[PGT] Canucks vs Blues Oct 27 - Binnington dying inside edition

Jess

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......

'' YOU LOOK NERVOUS ''

That was so good.

What a dominant performance from the boys against a team on it second game in a back to back....

They came through with flying colours.... Hope Beau finds his mojo again, at he looks almost lost out there.

I like, what the Tocchet is cooking....

200-6.gif

That chant was so cool; got right under his skin; fn hilarious!

• Haha 1

I'm going to enjoy this. It's been so long since I've watched this team playing and "feeling it" That's the feeling you get where you can't wait to get to the rink and play because you think you can beat anyone. Great start made even better watching the soap operas in Alberta. It's been wayyyy to long to see this flip flop between the provinces. Loving it baby!

• Like 4

Enough has been said about the stars. 

I wanted to highlight some guys that are really starting to round out this team. 

Lafferty. What a fricken steal. I wasn't sure what we were getting in a player when PA traded for him. I was puzzled thinking do we need another grinder in the bottom 6 when tight against the cap? 

Boy was I wrong. Guy brings speed, hands and reliable 2 way play. How did he not stick on the Leafs roster???

Hogz...we know he has the talent in the AHL. He also looked good in stints in his rookie year under TG ...i wanted him to find success early in the season so that he would play with confidence. 

Great to see him play with speed, skill and jumping on loose pucks and winning battles. That penalty by (Krug?) was in frustration to Hogz beating him out and having a small guy like him shield the puck from him. I hope his confidence continues to increase and he starts asserting himself even more. 

The only question mark for me tonight was Beauvelier. 

He made some questionable / risky decisions with the puck and seemed like the only guy not completely on the same page in terms of being on the right side of the puck, making smart predictable plays. Maybe he knows he and Garland are on the trade block and he was trying too hard to make things happen but when canucks were starting to  control the game in the 2nd, I thought he made some selfish plays to try generating offense and turned the puck over leading to a blues scoring chance. It wasn't as egregious as what Miller used to do to create offense but it was uncharacteristic of what the rest of the team was doing. 

Myers... Great game. He needs to continue playing like that. If he plays like that all season and Canucks are one of the top seeds, do you keep him for the playoffs or still flip him at TDL? It would be a tough call for sure. 

I love what RT is doing with this team. Only up 1-0 after completely dominating the Blues in the first could have gone either way. But the Canucks kept coming and once the dam broke, the flood was on. The charge was led by our captain. Probably the best contract in hockey now. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

This team feels different, looks different and plays different.  It's great to see.  

Yip. It's early, but why not feel it? Enjoy it fans. We have one of the best first line centers, second line center, defensemen, and goalie, in the NHL. This is fact. How the rest plays out and meshes is why we love the game and watch. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I thought I heard Shorty say the Canucks had 13 back to backs last season. This year they have 5. 

13 the last 2 years and 9 this year.

in fact the next time we play the Blues here, they play in Calgary the night before...again. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

55 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The only question mark for me tonight was Beauvelier. 

Ya. Beau is frustrating, but this is what he is. He has to play in the top six, with talent to be effective. A team like Chicago should go after him. He may just click with Bedard, is a one year experiment that would have trade deadline value if he finds his game, can be had for virtually nothing. Maybe Canucks negotiate a taker for Beau on waivers. He's streaky, so who knows. He's definitely struggling. 

58 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes, ace....

Clever fans can change the tone (?) of a game.*

These days you can only get in a great game-changing chant or song while the play is on.

The breaks did not used to have crap music blaring out so loud you can't get anything going.

You could really give it to the refs too, lol.

* We got on Chelios so hard ("Chelios Sucks!" every time he came into our corner), he was flying around taking penalties, fought Linden (!), and cost his team the game.

Ah, those were good old days.  Did it again near the end of his career, and he whips around staring up at us!  He was one of the best D in the league and we had him completely rattled.

• Like 1

Great game last night. So many positives. Like others have said how many times have we returned from a long road trip to lay an egg with the effort and energy? or played down to the energy of a team that was tired?

No tonight they came out hard and dominated a team that should have been tired from the night before and the travel. big Plus.

One thing i have noticed is they are coming out in the first period and playing hard right away. with the exception of the Philly game where we dont know whether everyone was sick or the travel was bad, they have played good first periods. Big plus. Jumping on teams right away and not chasing the game.

A big plus for me I have noticed is we seem to be winning more faceoffs than recent years past. Starting with the puck especially on the PP and PK is a great way to have success. I dont have the stats but if we keep that up we will have a lot of success.

There is a lot more patience and confidence on the back end. Cole has been a real steadying influence back there.Hronek has fit in real good with Quinn and look dominant out there. Myers and Soucy havent been great but im not sure of thats on Soucy or just Myers is that bad he brings his partner down. Last night they were decent and that assist on the PDG goal was a nice pass from 57. Quinn has looked like  Norris trophy candidate so far.

Probably the biggest change has been we have some NHL goaltending back. both Demko and De smith have been good for us. If we can balance out Thatchers workload say 50 games instead of 60 he will be fresh for the playoff push. With improved defensive play from the forwards, improved defensive play from the D  and improved goaltending you get 5-2 rather than 0-7. I am enjoying the start and hope this continues because its fun again.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers... Great game. He needs to continue playing like that. If he plays like that all season and Canucks are one of the top seeds, do you keep him for the playoffs or still flip him at TDL? It would be a tough call for sure. 

If moving him frees up enough cap to spend additional assets on another "Hronek" style trade and add a legit, long term, top 4 RHD.... Yup.

(Schneider and Barron are both pending RFA's this summer...)

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

If moving him frees up enough cap to spend additional assets on another "Hronek" style trade and add a legit, long term, top 4 RHD.... Yup.

(Schneider and Barron are both pending RFA's this summer...)

Is there another Hronek level D (25 or under) we might be able to pry loose? 
Hronek is super good. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is there another Hronek level D (25 or under) we might be able to pry loose? 
Hronek is super good. 

Who knows? I didn't think Detroit would move Hronek (still don't understand why in fact lol). Detroit has basically gifted us our top pair in fact 🤣

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

There’s nothing left to say about our Huggy Bear at this point - he’s a top 5 talent in this league.

Frustrating that he still can’t escape his little brother’s shadow, but every superlative you throw at Jack applies to Quinn. Our guy is just that much rarer given his position on the ice.

Also had no idea what our crowd was chanting; finding out they were saying “NERVOUS!” is… as the kids say… everything.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who knows? I didn't think Detroit would move Hronek (still don't understand why in fact lol). Detroit has basically gifted us our top pair in fact 🤣

You're just mortal and cant understand the workings of the Yzerman.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Haha 3
  • Cheers 1