[Report] Chris Faber Joins Canucks as First Senior Hockey Writer

Honkin Hronek

9 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

This is such a weird take. Faber is constantly talked about as one of the hardest working guys around. The idea that people who work incredibly hard and grind at everything they do shouldn't be rewarded and instead those who intended a higher education is such an outdated take. But to each their own.

and yet I can tell by reading his stuff that, not only is he not using an ap or cp style guide, he's probably never even heard of them. 

how often does he get to directly interview players or team personnel? a sign that a "journalist" isn't worth reading is when none of their "articles" contain direct, original quotes from their subjects. 

here's the thing: editorializing -- where a writer gives their opinion or analysis on a subject -- has historically been a privilege earned by only the most seasoned, respected journalists. senior editors. there was a time when the only journalist at the province who could write an article that was an opinion piece was tony gallagher.

the job of a journalist is to relay the facts, the what, where, why, when and how. a journalist's job isn't to create a narrative or voice an opinion or analyze data or to contextualize a story. that's the job of the reader. 

none of these guys had to learn he subtleties of their craft by devoting themselves entirely to accuracy, honestly, clarity, and concision. they just skipped the line and decided, hey, I'm not going to put in all this hard work of going to school to learn all of the ethical considerations to my chosen career, and I'm not going to go work on a beat churning out bland copy to hone my skills working for peanuts.

they decided that all they needed to become a senior editor whose opinion should be considered valuable was the ability to write down their baseless thoughts and register a domain name. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

and yet I can tell by reading his stuff that, not only is he not using an ap or cp style guide, he's probably never even heard of them. 

how often does he get to directly interview players or team personnel? a sign that a "journalist" isn't worth reading is when none of their "articles" contain direct, original quotes from their subjects. 

here's the thing: editorializing -- where a writer gives their opinion or analysis on a subject -- has historically been a privilege earned by only the most seasoned, respected journalists. senior editors. there was a time when the only journalist at the province who could write an article that was an opinion piece was tony gallagher.

the job of a journalist is to relay the facts, the what, where, why, when and how. a journalist's job isn't to create a narrative or voice an opinion or analyze data or to contextualize a story. that's the job of the reader. 

none of these guys had to learn he subtleties of their craft by devoting themselves entirely to accuracy, honestly, clarity, and concision. they just skipped the line and decided, hey, I'm not going to put in all this hard work of going to school to learn all of the ethical considerations to my chosen career, and I'm not going to go work on a beat churning out bland copy to hone my skills working for peanuts.

they decided that all they needed to become a senior editor whose opinion should be considered valuable was the ability to write down their baseless thoughts and register a domain name. 

I’m sure he has access to players.  He had media credentials, and was always at Canucks/Abby media/games.

I say congrats Faber!  Good luck on this new opportunity.  I’m sure you will have even more exclusive opportunities for interviews and articles.

Edited by Viper007

15 minutes ago, tas said:

At the end of the day, it's all about the content and views. Chris provides great content for the reader. None of this superficial stuff matters if he's got great content that generates clicks.

Your pretentious idea of what journalism is, is just that. Your idea of what it is. Are you a journalist? If you are,, how jealous of Chris' success in journalism are you?

Edited by ManbeastMARK
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Man, we are all entitled to our own opinions, but this rant was one of the most pretentious loads of bull I have read in quite awhile. It reads like such a bitter old man take that young people who work hard can succeed and bitching that old boys club manaility of getting things due to reputation is over.

He interviewed Wolanin litterally this week.. did you even bother to do a little research before ranting about ap writing styles? The irony that your ranting about quality of journalism while in the same breathe as bitching that someone doesn't do interviews, when they posted an interview within the last 5 days is really funny to me.

Again, opinions. But yeesh...

I didn't say he doesn't do interviews, I asked how often he gets to. 

and I'm not sure where you're inferring that I think anything should be earned by reputation. 

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I didn't say he doesn't do interviews, I asked how often he gets to. 

and I'm not sure where you're inferring that I think anything should be earned by reputation. 

And the answer was he interviewed a player within the last week. If you expand that to last week he interviewed 2 more Canuck players, and a prospect. So the answer is pretty frequently for someone who up until this new job wasn't directly linked to the Canucks personal through Sportsnet or the organization directly.

I'm inferring it from the way your entire post read. If that wasn't the point you were trying to get across, maybe it's time to work on your writing style so you can better explain what your trying to say through writing. I've heard AP is all the rage with the kids.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

At the end of the day, it's all about the content and views. Chris provides great content for the reader. None of this superficial stuff matters if he's got great content that generates clicks.

