[PGT] Canucks vs Blues Oct 27 - Binnington dying inside edition

Jess

31 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

PDG is pretty much doing Tanner Pearson's job, at a quarter of the cost

pdg has been great. like finding a $20 in an old jacket.  Think we’d probably be a little better with tanner there - boeser miller pearson was a great line, but pdg is hungrier and brings that intangible to the line. Always a treat and great story line when an ahl journeyman blooms late and fills a meaningful role. Really happy for him.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Fair,

but we are sending them garland ?

what’s a realistic trade in your perspective 

I’d send them beau and a third, maybe add one depth prospect. Tanev would move the needle for us i think this season and would look good next to cole.  Calgary would have to be well out of the playoffs to consider it though, and I’d think they could get a second for him at the deadline. Maybe it’d be worth it, but if we go on a miracle run it will be because of Demko Petey and Hughes. Better to keep our powder dry for future years I think and let the chips fall where they fall. Add some cheap size to the bottom of the roster perhaps. 

Bring in Tanev and Zad next year and we have a pretty nice looking Dcore.

Mikheyev finally brings what the top line has been missing, not just forecheck but a bit of speed, size and hockey IQ which Garland and Beauvillier lacked (and go figure they're all being paid about the same). Petey gets another 2 quiet points there with some very nifty plays and passes.

Miller's line is arguably our most balanced, PDG again finds himself behind the defence and not many AHL grinders have hands like him, you could see Binnington wasn't happy letting that one in. Massive SHG from Miller too on another beautiful deke.

Bottom-6 were solid, Lafferty deserved a goal or maybe even two so good to have that constant threat and they didn't give much up defensively, barely got caught in their own zone.

On D, we were lights-out. Hughes and Hronek barely played in the defensive zone, control the puck so well offensively. Quinn shooting the puck more is so under-rated, those two goals were out of nothing - a back hander to a dangerous area and a shot from the far left point essentially. Soucy and Myers looked a bit more solid finally, great pass from Myers who had a heck of a game but that happens when he's not playing against a 60+ point forward to be fair. Cole paired with essentially an AHLer looked unreal as well as arguably our 2nd pairing. 

Of course Demko didn't have much to do for 40 minutes of the game but made maybe two great A-grade saves to earn the shutout.

On the whole, we absolutely dominated the Blues as expected. 0/4 on the PP is the only blemish but I wouldn't worry much about that. Looked like we were out-shooting them 20 to 2 in the first period and not many teams come back from that. Binnington was solid at the start but we finally broke him, good to see we continued the pressure because just up 1-0, any team can bounce back from that but we just kept pressing.

Easy game, good to rest our top guns because NYR is going to be arguably the first real test of the season. Top goalie, top defence, a very good top-6 of forwards and they've been almost perfect on the road, and have had a day to rest after embarrassing Edmonton. DeSmith is going to get peppered. We have to treat it like a road game - tight defence, hope our PP gets chances and breaks the game open and our backup goalie is going to be tested early.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

St Louis looked tired, they did play last night after all.

It was their 3rd game in 4 nights, with lots of travel. 

Given the circumstances, I felt pretty confident about the Canucks winning. But that wasn’t just winning…that was pure domination. The old team would often struggle on their first game back after a road trip, and use a tired opponent as an excuse to take it easy. Not this team. They were flying. Even at 5-0 guys were forechecking hard and just all over the Blues. It was beautiful. 

• Cheers 1

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......

'' YOU LOOK NERVOUS ''

That was so good.

What a dominant performance from the boys against a team on it second game in a back to back....

They came through with flying colours.... Hope Beau finds his mojo again, at he looks almost lost out there.

I like, what the Tocchet is cooking....

200-6.gif

Edited by spook007
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, filthy animal said:

PDG is pretty much doing Tanner Pearson's job, at a quarter of the cost

How insightful. 

Nobody was talking about Pearson. And if you're paying attention, he's actually doing quite well in Montreal. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

How insightful. 

Nobody was talking about Pearson. And if you're paying attention, he's actually doing quite well in Montreal. 

Im not dissing Pearson at all. Thats good that hes doing well in MTL.

Im just saying what Pearson used to do here, the spade work along the boards, going in front of the net, winning puck battles, thats what PDG is doing. Pearson may not have the flash but he makes the other 2 guys in his line look good. Theres a reason why hes gotten his minutes regardless if its Boudreau or Travis Greene. He does the stuff that coaches want to see. Thats what PDG does

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, filthy animal said:

Im not dissing Pearson at all. Thats good that hes doing well in MTL.

