PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I’m here for it. Put the call in to Tocchet.

I agree, that was brutal. Read the last part of my post…I want to see calls/non-calls that impact goals (especially GWG) to be eligible for video review. 

The average game has what, 4-5 goals.  Maybe that leads to 1 more video review per game. No penalty for losing a challenge if it’s a GWG? Vote on that at the next GM meeting FFS

Fair point. They should have a third party that reviews calls that impact the outcome of a game. From my understanding, FIFA has an independent governing body that reviews all calls by referees and holds refs who make poor calls or miss obvious infractions to task by suspending them from service or demoting them to a lesser league. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

What I'm saying is changing what's expected from the refs won't get you the result you want. 

That's hilarious. Because what you're saying is that it's on us regardless whether the refs screw up or are biased. BS. 

Nice try. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair point. They should have a third party that reviews calls that impact the outcome of a game. From my understanding, FIFA has an independent governing body that reviews all calls by referees and holds refs who make poor calls or miss obvious infractions to task by suspending them from service or demoting them to a lesser league. 

I like the idea of an independent  body overseeing it.

The NBA allows video review for fouls, and the ref explains the decision into the camera after. It’s educational and doesn’t detract from the experience IMO

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Even if we don’t go as far as punishing refs for getting it wrong, they could reward the best (most accurate) refs by letting them pick their schedule, or give them more games, and higher pay/bonuses.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

Even if we don’t go as far as punishing refs for getting it wrong, they could reward the best (most accurate) refs by letting them pick their schedule, or give them more games, and higher pay/bonuses.

The old boys club that a stain like McLean will defend until his dying day will attempt to prevent that from every happening. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

50 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Joshua took two stupid penalties that cost two goals. Shesterkin was incredible.

Refs missed the trip on petey.

That's the game.

Joshua only had 1 penalty 

it was hronek who put the puck over the glass to create the first 5 on 3

then it was the weak too many men on the ice for the other 5 on 3 in which the rags scored then again on the immediate 5 on 4

• Cheers 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The old boys club that a stain like McLean will defend until his dying day will attempt to prevent that from every happening. 

You're probably right. And Bettman chooses what the GM’s vote on each year, and I trust him to do the right thing as far as I could throw him.

Actually, less. He’s a tiny old muppet, and I could probably toss him pretty far.

Throw Away Dirty Work GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3

Last game I applauded the refs. Tonight was an absolute disgrace. So many missed obvious calls and then they have the gall to call that cheap too many men penalty and then to not call the obvious trip when the guy literally drags his skate in the biggest arc possible...

Undeserved two points for New York. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

They kinda do with rewarding good refs playoff games. They get paid for those po games that other refs don't. Not gonna be surprised they also allow tenured or high performance refs to pick games.

Problem is, it is not transparent. We don't know how they are judged or what ref evaluation is like.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

You're probably right. And Bettman chooses what the GM’s vote on each year, and I trust him to do the right thing as far as I could throw him.

Actually, less. He’s a tiny old muppet, and I could probably toss him pretty far.

Throw Away Dirty Work GIF by MOODMAN

The Muppet Show Muppets GIFBettman and Daly. 

Just now, MikeyD said:

Refs were Michael Markovic and Jon McIsaac.

Absolute fucking bums. 

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Last game I applauded the refs. Tonight was an absolute disgrace. So many missed obvious calls and then they have the gall to call that cheap too many men penalty and then to not call the obvious trip when the guy literally drags his skate in the biggest arc possible...

Undeserved two points for New York. 

Exactly. Last game the refs were a non-factor. And rightfully so. They let the guys play and called only what needed to be. They did do a great job. Not tonight. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

Exactly. Last game the refs were a non-factor. And rightfully so. They let the guys play and called only what needed to be. They did do a great job. Not tonight. 

Funny enough it was the same refs last night.

This is clear through line that they got a phone call from Bettman and the league office.

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

They kinda do with rewarding good refs playoff games. They get paid for those po games that other refs don't. Not gonna be surprised they also allow tenured or high performance refs to pick games.

Problem is, it is not transparent. We don't know how they are judged or what ref evaluation is like.

That is the biggest issue, they reward them with playoffs, half of them undeserved.  I would rather reward them with promotion and demotions between NHL and AHL.  Good ones will stay up and bad ones will stay down or fired.   I would be open to an independent body for referee internationally to any league and any of the ref can be assigned to college hockey or AHL or NHL or even European league, by the same person.  

• Like 1

Just now, 24K said:

Funny enough it was the same refs last night.

This is clear through line that they got a phone call from Bettman and the league office.

Didn't know that. But yeah, what a joke. Hronek did cause the first 5 on 3. Fair. 

But the second 5 on 3 was lame. Petey was late, but Joshua didn't even touch the puck. 

The missed call was the icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

Haven't read PGT from the start so it may have already been said but, as much as it stings right now, I believe this is one of those wins that galvanizes good teams from top to bottom.

They know how well they played and how tilted the officiating was even prior to that final joke non-call.

We were on fire leading into tonight's game. We're gonna come out of this loss even more focused and confident.

Fear not!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2