Does this year's team remind you of 2011 Canucks team?

BIGGESTCANUCKSFANEVER

2011 Team  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Does this year's team remind you of 2011 Canucks team?

• Yes
    • No

No, not the same. 

One word.... Hughes.

There simply is no comparison.  His presents and style of play leaves a indelible characteristic style of play that we've never had before.  If I was to compare, I'd say we are somewhat of a highbred of the 94 and 2011 team.... But even that... Not really.  

I think as the season goes on, and if we make the playoffs.  We as fans will be shown who this team is. 

They are in the process right now,  creating, forginging a stand alone place as one of the better if not best era teams in canuck history. 

This could carry on for a half decade or so with the current youth of our core, and the high end prospects inserted into the lineup along the way.

What excites me the most, is most of our high end prospects are defensemen.  That is also a first in canucks history.  

This is new territory we are being witnessed to.  It is early, but I think most of us as fan can see and feel...  Something special is happening here.

Fun, fun!!!

Go canacks go!!!

Swing a couple of trades for another tougher winger for the 3rd line

And maybe get a better RHD in a trade closer to TDL, and we won't be that far off...

We definitely have a better player in QH, Hronek matches a few of the then team (Salo), but we still need another top 4 D.

Get Beau (and Garland) off the pay list, and we may be able to use the cap space to acquire those two missing parts. (Not hating on Garland, but its a numbers game...)

7 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Yeah the 2011 team was top 3 in every statistical category you can think of except PK (6th). 1st in goals, least amount of goals, goal differential, that 2011 was a powerhouse.

Even better than that 1st in PP and 3rd in PK. If you go by net PP and net PK, they were 1st and 5th, respectively. One of the best regular season teams out there for sure.

By comparison, last year's Bruins were 2nd in goals, 1st in goals against, 1st in differential, 1st in PK, but 12th in PP (13th in net PP). They won more games, but were arguably less dominant doing so.

Lots of personnel changes and guys like PDG have been stepping up.  Addition of Hronek has been a huge difference so far.  I could see it in camp.....the guy's robotically good.  DeSmith has also given them confidence from day 1 (although it's too early to know how sustainable that will be).  Goaltending was atrocious last year and a big reason why they started from way too far behind.

However, the biggest change this year is the impact of coaching.  You can see in their practices that they're going at a higher pace.  They came to camp in better shape.  They're suddenly forechecking with two guys in which is rushing the other teams (huge benefit here).  Thank goodness I don't see that stupid repetitive drop-pass entry into the O-zone that one could see with every freaking power play.  Guys hold onto the puck more and look less rushed. That's systems at work and guys are working as a unit instead of individuals.  Bruce was likeable, but Tocchet and company are effective.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

This team is evolving still.  2011 team was a finished product.  

Defence upgrades are not complete and won't be until we have young guys pushing from below and woo, brise, etc have not been able to do that.  Hirose and McWard may do that pushing before willinder and Bruz and Celebrini and others do. ( Funny how Celebrini may manage to tag onto Willander).  

Forwards.  Too many skill guys.  We need another PDG like player.  Maybe Lafferty or Pods?  May need to trade a skill guy for someone.  Maybe Bains can be a Hansen style spark plug and fill the role.  But the forward mix is not correct yet and thus the bottom six is not doing their job yet.  

We are getting there.  

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, but looking at our scoring, we definitely will have more guys over 50 points this year than in 2011.  In 2011, only 3 guys had over 50 points, Hank, Daniel and Kesler.  This year I can see maybe 6-7 guys with over 50 points including 2 Dmen.  Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Mikheyev, Hughes and Hronek.  All of these guys except maybe Hronek could also get 20 goals, so we'd have 5 this year.  In 2011, we only had 3 guys with 20 goals, Daniel, Kelser and Burrows.

Demko looks like he can match Luongo.  And we have a great backup this year too.  The major difference this year is that we have Quinn Hughes.  Ehrhoff was great, but he was no Quinn Hughes.

We are still missing a Jannik Hansen type for the 3rd line and Raffi Torres.  Blueger could be our Malhotra.  Our defence is alot weaker this year, not sure we can strengthen it to the point of 2011.  If we added another top 4 Dman this year it would be close...

Yeah but that was also different time. It's a lot easier to score now than it was back in those days, so numbers are definitely inflated.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Even better than that 1st in PP and 3rd in PK. If you go by net PP and net PK, they were 1st and 5th, respectively. One of the best regular season teams out there for sure.

By comparison, last year's Bruins were 2nd in goals, 1st in goals against, 1st in differential, 1st in PK, but 12th in PP (13th in net PP). They won more games, but were arguably less dominant doing so.

Yes, and both teams never won the cup.  Lots in common...

No and for good, but not bummers reasons: 

Beyond the obvious of our 2011 team being an absolute beast of a team - they had consistent playoff series success/failures (making it but early exits) prior to the run. Always left me feeling like feeling we were fucking due. And all said - we did finish “this” close. 

This team shares attributes among certain players and I do think we are poised for a break out. But these guys need to do a year or two of post season damage before I put them in a conversation with our 2011 team.

But, if we win it all this year - even better baby 

Edited by GrammaInTheTub