[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs New York Rangers, Oct 28 7PM, Rogers Place - Give the Blueshirts the Blues Game

Rocket-68

I totally forgot there was a game tonight.  Hopefully the boys are rested enough!

Tocchet was smart to dial back icetime of the top guys in the 3rd last night. Granted, it was like an onslaught opening the door for St Louis but a good indication of the holes they have in the bottom 6. And that's where  vezina finalist Demko finally had to go to work-- a luxury, I might add, they did not have last year with Martin and Delia.

Interesting how that works isn't it.

Get a big lead...

8db02790ad2cfb19ad0df922935beb3c264869634adefe8f0586fc645a1970e2.jpg.53bc4190328b4fc706e3c2909014d4ed.jpg

Edited by Canuckle
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

A Random Hockey Story

Women in hockey have been facing public backlash since the birth of the game in the late 1800s. But despite all the pushback, we’ve never stopped playing.

The earliest records of women “hockeyists” on file are photographs from the 1880s, which show both men and women playing the game at skating parties hosted by Lord and Lady Stanley at Rideau Hall, with the women playing in full skirts.[I] The first documented organized women’s game occurred in 1889 between the Government house team (featuring Lord Stanley’s daughter Isobel), and the Rideau Ladies.

These women hockey players were among thousands to join teams over the next decade, as women’s hockey expanded almost simultaneously to the men’s game.

Women playing hockey is nothing new

The turn of the century would see the creation of women’s varsity hockey teams in universities such as McGill, Laval, Queens, and the University of Toronto, all part of the Ladies’ Ontario Hockey Association, the “LOHA.” Up until the Second World War, Canadian women were able to compete for the Eastern and Western Canada titles (when finances allowed), and the winners would have a shot at championship glory in informal “Dominion Championships,” which, although not officially sanctioned, were the closest women could come to a “National” tournament in the 1920s, ‘30s, and ‘40s.

Women’s hockey was fairly well-received by fans in this period, who would often pay to watch their favourite women’s teams battle it out at the rink. The infamous Preston Rivulettes (who maintained a win-loss record of 348 wins to only two losses, the all-time best ratio in either men’s or women’s hockey history), for example, reportedly drew over 6,000 fans to one of their matches in Galt, Ontario, in 1935.

Yet despite this strong fanbase, the rebellious women of the early 1900s were not supported by the population at large, and faced boatloads of criticism from the media. Take, for example, one article written by Mr. Andy Lytle in 1913, which stated that hockey could damage our “delicate bodies,” remove our “polish,” and make us “leather-limbed and inclined to flat chests.” Or again, take the first Queen’s University women’s team, who aptly named themselves the Love-Me-Littles due to the complete lack of support they had in their community.

Nonetheless, the first half of the 1900s saw sports like hockey rise in popularity among its high-spirited youth despite the wishes of more traditionally-valued individuals, creating a demographic rift in public opinion similar to today.

Women’s hockey was not simply an entertaining novelty item

The sport’s increase in popularity prior to the war proves that women’s hockey was not simply an entertaining novelty item as it might have been perceived at the beginning, but that the players had developed a sound and lasting skill appreciated by their many spectators. In the late 1930’s, the Preston Rivulettes had even planned a hockey tour through Europe to showcase their skills oversees and promote global interest in the sport, in an attempt to include women’s hockey in the Olympic Games. Unfortunately, this tour was cancelled due to the onset of WWII.

The story of the incredible Preston Rivulettes was also recently the subject of the fabulous stage production Glory by Canadian playwright Tracey Power – and the show is definitely worth your time! Moreover, Glory captures the precise moment when women’s hockey began to face a difficult reality, as all the forward momentum for girls in sport was put to a halt after the golden days of the 1930s.

The problem ultimately lay in the culture shift that occurred in Western society following the Second World War. During the 1940s and ‘50s, women’s hockey was largely put on hold in favour of the war effort, and very few women’s teams remained operational. This era would also see the NHL suffer the loss of nearly its entire roster, replaced by underage boys and military rejects. However, the men’s game continued to be aired on radio and covered by the media, to “boost morale” for the fighting population. In contrast, the women’s game almost never reached the newspapers or airwaves.

Let’s pause here and compare the lapse in women’s hockey to the revolutionary baseball flip-flop that occurred during WWII: this period would see the creation of the first ever All-American Girls’ Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL) in 1943 (also featuring players from Canada and Europe), which was intended to replace the MLB while the men were overseas. Sadly, this amazing opportunity for elite women was still wrought with sexism – the players were forced to wear ridiculous dresses as uniforms, take mandatory “charm” classes, and could be fined for having short hair or not wearing lipstick in public.

