[Report] Chris Faber Joins Canucks as First Senior Hockey Writer

Honkin Hronek

4 hours ago, tas said:

to each their own I suppose. I'll stick with the pros. 

edit: my issue with diy journalists is that none of them learn the integrity and ethics they should be beholden to. learning how to write an article is something you should learn in grade 10 English class, it's easy as hell. learning how to be a decent journalist is far more involved.

Given the majority of media today I’d argue few that have gone through school have learned that lesson either. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

no worries, I'm comfortable with my opinions not being popular. 

and I have no issues with faber writing for the canucks. I also had no issue with faber writing for canucks army or whatever else. I just have issues with calling him a journalist, which he isn't. he was a critic and now he's a mouthpiece. 

I mean… he’s going to have access to the players now so wouldn’t that mean he is a journalist as he’ll be able to get the direct quotes you’ve said are so important….? 

1 hour ago, tas said:

and yet I can tell by reading his stuff that, not only is he not using an ap or cp style guide, he's probably never even heard of them. 

how often does he get to directly interview players or team personnel? a sign that a "journalist" isn't worth reading is when none of their "articles" contain direct, original quotes from their subjects. 

here's the thing: editorializing -- where a writer gives their opinion or analysis on a subject -- has historically been a privilege earned by only the most seasoned, respected journalists. senior editors. there was a time when the only journalist at the province who could write an article that was an opinion piece was tony gallagher.

the job of a journalist is to relay the facts, the what, where, why, when and how. a journalist's job isn't to create a narrative or voice an opinion or analyze data or to contextualize a story. that's the job of the reader. 

none of these guys had to learn he subtleties of their craft by devoting themselves entirely to accuracy, honestly, clarity, and concision. they just skipped the line and decided, hey, I'm not going to put in all this hard work of going to school to learn all of the ethical considerations to my chosen career, and I'm not going to go work on a beat churning out bland copy to hone my skills working for peanuts.

they decided that all they needed to become a senior editor whose opinion should be considered valuable was the ability to write down their baseless thoughts and register a domain name. 

While I appreciate training that is appropriate to a job as much as anyone… and would say it should be the normal route people take in a profession… if you can’t figure out that there are those who are qualified as a result of their own innate talents and hard work then you’re probably either a dinosaur, someone who can’t handle other peoples success, or - gasp - an instructor of some sort 😂

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

Given the majority of media today I’d argue few that have gone through school have learned that lesson either. 

I mean… he’s going to have access to the players now so wouldn’t that mean he is a journalist as he’ll be able to get the direct quotes you’ve said are so important….? 

While I appreciate training that is appropriate to a job as much as anyone… and would say it should be the normal route people take in a profession… if you can’t figure out that there are those who are qualified as a result of their own innate talents and hard work then you’re probably either a dinosaur, someone who can’t handle other peoples success, or - gasp - an instructor of some sort 😂

3 strikes and you're out. 

55 minutes ago, tas said:

there was a time in adolescence when being a sports writer was a goal of mine. then I saw the writing on the wall, the industry collapsed when legitimate journalists had to start competing for ad revenue with people who weren't upheld to the same journalistic standards. I decided that it was no longer for me. 

call it jealousy if you want, but none of what he and the other bloggists do represents anything that I want or ever wanted to be. 

edit: and writing for clicks and ad revenue instead of writing to inform us what killed journalism. it's basically my entire point. you're right, clicks are all that matters, and that's why you can't trust anything you read anymore. there's always an agenda that extends beyond informing the public of the facts. 

seems like a comprehension issue to me. i won't be catering my writing to you. 

It's not just about writing for ad revenue. His writings have better content in my opinion. I gain more from the information he presents and the way he presents it. Just because you have an opinion on something doesn't make it reality. Faber is a journalist. You can't change that.

7 minutes ago, ManbeastMARK said:

It's not just about writing for ad revenue. His writings have better content in my opinion. I gain more from the information he presents and the way he presents it. Just because you have an opinion on something doesn't make it reality. Faber is a journalist. You can't change that.

he's a blogger. 

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

malcom tucker GIF

Actually, he's the Senior Hockey Writer for the Vancouver Canucks.

I'm younger than 40 fwiw.

I'm sure he'll be churning out some hard-hitting journalistic pieces in his new role. maybe he'll win a pulitzer!

1 hour ago, tas said:

journalists are intended to be held to a higher standard. they are professionals. 

I made a stylistic choice ~20 years ago on a different forum to eschew capitals and it's a decision I'm comfortable with. forums are the equivalent of texting with friends, not writing an essay.

if you struggle to read my posts because of it, I'm comfortable with that too. I'm not trying to be everything for everyone. 

Those upper-case I's are really throwing me for a loop now :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Those upper-case I's are really throwing me for a loop now :classic_laugh:

blame autocorrect. 100% of my posting is from my phone. 

believe it or not, sometimes I'll actually go back and change something that was auto-capitalized back to lowercase out of spite. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Based on what exactly? I don't use Twitter, but when I have checked it his entire posted feed is almost exclusively Canucks clips or reports on what's happening. Went back a couple weeks and it doesn't look like he posts any personal opinions on his feed. 

Maybe he changed but the Faber of old was all over podkolzins nuts. 

• Cheers 1