PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

10 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Yep. Huggy’s shot upgraded, but probably needs a screen to make it through.

Hughes and Miller run the QB and are a threat to score. Petey seems optimal placed to unleash his wrister or slap shot on the right. 

It’s really Kuz and Boeser that need to get going.  Like you said one of them needs to take over at bumper, or we might need to swap out personnel. 

Who else is big enough to take abuse / screen the goalie, and has a decent shot and enough hand/eye? Lafferty? Myers? Lol

mikheyev maybe

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

mikheyev maybe

Good one. 6’3” 195 lbs, has a great left handed shot. That could be an easier transition that lets Kuzy play around the net, where he’s so dangerous.

He was on PP 2 last game. Maybe switch him with Brock and let him and Kuzy speak to each other in Russian to set up plays?

PP1

Kuz

JT     Mik    EP

QH

How would you draw up the second unit with Brock and Hronek?

• Vintage 1

On 10/29/2023 at 8:33 PM, Goal_thecup said:

I meant my mom is 94 and still swearing at the refs on TV.

I better go back and edit that post.

She also has a full repertoire of stuff like, "Hit him!  Kill him!"

She is not very politically correct but she does not swear.

And she's loud enough to be heard by all her fellow residents in care.

And she does not care.  "Get out of my room!"

You'd know which room she was in as soon as you got in the door if the Lions or the Canucks were on TV.

Magic.... sport is life 💙

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/29/2023 at 9:02 PM, Canuckle said:

In OT....

As I stated, [in 3 on 3] how many blatant picks, battles with grabbing, hooking, etc. with all that open ice, similar levels in skill... how do you beat your man without some kind of hard battle that could subjectively be labeled as an infraction?

The entire game of hockey is players trying to gain advantage on eachother legally and illegally with things being missed and/or purposefully uncalled. I ask, would it even be NHL hockey if it wasn't?

It's not like we're talking an offside or whether a puck crossed a goal line. If we open it up to overturning a goal on anything, it calls into question the game itself and how it's played. I think the reason not to do it kinda speaks for itself.

3 on 3 nothing would be able to happen because everything players do to eachother could be basically viewed as infractions calling it 100% by the rulebook.

Do you see what happens out there?  Like for real.  Follow the logic through.

Damn near every goal in OT could be and likely would be called back. Lol

Its now Tuesday and I've slept a few times over it, and have to somewhat agree, that I don't like VAR (video reviews).... 

It just spoils the game.... 

2 reasons 

A: the time it takes before fans can actually celebrate a goal, and

B: it is still subject to interpretation...

I was so angry on Saturday, but whats the point. 
Bad calls happen every game, so we just have to get even better...

I remember, how much I detested that sweaty pig behind the Bruins bench in 2011, because of his constant moaning and complaining about Canucks diving and antics, while Bruins was at least as bad, if not far worse. 
At the time, I felt they got an unfair amount of refereeing help, but reality was we didn't score enough goals... simples really. 

I still hate that sweaty pig and rat boy, and the NHL for handing out a 4 game suspension to Rome... that was blatant cheating by the NHL hirachy...

onwards and upwards instead. Lets take it out in the Preds instead and keep the run going. 

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its now Tuesday and I've slept a few times over it, and have to somewhat agree, that I don't like VAR (video reviews).... 

It just spoils the game.... 

2 reasons 

A: the time it takes before fans can actually celebrate a goal, and

B: it is still subject to interpretation...

I was so angry on Saturday, but whats the point. 
Bad calls happen every game, so we just have to get even better...

I remember, how much I detested that sweaty pig behind the Bruins bench in 2011, because of his constant moaning and complaining about Canucks diving and antics, while Bruins was at least as bad, if not far worse. 
At the time, I felt they got an unfair amount of refereeing help, but reality was we didn't score enough goals... simples really. 

I still hate that sweaty pig and rat boy, and the NHL for handing out a 4 game suspension to Rome... that was blatant cheating by the NHL hirachy...

onwards and upwards instead. Lets take it out in the Preds instead and keep the run going. 

Good stuff Oh Oh Seven, onwards and upwards indeed.

Isn't it great to be really looking forward to every game, any news, etc?

All those great reports on the prospects, wow, man.

A win today would hold the Predators down in The Wild Card Race. 

There.  I said it.  8 games in and I got my eyes on the prize.

I don't really care how we get in the playoffs, just that we get there.

Nashville is in the #2 wild card spot in the conference.

But we are 4th overall in the conference.

A win here will put the Canucks #2 overall in the conference (ahead of Colorado and Dallas).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Who else is big enough to take abuse / screen the goalie, and has a decent shot and enough hand/eye?

I might try Soucy (6-5 208) or Cole (6-1 225).

If it works maybe put one on each PP unit.

