[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs New York Rangers, Oct 28 7PM, Rogers Place - Give the Blueshirts the Blues Game

Rocket-68

21 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

How much longer will we have to keep this up before the eastern idiots give us a reasonable spot in their power rankings?

The Athletic had us at 14th yesterday.  Toronto at 4th.    (Drance was not involved)

I mean… I wouldn’t have us top 10 at this point. Keep it up for another month and we can start talking though. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Five keys to the Canucks winning and making this an enjoyable game:

1) Tyler Myers - enjoys the game from the press box; or

2) Tyler Myers - sent down to ECHL; or

3) Tyler Myers - traded; or

4) Tyler Myers - placed on LTIR (likely trade incoming roster); and

5) Lowering beer prices at Rogers Place

All of the above! 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

How much longer will we have to keep this up before the eastern idiots give us a reasonable spot in their power rankings?

The Athletic had us at 14th yesterday.  Toronto at 4th.    (Drance was not involved)

Nah let the eastern media circle jerk themselves about their teams.

• Cheers 2

Interested to see who's in goal tonight. Demko wasn't exactly overworked last night and totally deserved the shutout. It's unbelievable that it is only his 4th career shutout, but I guess that's a sad comment on our defence over the last 4 years.

I have confidence in DeSmith, but Demmer looks dialed in at the moment. It would be good to ride the wave against a top team and send the Rangers packing with their tails between their legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Interested to see who's in goal tonight. Demko wasn't exactly overworked last night and totally deserved the shutout. It's unbelievable that it is only his 4th career shutout, but I guess that's a sad comment on our defence over the last 4 years.

I have confidence in DeSmith, but Demmer looks dialed in at the moment. It would be good to ride the wave against a top team and send the Rangers packing with their tails between their legs.

Heard it was DeSmith tonight.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

If we're still at roughly this level (play and record) at the 20 game mark, I think you'll start to see the talking heads begrudgingly giving the team some respect.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My advice? Don’t worry what the skid marks back east think about this team. They’re delusional in thinking that their beloved Laffs have a chance this year with that pathetic defense. Fuck em

That's what I tell my buddies in Toronto every time I talk to them. 😆

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

We are one of the top teams in goal scored, but also one of the lowest in expected goals.  It's a combination of unsustainable finishing (skewed by game one) but also some elite scorers who make their chances count (Miller/Pettersson).

The biggest transformation is on defense and goaltending.  Expected goals down.  Actual goals way down.  Myers is the exception to this (he is still really inconsistent) but we have reduced his minutes and it has helped overall.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Five keys to the Canucks winning and making this an enjoyable game:

1) Tyler Myers - enjoys the game from the press box; or

2) Tyler Myers - sent down to ECHL; or

3) Tyler Myers - traded; or

4) Tyler Myers - placed on LTIR (likely trade incoming roster); and

5) Lowering beer prices at Rogers Place

He had a good game yesterday and had a great assist on PDG's goal. 

You could give him a little credit and hope that Tochet has figured out how to get the most out of him without too much risk.

• ThereItIs 2

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My advice? Don’t worry what the skid marks back east think about this team. They’re delusional in thinking that their beloved Laffs have a chance this year with that pathetic defense. Fuck em

I agree as most teams that win a cup have a good team game, not one to three players doing their own thing.

So far one game we looked bad, but the rest has been great team play.

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Dunno.  It wasn't my tweet.

I agree it doesn't make much sense.

Isn’t the saying hitching your horse to a wagon? So wouldn’t the Canucks be a horse and us fans the wagon - hence bandwagoning?

I’m also confused but I can’t keep up with slang anymore so maybe this is no cap mid rizzing us oldies who like to be confused by youth 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

You could give him a little credit and hope that Tochet has figured out how to get the most out of him without too much risk.

That’s key with Myers. His minutes (role) need to match his ability. He can’t play over his head. 

• ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Yeah it's a really rough call. If they start Demmer and he has a tough game, the majority of cdc and the media will shit all over Tochet for putting him in. 

Smitty is the logical choice with limited backlash if things don't go right.

But I agree, it's not a clear cut case of playing the backup.

Just now, JayDangles said:

Yes, he had an excellent game last night and as a Canucks fan I do hope he strings another dozen of them together in a row.

At this point if if Myers puts in 3 good games out of 5, then he is probably worth keeping until the off season. Tocchet has revitalized a number of players, hello Boeser, and getting buy in from all.

GO Canucks GO.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Isn’t the saying hitching your horse to a wagon? So wouldn’t the Canucks be a horse and us fans the wagon - hence bandwagoning?

I’m also confused but I can’t keep up with slang anymore so maybe this is no cap mid rizzing us oldies who like to be confused by youth 

LOL watched Old Dad's last night you might find that amusing.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That’s key with Myers. His minutes (role) need to match his ability. He can’t play over his head. 

Or any where around it lol

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Exactly. 

I get Myers has been a huge liability lately and everyone has been piling it on. But his minutes have been limited the last 2 games, and he is noticeably better. 

What's so wrong with folks acknowledging that, and seeing the positive. He is still over paid, but he is finally in the role people wanted, so relax and enjoy the ride.

Maybe shit on Beau for a while instead.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BPA said:

I wouldn’t mess with the top 6 lines.  It’s clicking.

Mik EP Kuz

PDG Miller Boeser 

2 scoring lines that have shown worked so far.

It’s the 3rd and 4th lines that need a bit of tinkering.  

Hughes Hronek combo is a beauty.  The other D pairings also need a bit of tweaking.  

Although Myers played well last night, still not liking a $6M D playing sheltered minutes.  Hopefully he continues his improvement and is able to take on more minutes without being a liability.

I would like it a lot less if Myers was playing big minutes.

As a lot of people have commented, Myers is okay playing sheltered minutes on the third pairing. In that role, he is a positive, as he was against St. Louis. Anything else is asking for trouble.

Yes, the 6 Million cap hit is too much, but there is not much the current management group can do about that.  It would not even make much sense to try to trade Myers as it would be hard to replace him with a RD as good. If Bear gets healthy and is re-signed, then maybe something happens.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I agree as most teams that win a cup have a good team game, not one to three players doing their own thing.

So far one game we looked bad, but the rest has been great team play.

True. I see a team with an identity and purpose in the Canucks. The Laffs? I see an overpriced forward corps, an old and soft defense and a young goaltender whose got promise but will be hung out to dry.