Does this year's team remind you of 2011 Canucks team?

2011 Team  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Does this year's team remind you of 2011 Canucks team?

• Yes
    • No

Too early to say that I think. This team isn't as deep as 2011, especially on the blue line. I get more of 2020 vibes right now. We were a very solid playoff team for most of that year until we started to slide once Markstrom got hurt. Got right back up in the playoffs though.

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Too early to say that I think. This team isn't as deep as 2011, especially on the blue line. I get more of 2020 vibes right now. We were a very solid playoff team for most of that year until we started to slide once Markstrom got hurt. Got right back up in the playoffs though.

I agree I would say they are a little better than that 2020 team but not by much will have to see where this team is in December and January to really judge how much different this team is whether its good or bad.

Edited by Shekky
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BIGGESTCANUCKSFANEVER said:

Does this year's team remind you of 2011 Canucks team?

GO CANUCKS GO! BELIEVE IN BLUE!

No, not even close, lol.  Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

That 2011 team was one of the greatest teams ever assembled in NHL history (Top 75? Maybe Top 50).   

I'm very happy with our current Canucks team and the way they are playing, but they are probably closer to 2006-2007 or even 2001-2002 than they are from those 2008-2013 teams.  2014-2015 also comes to mind.  We need to see a bigger sample size however.

I will say one thing.  I am of the belief that this coaching staff of Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar is the best coaching staff that we've had since the Pat Quinn days.  This team's aggression on the PK, gap control, and tremendous attention to detail is absolutely night and day from last season.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think DeSmith (at least at this moment) has fans more comfortable in him than Demko did when he was backing up Markstrom?  Since he was the protege with potential but ultimately unproven, whereas DeSmith has had experience as a legit 1B in Pittsburgh so, while the upside may not be quite as high, he in turn instills more confidence.

As well with the start to this season I think we're slightly ahead of 2020, with the defense not being built on goaltending alone where the goalie stole games.  Petey and Miller both PK and the group around is strengthened too so defensively and shorthanded we can still cause trouble.  

• Cheers 2

the 2011 team was near perfect in terms of depth so I would say no. 

Difference also is that all of these elite players we had were all in their primes. 

For example, on defence:

edler, bieksa, hamhuis and ehrhoff as top 4, all in their primes.

and you have guys like a young tanev, ballard, rome..etc. to fill out the rest of the defence. 

Goaltending you have a franchise goalie like Luongo and an elite/franchise goalie (Schneider) as your backup? 

The 2011 team was special.

Let's hope this new core can someday mirror that success and (hopefully) surpass it.

I could see that a bit...

Petey + Kuz = Sedins

Mikheyev = Burrows

Miller = Kesler

Boeser = Samuelsson

Hughes = Ehrhoff

Hronek = Edler

Cole/Soucy = Bieksa/Hamhuis

Demko = Luongo

They had some great 3rd wingers though, Lapierre, Higgins, Hansen, Raffi Torres. We have some nice pieces like Joshua, Lafferty, PDG I suppose and Garland and Beauvillier who are fairly useless, but those gritty scorers came up big in the playoffs and that's something we lack a bit, but hope Suter and Blueger can become.

That 2011 team was a real powerhouse though. The Sedins were the best (if not top-3) players in the world at that time. Petey isn't quite in that range just because of the elite players in the league right now. Luongo was a top-2 goalie. I think Demko has that potential but is probably top-5 right now. Our bottom-4 defence was much better and tougher back then compared to now. During that era we were pretty much top in the league in goals for and goals against, and our PP and PK were like always hovering around top-3 if not top-5 in the league.

We don't quite have the quality, but the pieces are there.

2 hours ago, HuggyCareBear said:

the 2011 team was near perfect in terms of depth so I would say no. 

Difference also is that all of these elite players we had were all in their primes. 

For example, on defence:

edler, bieksa, hamhuis and ehrhoff as top 4, all in their primes.

and you have guys like a young tanev, ballard, rome..etc. to fill out the rest of the defence. 

Goaltending you have a franchise goalie like Luongo and an elite/franchise goalie (Schneider) as your backup? 

The 2011 team was special.

Let's hope this new core can someday mirror that success and (hopefully) surpass it.

Yeah the 2011 team was top 3 in every statistical category you can think of except PK (6th). 1st in goals, least amount of goals, goal differential, that 2011 was a powerhouse.

I do get the 2011 vibes in terms of the core starting to realizing their potential because of the added pieces and the fact that finally FINALLY top to bottom of the organization, they are in sync. This management team seems to want to really be involved in not only personnel decisions but the off season training regimen of the players ( Brock Boeser article), basically catering to the players needs to be successful. You cant be a dolt just sitting in the GM room signing any idiot to a long term contract (Jimbo), and theres actually thought into how the team is constructed

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Even if we are very generous and say at forward, its a push, the depth of the 2011 in the backend was VASTLY superior and the goaltending. Bieksa Edler Erhoff Hamhuis and Salo couldve been a top 4 in ANY TEAM. Add to the fact that you get Vezina calibre goaltending from either Luongo or Schneider, that really tips the scales. Id even argue it was probably the best chance a team would've brought a cup back to Canada in comparison to the bubble Habs team, and Senators finals teams

• Cheers 1

No, but looking at our scoring, we definitely will have more guys over 50 points this year than in 2011.  In 2011, only 3 guys had over 50 points, Hank, Daniel and Kesler.  This year I can see maybe 6-7 guys with over 50 points including 2 Dmen.  Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Mikheyev, Hughes and Hronek.  All of these guys except maybe Hronek could also get 20 goals, so we'd have 5 this year.  In 2011, we only had 3 guys with 20 goals, Daniel, Kelser and Burrows.

