PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

Yes, that was my initial thought but I also feel that it could also apply to any point in the game that led to a goal from any immediate missed penalty that led to change of possession that lead to a goal.  If there is a change of possession that didn't lead to a goal, and a penalty was committed at this point and didn't affect the outcome and play resumed for 3 minutes without stoppage, then no coach challenge at all.  It has to be directed tied to a blown call that led to a goal directly affecting the team defense or the defending team didn't have a chance to have a line change due to this.    That was my intention of this rules of a coach challenge for anything.  No pp be awarded in this case.  The last goal  is a good example of this rule that would have worked and still have 3 on 3 OT at the neutral zone faceoff.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

6 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

They can’t get them all right, but the game needs to be called consistently. Don’t make us effing guess that you’ll put your whistles away in OT. Call it the same way, and be willing to overturn it if you get it wrong.

Id like to see coaches challenges expanded a bit to make more calls reviewable. Deciding a game in OT with a call (or non-call) is more important than regulation goals due to offsides. 

They can’t. I’ve seen blown calls but when something happens right in front of you and you don’t call it when you were clearly watching it, it is absolutely and totally suspect. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

So your answer is to have zero accountability from the refs?

No wonder hockey is not growing. Who wants to watch a sport where results is heavily influenced by the bias of the refs.

Yes, my answer is continue the game the way it's been played for over 100 years. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

Agreed. 

Kuzmenko could improve the 2nd PK, but who would QB it?

Myers was good in previous years. Soucy has 2 goals this season as well.

1st Unit

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hughes - Hronek

2nd Unit

Mikheyev - Blueger/Suter - Hoglander

Kuzmenko - Myers/Soucy

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They can’t. I’ve seen blown calls but when something happens right in front of you and you don’t call it when you were clearly watching it, it is absolutely and totally suspect. 

Or even if ref didn't see the infraction completely and somehow assumed that he committed a penalty like tripping, he didn't see the cause of a trip but he was close to him and still call it anyways, a phantom penalty.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

What I'm saying is changing what's expected from the refs won't get you the result you want. 

Hence reffing robots. Algos will screw both teams but at least you can't complain it ain't consistent or biased.

Edited by 24K
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Sorry to break it to you but the game today is not even close to that played 100 years ago.

but……..still. The refs shouldn’t have to possess any semblance of impartiality or be accountable at all when the entire crux of their position in life is to call infractions in a hockey game and ensure it’s played fairly. 

They’ve been this infallible and easily influenced for a hundred years, buddy!!!

4 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Or even if ref didn't see the infraction completely and somehow assumed that he committed a penalty like tripping, he didn't see the cause of a trip but he was close to him and still call it anyways, a phantom penalty.

If you watched the game, the ref was ten feet away watching the play. Not seeing the cause of the trip is an excuse. Pure and simple.  

• Like 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

If you watched the game, the ref was ten feet away watching the play. Not seeing the cause of the trip is an excuse. Pure and simple.  

I'm not speaking of tonight's game, the ref looked away, then turned, saw the guy on the ice and assumed with a late call as an example in the past.  

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Myers was good in previous years. Soucy has 2 goals this season as well.

1st Unit

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hughes - Hronek

2nd Unit

Mikheyev - Blueger/Suter - Hoglander

Kuzmenko - Myers/Soucy

I’m here for it. Put the call in to Tocchet.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree, that was brutal. Read the last part of my post…I want to see calls/non-calls that impact goals (especially GWG) to be eligible for video review. 

The average game has what, 4-5 goals.  Maybe that leads to 1 more video review per game. No penalty for losing a challenge if it’s a GWG? Vote on that at the next GM meeting FFS

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1