[PGT] Canucks vs Blues Oct 27 - Binnington dying inside edition

Jess

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who knows? I didn't think Detroit would move Hronek (still don't understand why in fact lol). Detroit has basically gifted us our top pair in fact 🤣

With him being hurt when they acquired him, I really didn't expect to see this from Hronek. Do they play the two of them together for the entire season? As it stands now, yes. This is the first time we've had two legit top 2 defensemen on this roster. Even better than any pairing on the Gillis teams, Pat Quinns' teams, and Roger Neilson's team.

Just now, Johngould21 said:

With him being hurt when they acquired him, I really didn't expect to see this from Hronek. Do they play the two of them together for the entire season? As it stands now, yes. This is the first time we've had two legit top 2 defensemen on this roster. Even better than any pairing on the Gillis teams, Pat Quinns' teams, and Roger Neilson's team.

I mean ideally you get another guy to play with Hughes and let Hronek anchor the 2nd pair... Just not sure if we'll be able to find that guy mid season. 

Just now, aGENT said:

I mean ideally you get another guy to play with Hughes and let Hronek anchor the 2nd pair... Just not sure if we'll be able to find that guy mid season. 

I think that's what the Canuck coaching staff would like, but, hey let's run with this while they're on a run. The two of them seem to be so synched up right now.

• Cheers 1

Most dominant game from the Canucks I can remember. It wasn't just Demko stopping pucks, the team D was great. STL couldn't get anything going, Canucks were all over them in an instant, and then stealing the puck to create more plays. Shit, Binnington played well in the first, score should've been 8-0. But after that 2nd one he let in, you could see the confidence leave his body. 

Friedman was a really good pickup. That play to stop the scoring chance, and not taking a penalty. 

D has always been an issue, and now we have Hughes-Hronek - best in the league

Does Blueger replace Hoglander when he gets healthy?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Most dominant game from the Canucks I can remember. It wasn't just Demko stopping pucks, the team D was great. STL couldn't get anything going, Canucks were all over them in an instant, and then stealing the puck to create more plays. Shit, Binnington played well in the first, score should've been 8-0. But after that 2nd one he let in, you could see the confidence leave his body. 

Friedman was a really good pickup. That play to stop the scoring chance, and not taking a penalty. 

D has always been an issue, and now we have Hughes-Hronek - best in the league

Does Blueger replace Hoglander when he gets healthy?

I think Blueger is probably the better player so I would say yes. Once he gets into game shape that is. They could also push Lafferty to to the wing and sit Beauvillier instead.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

If we had a Sami Salo to pair with either of them, mwah, chef's kiss. 

in fact, Hughes, Sami, Jovocop, Hronek would be a dream for 48 minutes a game.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think Blueger is probably the better player so I would say yes. Once he gets into game shape that is. They could also push Lafferty to to the wing and sit Beauvillier instead.

Lafferty has been really good too, nice speed and grit. 

Beauvillier was trying hard all game to get that 1st goal. They should eventually come if he keeps up the effort. 

I thought Garland played a good game, he was feisty and doing his spin-o-ramas along the boards, frustrating opponents. I still think they need to make a trade though, solidify the team to make that run. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Is it ideal? Having a potentially elite top pair, and average bottom pairs can work fine.

They can still play together situationally. But yes, it is ideal being able to have one of those guys out there for ~25 minutes each (~50 total) of a 60 minute game vs having both of them out there for ~25 minutes together of a 60 minute game.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

They can still play together situationally. But yes, it is ideal being able to have one of those guys out there for ~25 minutes each (~50 total) of a 60 minute game vs having both of them out there for ~25 minutes together of a 60 minute game.

dunno. Elite talent is the real separator in the NHL, imo. We've seen single elite top lines e.g., carry teams a long way. I think when you can have something special you go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

Hughes - Willander

Pettersson - Hronek

🤗

This from his draft year understates his o-zone abilities. He has 7 points in 4 games in the J20, 7 points in 8 games in the All Svenskan playing against men and now four games in the SHL so far this year, mind you yet to tally in the top Swedish men's league. he is just 19 still. 

There is something to be said for a reliable shut down Defenseman, and we felt that Pettersson distinguished himself enough in theis regard to warrant consideration in the middle of our board. You don't get 17 games with an SHL club like Orebro HK if you can't keep things honest in your own zone.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

dunno. Elite talent is the real separator in the NHL, imo. We've seen single elite top lines e.g., carry teams a long way. I think when you can have something special you go for it. 

