[Report] Chris Faber Joins Canucks as First Senior Hockey Writer

Honkin Hronek

He puts in a lot of work and pushes out a lot of content. 

It's interesting. I have been hoping the Canucks build out their media team. If Chris is allowed full-access combined with his obsessions should only mean more goodies for us nerds on here. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

I wonder how long it will be until he is pimping out Arby's burger that he loves so much on CC 🤣

I literally just started listening to these guys and tuning into their pod on YouTube recently due to following Donnie/Dhali, Rough and Brough, S&P and Rinkwide, but I have enjoyed the back and forth with Faber and Quads. Curious to see who they pick up to co-host now. 

Good for him, I guess. But the minute someone is paid by this organization to write about this organization is basically the minute I stop caring about what they have to say. That's not really fair of me, but there is so much Canucks content out there, and so some of it has to be filtered out somehow. The Canucks already did this with Craig MacEwen. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AatuD2 said:

He's put in his time... But he's nowhere close to being one of my favourites. 

Has a tendency to put blinders on and go with a narrative despite the numbers pointing otherwise. 

I tend to disagree.  He provides all the stats, in depth at that... So we as fans have an opportunity to look at the bigger picture of what's happening.  It's just Faber chooses to focus on or report on the more positive elements with the team.  I've really appreciated his take in these last two three years.  While almost all the other analytics loving writers, Drance etc just went harder into the negative.  

It's funny because, I've noticed, so far, that, sekaris and price, spittin chicklets and drance are changing their tune and also choosing to focus more on the positive changes rather than the weaknesses the team still has.  I see this as a way for them to look less like the jackasses they are, saving face, therefore not having to admit their wrong takes and eat crow.  

There is nothing wrong with pointing out the deficiencies of this team.  But to continue, article after article or podcast after podcast, just focusing on the teams lacks, rather than showing all the sides (Faber).  It's just irresponsible reporting and catering to the vocal (negative Nancy, cynical) minority in this market.  

I for one am happy Fabers in board.  He works hard to bring us all the angles and allows us to make up or own damn minds.

Go canucks go!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The way I see it.  Canuck fans as a whole, are very savy and know their team well.  We know when we suck!!!  We've known that we've sucked for years.  I don't care to hear some blowhard with fancy numbers yelling at the top of their lungs that they know all and "this is why the team sucks".  They're just picking low hanging fruit.  Lazy reporting... 

Misery likes company...

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but there is enough horribly depressing horrific events taking place in the world right now. The last thing I wanna do when I need escape, is listen to a bunch of negative know it all's force feeding me with their crap opinions about the team that I love.

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

"respected hockey journalist" = fan from CDC who wrote for a blog.

Seth Meyers Comedy GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

He's put in his time... But he's nowhere close to being one of my favourites. 

Has a tendency to put blinders on and go with a narrative despite the numbers pointing otherwise. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but personally I think this is entirely wrong. Big fan of Canucks Conversation for the exact opposite reason. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I always thought VC was Faber.  Now I know it's true...

This had actually crossed my mind before as well about Faber. Could also explain why VC isn't active on the unofficial forum if Chris knew about this opportunity for awhile.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, ManbeastMARK said:

He seems pretty well respected within the Canucks media sphere to me. 

social media sphere. there needs to be a firm line in the sand drawn between Postmedia/sportsnet/tsn/etc and CanucksArmy/daily hive/twitter conjecture/CanucksWay/all that other stuff that is just hockey fans screaming their know-nothing opinions meaninglessly into the void. 

Edited by tas

50 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Everyone needs to start out somewhere.

Don't see how that takes anything away from him. No need to be bitter over someone else's success.

I don't like shortcuts. journalists should go to journalism school and work a beat to learn a trade. would you hire a plumber who learned everything he knows by watching youtube videos?

Chris has done a great job with Canucks Army. His prospect reports are by far the best thing out there on the prospects. He actually goes to the effort of watching a lot of games and analyzing video closely. I am guessing that the Canucks have been using his "Blackfish reports" to supplement their own developmental scouting for a while now.

He deserves this opportunity.

While he is enthusiastic and generally positive, I have always found his commentary to very honest and objective. I wonder if he will encounter problems if his opinions do not match the "party line". It would be unfortunate if he is forced (or induced) to just be a team booster like the PR staff.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, tas said:

I don't like shortcuts. journalists should go to journalism school and work a beat to learn a trade. would you hire a plumber who learned everything he knows by watching youtube videos?

If he's been at it long enough and has the aptitude.  Learns from his mistakes and a great listener and plumbing happens to be his passion, then yes... I don't mind hiring a plumber that's not bondable.  Some folks either can't afford school or just don't learn that way... Doesn't necessary mean they are any less effective at their job.  As a matter of fact, I've had a non bondable plumber, work on my home, and fixed work poorly done by a bondable ticketed plumber (whom had poor people skills, used outdated plumbing components... That ultimately failed... And didn't want... Said he "didn't have the time" to come by a fix his mistake).  Schooling doesn't necessary guarantee competence.  Faber's showing that there are other avenues to achieve your goal beyond the traditional path. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

If he's been at it long enough and has the aptitude.  Learns from his mistakes and a great listener and plumbing happens to be his passion, then yes... I don't mind hiring a plumber that's not bondable.  Some folks either can't afford school or just don't learn that way... Doesn't necessary mean they are any less effective at their job.  As a matter of fact, I've had a non bondable plumber, work on my home, and fixed work poorly done by a bondable ticketed plumber (whom had poor people skills, used outdated plumbing components... That ultimately failed... And didn't want... Said he "didn't have the time" to come by a fix his mistake).  Schooling doesn't necessary guarantee competence.  Faber's showing that there are other avenues to achieve your goal beyond the traditional path. 

to each their own I suppose. I'll stick with the pros. 

edit: my issue with diy journalists is that none of them learn the integrity and ethics they should be beholden to. learning how to write an article is something you should learn in grade 10 English class, it's easy as hell. learning how to be a decent journalist is far more involved.

Edited by tas
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, tas said:

Does every successful entrepreneur go to business school?

Faber has a passion for the Canucks, followed the team closely and taught himself how to write about the team with his insights relentlessly on a consistent basis. He's hustled his way up...I don't see an issue with that? As for the Canucks likely hiring him to be his mouthpiece? Yeah, I'd say that's the case, but that's a separate conversation.

At the end of the day, Faber's gotta look out for himself, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks are writing him a fat cheque to be the team's Senior Writer. 

• Cheers 3