This interesting period was documented in the historical-fiction film A League of Their Own, directed by Penny Marshall. It’s a fantastic work of art that captivates the audience but also helps to reveal the complexity of the issues these women had to face in their daily lives. Unfortunately, poor business strategy and stronger marketing for the men’s team after the war would see the AAGPBL disintegrate by 1954.

In terms of hockey after the war, the NHL came back stronger than ever and became televised as of 1952.[x] The progress made by women’s rights activists in the first half of the century would be halted and even reversed after the men returning from Europe demanded that women abandon the work world and return to the kitchen. The same went for women who had entered the sports world, resulting in a severe decline in the social acceptance of women hockey players until the moral upheavals of the 1960s.

It was during my childhood in the 1960s and ‘70s that public interest in women’s hockey began to slowly resurface, and hundreds of girls ditched their figure skates for hockey ones, and made their way onto the ice to play the sport they loved.

I shared in this challenging collective journey and faced no shortage of insults and obstacles in the process. I hope that by documenting and sharing my experiences from this period in history in my upcoming memoir OFFSIDE, I can join Glory and A League of Their Own in contributing to the much-needed cultural shift away from discriminatory patriarchal values. It is precisely by taking the time to analyze and explain the difficult dynamics of the social structures at play in each geo-temporal situation, that we can find the reasons behind each case of gender inequality, seek solutions for each problem, and share those solutions with others so that we can take collective action as a society.

Source: https://womenshockeylife.com/womens-hockey-history/

Personal Story:

I have been a rabid fan of hockey in general and of the Vancouver Canucks in particular. However, other than some random story about Hayley W, women's hockey was not on my radar - which I would hazard a guess is/was true for most hockey fans across Canada. That changed in 2014.

I was driving home from a business meeting and surfing through radio stations before landing on a play-by-play of the Women's Gold Medal game. To say the announcer was "losing his shite" would have been an understatement. I pulled into my local local watering hole and walked in to a standing room only event. Despite it being early (around noon if my memory serves me correctly - a bit hazy on the time), it seemed half the town was crowded in there. I even noticed a judge who should have been in court but must have called in "sick" as he was clearly well in the bag screaming himself hoarse along with the entire clerking staff from the court house. 

Canada was down 2 - 0 despite furiously peppering the American goal with shots. The hockey was amazing, rivaled only by the enthusiasm of the crowd watching. I squeezed my way to the bar and cancelled the rest of my afternoon while waiting for my pint to arrive. Jenner scored with about 4 minutes left in regulation - the roof just about collapsed when the cheers erupted. I looked behind me and noticed we were well represented by the boys in blue standing in the back. While they weren't drinking, they certainly were there to cheer on the women's team.

My heart stopped when Canada pulled its goalie and USA had a chance to score an empty netter but hit the post. Poulin scored with less than a minute left and the place literally exploded. I didn't think a bar could have gotten any louder - I was wrong.

I was lost in the moment of being a proud Canadian and thinking "holy frack, these women are great, this game is on fire" ... I must have spilled more beer than I drank. 

When Poulin scored in overtime I could sworn the windows must have cracked. I couldn't have been a prouder Canadian at that moment. No one left the bar afterwards and I finally walked out to go home well past the last interview of the Canadian women was over. I learned Hockey was more than the Canucks that day and try to catch the Canadian women playing a game when I can. What am amazing player (and person) Hayley Wickenheiser is. Fun Fact: Hayley became the first woman to score a goal playing in a men's semi-pro league. She played 23 games, scoring 2 goals with 10 assists. 

************Now for the Game Day Thread**********

Overview

Both the Canucks and the Rangers sport a 5-2 record with New York first in the Metropolitan Division with the Canucks second in the Pacific Division. Captain Obvious states that one of them will be sporting a 6-2 record and the Magic 8-Ball goes even further with a "VANCOUVER WINS" prediction. The Rangers will try to extend a 3-game win streak while the Canucks look to make it 4 in a row. GO CANUCKS GO.

Both the Canucks and Rangers are coming off of shutout victories. Other than perhaps a small gripe about the Canucks power play, they played a solid game last night. Even the Chaos Giraffe had a good game from start to finish - quick trade him to the Rangers.

Casey DeSmith is likely to get the start given it is a back-to-back game and that is just fine given the level of play he has exhibited between the pipes for the Canucks.

On offense, the Canucks are averaging 4 goals per game which is 8th in the NHL. In terms of shots on goal per game, they are 28th in the league. This season, the Canucks are 3-0 when getting more shots on goal than their opponents. And in games with fewer shots on goal, they have a 2-2 record. The Canucks defense is currently 10th in goals allowed. Opponents are averaging 31.6 shots per game against Vancouver. In terms of shutouts, they come into the game ranked 7th with 1 shutouts.