Demko looks like he can match Luongo.  And we have a great backup this year too.  The major difference this year is that we have Quinn Hughes.  Ehrhoff was great, but he was no Quinn Hughes.

We are still missing a Jannik Hansen type for the 3rd line and Raffi Torres.  Blueger could be our Malhotra.  Our defence is alot weaker this year, not sure we can strengthen it to the point of 2011.  If we added another top 4 Dman this year it would be close...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, but looking at our scoring, we definitely will have more guys over 50 points this year than in 2011.  In 2011, only 3 guys had over 50 points, Hank, Daniel and Kesler.  This year I can see maybe 6-7 guys with over 50 points including 2 Dmen.  Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Mikheyev, Hughes and Hronek.  All of these guys except maybe Hronek could also get 20 goals, so we'd have 5 this year.  In 2011, we only had 3 guys with 20 goals, Daniel, Kelser and Burrows.

Demko looks like he can match Luongo.  And we have a great backup this year too.  The major difference this year is that we have Quinn Hughes.  Ehrhoff was great, but he was no Quinn Hughes.

We are still missing a Jannik Hansen type for the 3rd line and Raffi Torres.  Blueger could be our Malhotra.  Our defence is alot weaker this year, not sure we can strengthen it to the point of 2011.  If we added another top 4 Dman this year it would be close...

Thats going to be tough, Blueger wasn't the 60 plus % in the dot Malhotra was. He was injured most of the playoff run but Malhotra played a massive part on why our special teams was so good. The guy go on the ice, win the faceoff and change giving us valuable possession during PK in PP. He basically got us a guaranteed 15 second possesion everytime he won a faceoff which was huge. That being said, lets see how Blueger does once he gets in the lineup

3 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Thats going to be tough, Blueger wasn't the 60 plus % in the dot Malhotra was. He was injured most of the playoff run but Malhotra played a massive part on why our special teams was so good. The guy go on the ice, win the faceoff and change giving us valuable possession during PK in PP. He basically got us a guaranteed 15 second possesion everytime he won a faceoff which was huge. That being said, lets see how Blueger does once he gets in the lineup

Suter is at 59% this year.  So, he may be the faceoff guy we need in the playoffs as well as Blueger.  Blueger was 56% last year in Vegas...

• Cheers 1

No, doesn’t remind me of the team and players. But, I was actually thinking that finally the Canucks are looking to be a good team again, and hopefully make the playoffs. I don’t live in Vancouver anymore but have continued to follow them through the rebuild. I was living there in 2011, in the downtown area….I didn’t join the riot, hehe. I grew up in Coquitlam and was never a Canucks fan growing up, I’d go to games to see the visiting team. Dad took me to a Bruin’s game when I was little to see Bobby Orr, and we’d go to see the Montreal Canadians and wow!….the Canucks were nothing special back then, my parents had season tickets for the New Westminster Bruins and they were awesome! 
I became a Canuck fan after watching Trevor Linden’s first year after being drafted, I think he was 18/19yrs old and playing centre. Then came Gino and Bure and I was sold! 
On that note I liked Bo Horvat and wasn’t happy we couldn’t afford to keep him, I thought he was the first good piece of a rebuild. But really like who we kept and can hopefully continue to afford.

Long story short, if this years team goes to the cup final I’ll be happily surprised!

But the Canucks have some star players and a star goaltender!…who knows, hopefully soon the Nucks actually win a Stanley Cup.

Edited by Bretzky

Not really but I think I said a few years ago that the bubble run team reminded me of the 1989 Canucks and that they looked like they were a couple years away from something like the 1992 and 1993 Canucks who started winning their division titles.  Looks like this year might be their 1992.

If it turns out that way...maybe Tocchet is their Pat Quinn.

7 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

The 2011 team was a powerhouse, they used to put on clinics against teams. It had 2 MVPs and Selke winner. They used to dominate games. 2023 team isn't even close to them

This "domination" you speak of needs to occur in the playoffs and not just in the regular season, and so it remains to be seen the better team at this point. I can guarantee though , this team will not be intimidated by a little Rat like Marchand. 😀

8 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

The 2011 team was a powerhouse, they used to put on clinics against teams. It had 2 MVPs and Selke winner. They used to dominate games. 2023 team isn't even close to them

Yeah the only team that was as good as the 2011 Canucks, (almost) the last while was Boston. I remember wondering if the Canucks were gonna loose 10 games that's season. Every single game I watched with my dad felt like a guarantee almost. Power plays were 1:30+ in the zone without breaking a sweat. Luongo was playing like a champ, Defense when healthy was top notch. Hard to think what we could've even upgraded on.. maybe our 7/8th D? Rome and Alberts wasn't it? When you think of this team you immediately think we could use a #3/4 RHD, a #5/6 RHD, and bump Myers(Alberts) and Friedman (Rome)? Down to the 7/8 spots. Even adding a rough and tough 3rd RW over Garland/Beauvillie as we lack a Dorrsett type there or Torres, Mayday, Rypien. A guy to keep people's head up.