It may be obvious that I have not ever coached a team.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Good one. 6’3” 195 lbs, has a great left handed shot. That could be an easier transition that lets Kuzy play around the net, where he’s so dangerous.

He was on PP 2 last game. Maybe switch him with Brock and let him and Kuzy speak to each other in Russian to set up plays?

PP1

Kuz

JT     Mik    EP

QH

How would you draw up the second unit with Brock and Hronek?

The 2nd unit is just gonna be whatever haha boeser suter garland 

hronek soucy/cole/myers

and hope the 1st pp scores they’ll prolly be in for close to 1:20 anyways 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

Source?

NHL announces North American partnership with FanDuel, BetMGM | NHL.com

The Mafia's Role in Sports Betting - Johan Petersson (johan-petersson.com)

and if you want proof of Bettman's kickbacks.... if it were to be found someone would be swimming with the fishes. 

hush hush money. backroom payoffs abound. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2023 at 1:50 PM, JayDangles said:

If you're OK with them calling a goal back because a player was 2" offside, but not ok calling a goal back when a player is tripped up in OT then I don't know what to say.

One is subjective, one isn't 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How is a trip subjective?

Does every referee call the same trip?  If a player steps on another players stick and goes to the ice, some refs might call a trip while others might not.  If two players get their skates tangled and one of the goes down, one ref might call a trip while another night not

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Good stuff Oh Oh Seven, onwards and upwards indeed.

Isn't it great to be really looking forward to every game, any news, etc?

All those great reports on the prospects, wow, man.

A win today would hold the Predators down in The Wild Card Race. 

There.  I said it.  8 games in and I got my eyes on the prize.

I don't really care how we get in the playoffs, just that we get there.

Nashville is in the #2 wild card spot in the conference.

But we are 4th overall in the conference.

A win here will put the Canucks #2 overall in the conference (ahead of Colorado and Dallas).

Yes I'm thrilled to bits, that we've had a great start to the season.

For all the folks wanting to not to get carries too far ahead, tough.... Life is too short to worry about, what might happen.

We've live through a lot of crap over the years, and taken it in our stride, so I'll the damned, if I'm not gonna enjoy every single game and look at the standings, while it last... 

Keep it coming I say, what will be, will be... but we're aiming for the stars 🙂

PS... forgot to mention all the great reports about our prospects.... the sky is the limit...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

Try working in social work or healthcare lol. 35% working hard to carry the other 65% driftwood 

Sounds like a classic sweeping statement.  Surprised you didn't add teachers in with that comment.

You got any numbers to back that up?

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Does every referee call the same trip?  If a player steps on another players stick and goes to the ice, some refs might call a trip while others might not.  If two players get their skates tangled and one of the goes down, one ref might call a trip while another night not

Exactly. This stuff should be pretty obvious to frequent watchers.

Who wants to have a game decided by an accidental trip 80 feet behind the play, or have a close game between juggernauts decided by a questionable 2 second hold that doesn't directly affect the play? The referees use subjective judgement to to make justified penalty calls or let infractions that don't pass a base level of infringement go. This makes the game flow and allows the NHL to produce the best games possible. This is known as the game within the game to some. As a player you have to know where the line is and the best players often often toe the line, pushing the envelope to the extreme in order to gain advantages all game long. The best referees are the ones that call the game the same from start to finish so the players know exactly what is a penalty and what isn't.

Every now and then you're going to get a call that doesn't go your way. Justified or not, it's part of sports. The game is filled by players who constantly push the limits ... someone has to make judgements, or "referee" the game, or we could just ruin it with a computer. Referees are human, sometimes they are going to make mistakes and miss a call. 

Someone earlier in the thread made a good point and it's the key to this situation. I think it was @qwijjibo. In just about all games you will have bad calls, you will have unfortunate incidents like bad ice, or a bad bounce ... say off the stanchion. At the end of the game there are usually things you could have done better if you lost. In this game the Canucks could have scored on more than 1 out of 6 power plays. They could have not made those bad plays that put them down 2 men. In the end they may have lost anyway, even with a penalty call on that play. At the end of the day it's up to you ... do you want to just simply blame the refs, or look at ways in which you could have been better and not have had to count on the refs help in the first place?

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

How is a trip subjective?

Like stawns alludes to trips are sometimes not called if they are incidental, or not directly in the play. They might also not be called if the person being tripped has been infringing on the same rule set all game long. You tend not to get calls when you frequently cheat the rules yourself. Sometimes you don't get a tripping call if you spend all game screaming at the ref in an attempt to garner penalty calls. Some players can avoid a tripping call if the referees know they are usually fair players, or their intentions were to do something other than trip the opposition player. Maybe they were just trying to gain position. Sometimes a trip will not be called even when it's obvious, and in the play but might have a major impact on the game. That one I don't always agree on if it goes against my team but sometimes it does seem like the best thing for the game. Sometimes one penalty gets let go and that directly leads to a trip shortly after that and then that trip gets let go. The situations are endless really and dependent on what unfolds in the game up to that point.