On the offensive side, the Rangers are scoring an 3 goals per game this season, ranking 18th in the NHL. When it came to shots on target per game, they are 22nd in the league. In terms of power play goals, the Rangers offense is 9th in power play goals. As for shorthanded goals, they are 17th in the NHL. Defensively, the Rangers come into the season ranked 31st in goals allowed. Opponents are averging 24.9 shots per game against New York. For the season, they are ranked 9th in shutouts, coming in with 1 shutouts.

Quote of the day

"We have to be mature," Miller said. "It's just a game, enjoy it, but we have to play a game (Saturday) against a really good team that's hungry and has been playing well."

By the Numbers

• Elias Pettersson has 12 points (2-10-12) in his last seven games.
  • Brock Boeser has posted nine points (6-3-9) in his last seven games and is currently on a four-game point streak (2-2-4).
  • J.T. Miller has 11 points (3-8-11) in his last seven games.
  • Quinn Hughes has eight points (3-5-8) in his last seven games.
  • Thatcher Demko posted a .936 SV% and has a 1.91 GAA in his last five games (3-2-0). He recorded a shutout in his most recent game.

image.thumb.png.bdcc1892eec7ff5b4a1060de9477deba.png

image.thumb.png.ad2b28b7800e5995606537493932e00e.png

image.png.e98c00ffffb515b86e664c5f63cdf2cf.png

Media

You know the drill, GO BUY A TICKET AND throw random objects at the opposing team - just kidding, no violence please, just your best one-liners hurled at the Ranger bench, and the zebras as needed. Otherwise go to your local watering hole and support your team and swill some beer.

TV: CBC Hockey Night in Canada, SN1, CityTV

Radio: SportsNet 650

Streaming: lots on various Reddit threads 

Matchup Info

We have researched the best betting odds in America for this game, which are listed here:

• Puck Line: Canucks +1.5 (-175), Rangers -1.5 (+155)
  • Moneyline: Canucks +140, Rangers -162
  • Total: Over/Under 5.5 (-125/+110)

Source: https://www.dimers.com/news/rangers-vs-canucks-prediction-and-odds-october-28-2023-44228

image.png.329bc14f70b96c295d21577277ccf0e2.png

image.png.ee9574c97d11eec0c82dc7e6e8c9dcb9.png

image.thumb.png.3b3c047e9551a2e373dfd7fdcc1710f0.png

image.png.b5a52a4a9f434372fa2b82a730b5fa8b.png

image.thumb.png.8e081898291824d9fa9c2e4ebafdf23f.png

image.png.8e01454b11eee0ae655d09e480d98dd1.png

image.thumb.png.67d33f664bb2cf5cbce4306081c4f152.png

image.thumb.png.1edabd160111be3f206836af893f18c2.png

image.png.8041ee5d4f4ed687068c63f163683f87.png

image.png.9181dbdd2094e1b25f64685982b31c6c.png

Tonight marks the first of two meetings between the Canucks and Rangers this season: Oct. 28 (home), Jan. 8 (road).

Vancouver is 38-80-8-3 all-time against the New York Rangers, including a 21-38-3-1 record at home.

The Canucks are 5-3-2 in their last 10 games against the Rangers (3-2-0 in their last five).

Among active skaters, Anthony Beauvillier (13-11-24, 29 GP) leads the team in career scoring vs New York.

Casey DeSmith posted a 3.46 GAA and .879 SV% in eight career games (3-2-1) against the Rangers.

In two career games (2-0-0), Thatcher Demko has a 1.98 GAA and .931 SV% all time against New York.

Da Zebras

image.png.1d529fa76a8245263abcc0e93394b653.png

image.png.9762a7fa101127a66c8f3bed5f8e5838.png

Player Spotlight

HISTORIC PETEY

• After collecting two assists on Oct. 27/23 vs STL, Elias Pettersson matched the Canucks franchise record for fewest games into a season needed for a player to reach 10 assists (7 games). Other notable players who accomplished the same feat are Thomas Gradin (1980.81), Jiri Bubla (1983.84) and Paul Reinhart (1989.90).
  • With his two-point game (1-1-2) on Oct. 21/23 at FLA, Pettersson now ranks t-3rd (52) all-time amongst Canuck centres with most career games with at least one goal and one assist. He trails Thomas Gradin (60) and Henrik Sedin (91).
  • On Oct. 21/23, Pettersson became the first player since 1995.96 and the sixth player in Canucks franchise history to reach 10 points in five games or fewer. He joins Tony Tanti (1983.84), Dan Hodgson (1987.88), Paul Reinhart (1989.90), Anatoli Semenov (1992.93), Alexander Mogliny (1995.96).
  • After registering an assist on Oct. 21/23 at FLA, Pettersson became the first Vancouver Canuck to post at least eight assists through the first five games of a season since Tony Tanti (1987.88).
  • Elias Pettersson was named the NHL second star of the week after recording 6 points (1-5-6) through his first two games including a 4-point (1-3-4) game on Oct. 11/23 vs EDM. Pettersson (1.01) currently ranks 3rd among Canucks skaters in points per game, behind J.T. Miller (1.07) and Pavel Bure (1.12).