Im just saying what Pearson used to do here, the spade work along the boards, going in front of the net, winning puck battles, thats what PDG is doing. Pearson may not have the flash but he makes the other 2 guys in his line look good. Theres a reason why hes gotten his minutes regardless if its Boudreau or Travis Greene. He does the stuff that coaches want to see. Thats what PDG does

The guy I was responding to was saying something about Tochett saving PDG's career, or something to that affect. 

I said he forced his way onto the team. Nothing to do with Pearson. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, EliPeterson40 said:

I felt like toch really managed the stars Ice time well in the third. Mostly bottom six for what seemed like the last 10 mins atleast

Smart enough to know it only takes one embarrassed player to run a star and team could be icing their knuckles (with a game the next day) rather than enjoying the beer.     Berube lol.   He'd have been the guy to actually start something, as would Tochett, when they were playing. 

Edited by IBatch
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Meet our top 4 leaders of plus/minus in the entire NHL, Quinn Hughes, Filip Hronek, JT Miller and Phil Di Giuseppe…

IMG_0095.png

Early days yet, knew they had it in them though.   5 x 5 this team can be a beast.    Special teams are also clicking .... Bluegar hopefully can give the same boost to the bottom six, that Mikheyev has for EPs line.   At this point, can we really differentiate which  top line we have?    Haven't seen that since Bure played with Mogilny (Bure was a one line machine anyways ...)      It's awfully close, and i'd be giving Millers line the edge so far.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

The guy I was responding to was saying something about Tochett saving PDG's career, or something to that affect. 

I said he forced his way onto the team. Nothing to do with Pearson. 

Actually think it's a bit of both.   That he played his way onto the team, and that Tochett saw something in him.   For sure on paper, didn't need to give him a top six spot.   Garland for example, plays both wings and has a better pedigree.    Tochett deserves a ton of credit for how the teams playing , which he knows and will acknowledge, is two games now playing the way he wants them too.   He was clear about getting away with one (EDM second game, we for sure dodged a bullet), and that we built on things after.   Pretty awesome coach post game so far.  

Like Bruce, wonder what will happen IF and WHEN, we go on a slide.   Even good teams have slides.    Giusseppe has some Martin Gelinas in him.    Pearson also isn't a bad comp.   As far as Pearson goes, his career was headed South fast, and Travis Green who's not many folks favourite guy on this site,  absolutely helped turn his career around.    Pearson has said as much more than once.    Just glad Tochett didn't waste as much time looking for his 13th man as Green did after all that roster change (OEL deal), Chiasson was the correct target.   

Teams playing well.   And Tochett calling us out as not in good enough shape, is paying early dividends.    As is the Hronek trade and some the deals Allvin made last year and this summer.    Almost feels like this core has a chance now.    QHs.   Never been so happy in my life to have been wrong about a draft pick.    What a beauty.    He's becoming our very own Brian Campbell, who also could control the pace of the game in 3 zones, with added offense.    He's on his way to a Norris trophy this year. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is top 5 scoring in the NHL. Even with 5 less points on the power play than Jack Hughes. 

Some are still trying to claim that Jack Hughes is a better player. Nope. Petey is a two way beast, the best two way forward in the entire NHL. JT Miller isn’t too shabby either. Can’t remember the last time someone yelled at Miller for being lazy and making a bad pass. All you haters are all of a sudden so quiet…  

IMG_0097.png

Jack Hughes is nuts. 

first 2 seasons: 117 gp 52 pts, bustaroo bonsai.

2.1 seasons since: 134 gp 173 pts. generational talent. 

• ThereItIs 1

Can I just say I am glad the organization signed Phillip di Giuseppe with that extension. 

If this was the previous Management, they would have given up on Giuseppe and let him walk and signed another similar and older player for 3 times the Cap Hit and twice the term. 

This is how you get value from players and it feels so good to say this as a Canuck fan again. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Also because nobody else will say it...

Refs had a decent game too.

As much as we hate it, sometimes game management is necessary to keep the game under control and that phantom call on Hoglander potentially halted a stupid play from happening from a Blues player and the outcome of the game wasn't altered at all. 

Almost too much love on CFF tonight........ .

🥰

Edited by spook007

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey is top 5 scoring in the NHL. Even with 5 less points on the power play than Jack Hughes. 

Some are still trying to claim that Jack Hughes is a better player. Nope. Petey is a two way beast, the best two way forward in the entire NHL. JT Miller isn’t too shabby either. Can’t remember the last time someone yelled at Miller for being lazy and making a bad pass. All you haters are all of a sudden so quiet…  

IMG_0097.png

And we have Demko, who is top five in goalies. And Hronek who is fabulous. 

• ThereItIs 1