[PGT] Canucks vs Blues Oct 27 - Binnington dying inside edition

Jess

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I get it. I'm not saying people shouldn't enjoy the start. I'm happy we're 5-2 as well. But to start thinking about cup parades and what not. i think that's silly. but hey, just me. 

For all the shit canuck fans have had to endure, a little dreaming is completely understandable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Déjà Vu said:

who are the other two? mike ricci? and???? thats some classic 90's cd cover art if ive ever seen it...

tocchet always a legend and a favorite of mine, well one of em , my other favorite players all came from the flyers ( tim kerr , dave schultz ) but ya i feel rick was the best coach we coulda gotten for him and other players, we want grit and hard nose play starts from the coaching, and on top of that we have adam foote ...what more can u ask for hehe

• Upvote 1

Jack is leading the league in points by a long-shot and probably the best center in the league right now. Quinn is the best natural puck moving defenceman in the world. Luke is a 20 year old kid averaging 20 minutes of ice time and has 6 points in 9 career games. Gifted family. Jack and Quinn both said Luke will be the best of the bunch which is pretty scary. When Quinn and Jack were 20 they both put up 50ish points in not many games.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Excellent summary by @Huggy Bear. Great game for Canuck fans (like me). Probably not much fun for "neutral observers" and certainly not for Blues fans.

2. There has been a fair amount of angst over the Canucks poor to mediocre underlying stats, despite the good start. Tonight's game moved the underlying stats a long way in the right direction.

3. I cannot recall seeing a period where one team was as dominant as the Canucks were in the first. They were only up 1 - 0  but the "all strengths" Corsi was 35 to 4 and the scoring chances were 19-1 (in Natural Stat Trick). Those are biggest one period differentials I can ever recall seeing. I was actually a bit worried that the Canucks might be getting frustrated with only a one-goal lead after such complete domination. Fortunately, the three quick goals early in the second put the game out of reach.

4. Hughes, Hronek, Miller, PDG, and Petey continue to be lights out. And Demmer was very good. Friedman continues to be a positive surprise and Cole/Friedman pair was good. Not sure how long they can keep up this quality of play, but the Friedman pickup looks great.

6. For people who like to worry (like me) it is still a bit of a concern that the bottom 6 is having a hard time getting on the scoresheet. Suter looks like he is squeezing the stick too hard. He had a couple of great opportunities and several decent opportunities where he could not make anything happen. He also looked too slow. The other bottom 6 guys also had chances. Hope the puck starts going in for them soon. Hogs was very good tonight. No way he can come out of the lineup.

7. As others have noted, Myers was quite good tonight -- the best he has been this season. Still not in the same league as Hughes and Hronek, but good. 

It helped to get St. Louis in the second game of back to backs, although the Canucks were so dominant that I don't that that was a big factor. Still, the team will be a bit tired tomorrow and the Rangers are a better team. That game will be a test. 

Very good as usual James.

Especially the bottom 6 part... Garland looked good, even though he didn't score, and they did create a fair amount of grade A chances...

The one player I'm concerned about is Beau... He looks really devoid of confidence. 

On the plus part Hogs looks like he has found his mojo. Cole and Friedman are really good in their positions and Soucy has been rather anonymous, which is a good thing.

Most of the players are playing to or above their pay checks, which is exactly, what we hope for. Especially since we don't have any ELCs at the moment.

It was against a tired Blues team, but as was stated several times prior to the game, first home game after a long road trip, they have had a tendency to not turn up....

This bodes very well for the future... 

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

THAT was enjoyable to watch... the only thing that would have made it better would have been a Quinn hatty.

oh yeah, plus I could have won the 50/50... that would have made it VERY good. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

So used to seeing the team lay an egg on the first home game after a long road stand.

Canucks total domination, particularly in the first period, is something that I haven’t seen in a long time from the Canucks.

The coaching staff has everyone buying in. Everybody pulled on the rope today

Taking my son to the Rangers game tomorrow.

So excited to see what the Canucks can bring.  GCG

Have fun... the envy is real 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

You guys will love this

image.png.ad2d38862cb8794e759be42017e1895e.png

Wow that is the best looking chart I have ever seen on this board.  Only 5 negatives is unheard of, and they are only slight one on the offensive side.  Well done team, well done!

7 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

I wouldn't say that he saved his career. 

PDG jumped on the opportunity and forced his way onto the team. 

Simple as that. 

Ya but prior to Toc's arrival, he never got a fair shot from Green or Bruce... Maybe just a few shifts as a 4th liner. So coaching change helped turn things around.

9 hours ago, BIGGESTCANUCKSFANEVER said:

Love to see it. Looks like we've got the best 5 man unit in the NHL right now with PDG-Miller-Boeser Hughes-Hronek. Even Myers had a great game today, he didn't make one mistake and had a few good defensive plays as well as that beautiful pass to PDG for the breakaway goal. This team is looking great so far this year, only had that one bad game against Philly. 

Also, I keep hearing about Petey playing hurt... does anyone have any actual sources for this? and what is the reported injury?

5 hours ago, DelPiLeo said:

Petey is such a terrific playmaker, he might become even better than Henrik one day. 

He has always been better than Henrik; Elias is our idol.

But he doesn't have an equally-brilliant cosmically-connected twin.

Now that would be something, eh?

EP's last game was defensively incredible as well; e.g. stripping the puck and upping to Miller on the PK.

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

It was their 3rd game in 4 nights, with lots of travel. 

Given the circumstances, I felt pretty confident about the Canucks winning. But that wasn’t just winning…that was pure domination. The old team would often struggle on their first game back after a road trip, and use a tired opponent as an excuse to take it easy. Not this team. They were flying. Even at 5-0 guys were forechecking hard and just all over the Blues. It was beautiful. 

We did get a nice rest after the road trip though.

In the past, but probably upcoming again some day, the other team would be in Vancouver a day or so before we got home!

JR, PA, and RT have this team morphing into a hard-working, fast, talented, tough team and I don't know how much more I could ask for.

This year is already great and will keep being great, and by next year we could be, A Contendah!

• Like 1

I know it’s early, but this team has had a total turnaround from last season.

Lasr year 0-5-2

This year 5-2-0

see what I did there;)

that was lame, haha

Edited by Captkirk888
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dankmemes187 said:

PDG is pretty much doing Tanner Pearson's job, at a quarter of the cost

1 hour ago, Dankmemes187 said:

i was thinking the same thing... 

Yeah, they got really lucky with PDG.  The safe bet is always paying for the bona-fide NHLer. And Pearson has 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 games in Montreal right now. Still a good player.  Just... all the shit that happened made it untenable in Van. C'est la vie.

I suppose my question is... how long til Podkolzin is ready to take the job from PDG. That role is absolutely made for him! 🙂