BROCKTOBER

• With Boeser’s sixth goal of the season, registered on Oct. 21/23, he ranks third all-time amongst Canucks skaters for most goals through the first five games of a season. Tony Tanti (7 goals, 1983.84) and Alexander Mogliny (7 goals, 1995.96) are both tied for first. Brock Boeser currently ranks t-3rd in the league for most goals scored in the 2023.24 regular season.
  • Boeser recorded a new career high with four goals on the season opener, Oct. 11/23 vs EDM, marking his third career hat trick. His four goals made him the 10th player in NHL history, including two other Canucks, Rick Blight and Greg Adams, to score four goals in a season opening game. Boeser also led the team with shots (8) in the Canucks season opener and became the second player in Canucks history to score four goals against the Oilers.

DIALED IN DEMKO AND DESMITH

• Thatcher Demko recorded his fourth career shutout on Oct. 27/23 vs STL.
  • Demko and Casey DeSmith have only allowed 15 goals this season. The only teams with fewer goals allowed are the Bruins (11 in 7 GP) and Rangers (13 in 7 GP).

MILLER THE MAGNIFICENT

• J.T. Miller (1-2-3) recorded his sixth three-point period with the Canucks on Oct. 27/23 vs STL. With this feat he tied Henrik Sedin for the fourth most in Canucks history behind Pavel Bure (8), Trevor Linden (8) and Markus Naslund (7).

DYNAMIC DUOS

• While sharing the ice together, Quinn Hughes and Filip Hronek are one of four defensive pairings in the NHL to not have allowed an even strength goal this season with a minimum of 60:00 played together.

SENSATIONAL STARTS

• Scoring within 62 seconds to start the second period on Oct. 19/23 at TBL, Brock Boeser and Tyler Myers recorded the fifth- fastest instance of two goals to start any period in Canucks history.

CAPTAIN QUINN

• Oct. 27/23 vs STL, Quinn Hughes recorded two goals ranking him t-3rd for most multi-point games (59) by a Canucks defenceman in franchise history. He trails Jyrki Lumme (67) and Alexander Edler (68). During the game he also recorded his third career multi-point game. He trails Mattias Ohlund (7), Rick Lanz (4), Jyrki Lumme (4) and Alexander Edler (4) for most in franchise history.
  • In his regular season debut as captain (Oct. 11/23 vs EDM), Hughes recorded three assists marking the 13th time he has collected three-plus assists in a game. This ranks Hughes third amongst NHL defencemen for most multiple three-plus assist games by prior to their 24th birthday. Under his leadership, the Vancouver Canucks earned their largest margin of victory on a season opening game in franchise history.
  • Hughes currently leads all defenceman in assists since the 2019.20 regular season (217).
  • With Hughes on the ice, the Canucks have outscored opponents 12-1 this season.
  • By registering one more point, Quinn Hughes (265) will tie Kevin Bieksa (266) for sixth most points by a Canucks defenceman, regular season and playoffs combined.

Now for some fun stuff

Canucks vs Rangers Game 7 Highlights

Canucks Rangers Brawl #1

Canucks Rangers Brawl #2

Thanks and that's a lot of work.  Gratitude.   Going back to Bieksa is silly though.   Can someone please go back to 1993- 1994 game.,in NY where the announcer said "wouldn't it be great if they met in the playoffs"  after they had a great game and both benches were riled up (regular season... so what two games! it was in NY pretty sure)  and someone finally did!   Thank you. 

Quin was mad.  Keanan was mad.   They were freaking out at each other and the broadcasters said "Keenan better be careful or he might throw him into the rafters".   That's the BC broadcast not the one you've found but still kudos. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

42 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

I totally forgot there was a game tonight.  Hopefully the boys are rested enough!

Tocchet was smart to dial back icetime of the top guys in the 3rd last night. Granted, it was like an onslaught opening the door for St Louis but a good indication of the holes they have in the bottom 6. And that's where  vezina finalist Demko finally had to go to work-- a luxury, I might add, they did not have last year with Martin and Delia.

Interesting how that works isn't it.

Get a big lead...

8db02790ad2cfb19ad0df922935beb3c264869634adefe8f0586fc645a1970e2.jpg.53bc4190328b4fc706e3c2909014d4ed.jpg

Simon Pegg Cheers GIF by PeacockTV

• Cheers 2