot more skilled in real life.  

And so much bigger and faster. Hockey is an incredible sport to watch up close in person.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

Fewest PPs in the league, but it's flying along at a 35.5% success rate

The Blues PK is sitting at 75%, in the bottom 40% of teams

Hopefully we can get some opportunities and that deadly PP can pop a few in

STL is not the team it used to be, and while they've been somewhat strong defensively this season, they have had little scoring success (14 GF, 15 GA)

GCG!

Refreshing that Miller isn't screaming at his coach "We don't know what we're supposed to be doing!"

6-3 for the Good Guys.

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

I'm happy that Benning has given us an elite core despite never sniffing a 1st overall pick. 

I'm annoyed that we've been stuck in the mud for the last four years and banging our heads against the wall by trying to run when we should crawl, but what's done is done. 

Alvin and the team are great so far, we finally have a professional organization and I couldn't be happier. 

Onwards and upwards. 

Not saying Benning didn't have his moments but they were few and far between.  The last 3 moves Alvin has made have been acquiring Lafferty, DeSmith and Freidman (a few games in) for Rathbone Pearson and a couple 5th rounders.  Where would the Canucks be without those 3 trades?  They seemed so unimportant at the time but looking back now where would the Canucks be without those 3 moves right before the season started?  Friedman has been eating Myer's minutes which has been crucial.  And DeSmith has won us games by himself.  Lafferty got the game winner in Edmonton, a huge game for this teams confidence.  And those are just his last 3 moves.  I'm not even talking about Kuzmenko, or Bains our prospect depth and drafting.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Not saying Benning didn't have his moments but they were few and far between.  The last 3 moves Alvin has made have been acquiring Lafferty, DeSmith and Freidman for Rathbone Pearson and a couple 5th rounders.  Where would the Canucks be without those 3 trades?  They seemed so unimportant at the time but looking back now where would the Canucks be without those 3 moves right before the season started?  Friedman has been eating Myer's minutes which has been crucial.  And DeSmith has won us games by himself.  Lafferty got the game winner in Edmonton, a huge game for this teams confidence.  And those are just his last 3 moves.  I'm not even talking about Kuzmenko, or Bains our prospect depth and drafting.  

It's sad that we have to depend so much on Friedman and Myers. Those two should be occupying the 6th and 7th spot, not being on a 2nf pairing.  

I'm almost coming around to the fact that we may need to trade some valuable pieces to get another RHD. 

How would you feel about Garland and a 1st for a quality RHD that's under 26? 

Just now, AatuD2 said:

It's sad that we have to depend so much on Friedman and Myers. Those two should be occupying the 6th and 7th spot, not being on a 2nf pairing.  

I'm almost coming around to the fact that we may need to trade some valuable pieces to get another RHD. 

I wouldn't panic at this stage. 

That's what got us in shit to begin with. 

No more giving up 1st's. We need them for the future. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Myers is playing so poorly a 9th D from another team slid into our top 4 seamlessly.  That's how atrocious we are on the right side. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Honestly we need to just let this season ride, and see where we are at at the TDL. We may not need to move a 1st just yet. Salary comes off the books end of year. We are still 2-3 years out IMHO, so of we improve just a bit each year, in 2 year you go all in a trade a 1st.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

And....while we have been going through challenging times with these core players they are becoming more mature at least the younger guys..we are seeing the progress before our eyes.....have a good feeling this year and going forward.

41 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Onwards and upwards. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Honestly we need to just let this season ride, and see where we are at at the TDL. We may not need to move a 1st just yet. Salary comes off the books end of year. We are still 2-3 years out IMHO, so of we improve just a bit each year, in 2 year you go all in a trade a 1st.

Losing Beau and Myers saves over $10 million in cap space. So as long as the team doesn't go nuts looking for an expensive UFA, next year will be better.

With NYR tomorrow night, we really need a win tonight. I wouldnt be surprised if we lose to the Rangers saturday, so getting two points tonight is a must.

St.Louis is for sure a team we can beat, so lets hope for a solid 60 min game tonight!

Beauvillier needs to get going, zero points in six games is pretty bad. So I'll take the hit and predict Beau gets his first tonight.

Im also feeling a big night for Quinn. Multi point game, Im calling it.

Excited for this one. 5 -2 record, lets see it, boys!

Go Canucks Go!!!

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Losing Beau and Myers saves over $10 million in cap space. So as long as the team doesn't go nuts looking for an expensive UFA, next year will be better.

I totally agree Ghost. Just need to be a little patient, which is something current management has shown they can be. Use this year as a measuring stick for where this team is, and where it can be next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I totally agree Ghost. Just need to be a little patient, which is something current management has shown they can be. Use this year as a measuring stick for where this team is, and where it can be next year.

It would really help if we get new and better players internally, instead of looking to make trades, and give up draft picks to build up the team.

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

This management group is flat out smarter.  That's not to say Benning didn't have his genius moments.  Like Drafting Pettersson and trading for Miller were probably the 2 best things he did.  Everything else was a disaster.  Commiting 11$ million to the 4th line was just not smart.  In every aspect Alvin has embarrassed Benning. He exposed his appalling lack of hockey wits.   From the ground up Alvin has improved every aspect of this organization. Coaching, player development, amature scouting staff, college scouting, the ability to identity talent. Being smart with money. Thinking long and hard and processing decisions through a think tank.   These are alien concepts to Benning who ran things like a one man king. 

Did it occur to you that maybe its an alien concept to you that a lot of Bennings signings post Sedin era was about experience? Not spending 11mil on a 4th line to have the best 4th line in the league, but to bring invaluable experience to the locker room? Seeing how the lack of experience surrounding the youth is no way to build up a team. Supporting our youth at the NHL level with cup winning experience, helps develop players at the NHL level. Much like when Gillis paid 5.6mil for a 37 year old Mats Sundin. It was about bringing in seasoned vets, guys who have been through all sorts of situations, for the youth to soak up as much knowledge and to also learn how they handle situations. Its short sighted to think Benning was trying to slap a cup contender together year in and year out. It wasnt all about just trying to win each year, it was about building mentally strong players who dont fold in the big moments, they rise to the occasion. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1