Your pretentious idea of what journalism is, is just that. Your idea of what it is. Are you a journalist? If you are,, how jealous of Chris' success in journalism are you?

there was a time in adolescence when being a sports writer was a goal of mine. then I saw the writing on the wall, the industry collapsed when legitimate journalists had to start competing for ad revenue with people who weren't upheld to the same journalistic standards. I decided that it was no longer for me. 

call it jealousy if you want, but none of what he and the other bloggists do represents anything that I want or ever wanted to be. 

edit: and writing for clicks and ad revenue instead of writing to inform us what killed journalism. it's basically my entire point. you're right, clicks are all that matters, and that's why you can't trust anything you read anymore. there's always an agenda that extends beyond informing the public of the facts. 

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

And the answer was he interviewed a player within the last week. If you expand that to last week he interviewed 2 more Canuck players, and a prospect. So the answer is pretty frequently for someone who up until this new job wasn't directly linked to the Canucks personal through Sportsnet or the organization directly.

I'm inferring it from the way your entire post read. If that wasn't the point you were trying to get across, maybe it's time to work on your writing style so you can better explain what your trying to say through writing. I've heard AP is all the rage with the kids.

seems like a comprehension issue to me. i won't be catering my writing to you. 

Edited by tas

37 minutes ago, tas said:

Do the AP or CP style guides say anything about capitalizing the first letter of a sentence?

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ManbeastMARK said:

It's 2023. You don't need to be hired by a large corporation to be considered a true journalist. Some of the best journalists out there are independent. Chris Faber in my opinion produces better journalistic content than Iain McIntyre does. By your logic, musicians aren't true muscians unless they are signed by a main stream label. Which is a bad take.

I mean Faber's articles are pretty hard to read. They really do look like well formatted forum posts. 

Iain's columns are much better reads IMO. 

Faber has the clips attached that do most of the heavy lifting on his reporting. 

22 minutes ago, tas said:

seems like a comprehension issue to me. i won't be catering my writing to you. 

Good, I prefer read sophisticates journalists like Viper007 and Alflives. People who bitch about others success online are really only fun to mess with for their ignorance anyways.

The irony that some dude wasting his time on a fan forum is upset that someone through sheer force of will and hard work was named to a position because he isn't what you think is a qualified journalist tickles me in a way I can't expect you intended.

6 minutes ago, tas said:

am I writing for a publication?

No, but you are posting on a public forum for others to read, and not capitalizing the first letter of each sentence looks lazy and makes your posts more difficult to parse. In the context of criticizing someone else's writing, it seems pertinent.

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Good, I prefer read sophisticates journalists like Viper007 and Alflives. People who bitch about others success online are really only fun to mess with for their ignorance anyways.

The irony that some dude wasting his time on a fan forum is upset that someone through sheer force of will and hard work was named to a position because he isn't what you think is a qualified journalist tickles me in a way I can't expect you intended.

clearly a comprehension issue since I've stated clearly I have no issue with faber getting hired by the canucks. literally my only issue is referring to him as a journalist. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

clearly a comprehension issue since I've stated clearly I have no issue with faber getting hired by the canucks. literally my only issue is referring to him as a journalist. 

Cool, message the Canucks billion dollar organization who thinks he is. I'm sure they totally care what you think, tas.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

Just now, Strawbone said:

No, but you are posting on a public forum for others to read, and not capitalizing the first letter of each sentence looks lazy and makes your posts more difficult to parse. In the context of criticizing someone else's writing, it seems pertinent.

journalists are intended to be held to a higher standard. they are professionals. 

I made a stylistic choice ~20 years ago on a different forum to eschew capitals and it's a decision I'm comfortable with. forums are the equivalent of texting with friends, not writing an essay.

if you struggle to read my posts because of it, I'm comfortable with that too. I'm not trying to be everything for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Cool, message the Canucks billion dollar organization who thinks he is. I'm sure they totally care what you think, tas.

what's your point? it's kind of implied they don't care since they just hired him and called hima. journalist.

guess what though? their decision has no effect on the validity of my thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

what's your point? it's kind of implied they don't care since they just hired him and called hima. journalist.

guess what though? their decision has no effect on the validity of my thoughts. 

Mmmhm, the billion dollar organization doesn't agree with you and multiple people spoke up to say your opinion was bad on a fan forum. But definitely, dig your heels in, in sure you think you're making a fantastic point 😃

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Mmmhm, the billion dollar organization doesn't agree with you and multiple people spoke up to say your opinion was bad on a fan forum. But definitely, dig your heels in, in sure you think you're making a fantastic point 😃

weirdly my long-held, deeply-informed beliefs didn't flip due to uninspired opinions from online hockey fans that seemed to miss the point. 

I'm happy he is getting paid, but will downgrade my opinion of his writings.

I will now have to ask:

Is he writing this because his boss told him to?

What does he know, that his boss won't let him write about?

If the team had said "We have hired another person in our advertising department, to go along with Miss Peterson" it would be way more accurate than calling him Senior Hockey writer.