On the other hand the league has decided that "offsides" should be called to the letter every time. This is simply because it is a black and white issue and the technology to do so cleanly is readably available. I would prefer that it be given back to the refs or simply unchallengeable after 5-7 seconds or something myself. That goal in point from Bedard the other day where they spent over a minute in the zone before scoring and having it brought back should have counted imo.

This isn't directed at you in any way Bob but before people call the refs idiots, and openly mock them in situations like this maybe they should think about all the history of refereeing the game and the very real and obvious challenges in refereeing an NHL game. Not that I always agree with them but people act as if this is something that everyone here could do so very easily, like stocking shelves at a grocery store. That's laughable. Even the ability to skate with NHLers is an incredible feat, not to mention making calls in real-time while avoiding the puck and bodies that are flying around everywhere. You need to know the rulebook inside and out as well as deal with and subjectively judge situations and brash personalities of 6'4" 225 lb. thugs carrying hockey sticks. It must be an incredibly tough thing to keep all the relevant details straight in your mind at the pace the game is played.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly. This stuff should be pretty obvious to frequent watchers.

Who wants to have a game decided by an accidental trip 80 feet behind the play, or have a close game between juggernauts decided by a questionable 2 second hold that doesn't directly affect the play? The referees use subjective judgement to to make justified penalty calls or let infractions that don't pass a base level of infringement go. This makes the game flow and allows the NHL to produce the best games possible. This is known as the game within the game to some. As a player you have to know where the line is and the best players often often toe the line, pushing the envelope to the extreme in order to gain advantages all game long. The best referees are the ones that call the game the same from start to finish so the players know exactly what is a penalty and what isn't.

Every now and then you're going to get a call that doesn't go your way. Justified or not, it's part of sports. The game is filled by players who constantly push the limits ... someone has to make judgements, or "referee" the game, or we could just ruin it with a computer. Referees are human, sometimes they are going to make mistakes and miss a call. 

Someone earlier in the thread made a good point and it's the key to this situation. I think it was @qwijjibo. In just about all games you will have bad calls, you will have unfortunate incidents like bad ice, or a bad bounce ... say off the stanchion. At the end of the game there are usually things you could have done better if you lost. In this game the Canucks could have scored on more than 1 out 6 power plays. They could have not made those bad plays that put them down 2 men. In the end they may have lost anyway, even with a penalty call towards the end.

For all the whining about "game management", it's precisely the reason hockey is even watchable

I've completely stopped watching football because it's so terribly over officiated.  Hockey is pretty very officiated, but the refs still have some autonomy and room for personality, which I love.

How boring would it be if we didn't have a coach screaming at a ref in the hallway after a game to "have another doughnut you fat f***ing pig

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

For all the whining about "game management", it's precisely the reason hockey is even watchable

I've completely stopped watching football because it's so terribly over officiated.  Hockey is pretty very officiated, but the refs still have some autonomy and room for personality, which I love.

How boring would it be if we didn't have a coach screaming at a ref in the hallway after a game to "have another doughnut you fat f***ing pig

Yup, haha I think I remember that one. Don Koharski comes to mind as a good ref.

In football they have 7 umpires on the field plus who knows how many people on the headsets.

We could be like this.

1. Game starts - faceoff at center ice

2. Drop the puck ... play ensues for 30 seconds

3. Go to video and review for 5 minutes and look for penalties

4. Call all the possible penalties and play 4 on 3 or 3 on 3 hockey

5. Is the game over? If not Go to step 2. Repeat until done.

Boring.

I still watch football but I totally get what you're saying there as well. One reason it works better in football is because they spend half a minute standing around and organizing in-between plays anyways.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Sounds like a classic sweeping statement.  Surprised you didn't add teachers in with that comment.

You got any numbers to back that up?

You're completely correct (100% even)

Simply coming from personal observations in past 26 years in the fields but strictly limited to the agencies and settings in which I've worked. I'm sure others are better than this. Was just trying to illustrate extreme contrast but I can see how my statement could be disparaging to many workers. My bad

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, haha I think I remember that one. Don Koharski comes to mind as a good ref.

In football they have 7 umpires on the field plus who knows how many people on the headsets.

We could be like this.

1. Game starts - faceoff at center ice

2. Drop the puck ... play ensues for 30 seconds

3. Go to video and review for 5 minutes and look for penalties

4. Call all the possible penalties and play 4 on 3 or 3 on 3 hockey

5. Is the game over? If not Go to step 2. Repeat until done.

Boring.

I still watch football but I totally get what you're saying there as well. One reason it works better in football is because they spend half a minute standing around and organizing in-between plays anyways.

Koharski and Jim Schoenfeld