First things first... We need to acquire the missing  guy before we need to worry about splitting them up or not. Right now we don't really have a better option. If say for whatever reason Carolina struggles and Pesce becomes available (unlikely, I know), are you still going to keep Hughes and Hronek together if we added him?

And even then, at least you've got options. Yup might keep them together and run Cole-Pesce... But I'd be REAL tempted to see Hughes-Pesce, Cole-Hronek personally...

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

First things first... We need to acquire the missing  guy before we need to worry about splitting them up or not. Right now we don't really have a better option. If say for whatever reason Carolina struggles and Pesce becomes available (unlikely, I know), are you still going to keep Hughes and Hronek together if we added him?

And even then, at least you've got options. Yup might keep them together and run Cole-Pesce... But I'd be REAL tempted to see Hughes-Pesce, Cole-Hronek personally...

actually I would. H-H is just so dominant that yep I'd make teams face that nightmare every game. 

Cole-Pesce would be an awesome 2nd pair, particularly after teams had to game plan H-H first. 

Then a solid bargain like Soucy-Willander next year. Oh boy. 

I'd be very happy to welcome Tanev back to end his career here. Maybe 2 years 3.5 mil? something like that. Bring Cole back for one more too. 

H-H

Cole-Tanev

Soucy-Willander/Friedman 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

actually I would. H-H is just so dominant that yep I'd make teams face that nightmare every game. 

Cole-Pesce would be an awesome 2nd pair, particularly after teams had to game plan H-H first. 

I'd be very happy to welcome Tanev back to end his career here. Maybe 2 years 3.5 mil? something like that. Bring Cole back for one more too. 

H-H

Cole-Tanev

Soucy-Willander/Friedman 

Pass on Tanev for me. 13 points last year, zero this year through a disastrous opening 8 games for the lames. We are already 2 years south of Peak Tanev and my guess is he doesn't get any better at 34 years old than he is at 33 years old.  I considered him expendable too when he was no longer a Canuck i didn't mind so much, hindsight being 20/20: he had that one year where he scored more than 2 goals in 21-22, that was his career year. Pass. 

• Upvote 1

What a game - i'll never get bored of watching us ventilate old Binners and the blues ! 

Phil DeGretzy is he Burrows in disguise. Making a real impact on the Miller line, what a find ! 

Huggy - wow ! What a captain and what a player, just gets better every year. I also love how we now have a captain that sets the standard and shows up every game showing that raw desires to win. Something i never felt Bo did - far too many times when the chips were down, you barely knew he was on ice, and he was almost never the one to make the difference when we really needed a spark, specially from our captain. And I'm far from a Bo hater ! 

The Petey line is really starting to click now Mykhead is back. 

The other Pacific teams are really sucking right now - time to really drive the advantage home. See if we can get something against NYR on the back to back tonight. Gonna be a tough game but belief is high for the first time since 2019. 

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

H-H

Cole-Tanev

Soucy-Willander/Friedman 

I'm hoping we go for Zadorov in the summer (as good as Cole has been).

Next year:

Hughes, Hronek/new guy

Zadorov, Hronek/new guy

Soucy, Willander/Bear (or similar)... maybe Friedman

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Pass on Tanev for me. 13 points last year, zero this year through a disastrous opening 8 games for the lames. We are already 2 years south of Peak Tanev and my guess is he doesn't get any better at 34 years old than he is at 33 years old.  I considered him expendable too when he was no longer a Canuck i didn't mind so much, hindsight being 20/20: he had that one year where he scored more than 2 goals in 21-22, that was his career year. Pass. 

OK Pesce then 😀 

Just now, aGENT said:

I'm hoping we go for Zadorov in the summer (as good as Cole has been).

Next year:

Hughes, Hronek/new guy

Zadorov, Hronek/new guy

Soucy, Willander/Bear (or similar)

H-H

Z-Pesce

Soucy-Willander/Bear

Hirose-Freidman

thats a pretty nice group of 8 right there for next year. And actually possible if we can move Garland, since new Beau and Myers will be gone. Probably quite tight cap wise, I haven't done the math but I suspect something close to this is possible.