PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

6 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Those two propped the Rangers up all game.

The only thing that I would say negative about Canucks tonight was that they were bad in the face off circle tonight and they were hesitant to shoot when grade A opportunities were there.

Otherwise they were lights out.

I would add that many of the top 6 were a little off with their passing and retrieval. I think fatigue was a factor against a fast and rested team.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'd be very happy with this performance all thinks considered. Bad refs obviously spoil the game but to hang in there, battle back each time and secure a point is massive.

My only criticism would be - why didn't we play Demko in this game and DeSmith in the St Louis game? Who knows, maybe Demmer stops that OT goal or another one here or there? Seems like we loaded up to get a definite win on the first game.

Nice goals from our defence today, even the point shot, we never saw this in the last what...3-4 years? Soucy with a bomb, Myers with an absolutely massive clutch PK steal, run and shot. He is having more good games than bad games lately and his aggressive pinches are paying off whereas in seasons past they'd burn us.

Manage your losses and we did just that, but have to get back into the winning column next game to stay serious.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, NHL Tyranny said:

I would add that many of the top 6 were a little off with their passing and retrieval. I think fatigue was a factor against a fast and rested team.

Oh, and related to the above, the PP was more stationary. I'm not dissing the Nucks, they battled admirably. 

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be very happy with this performance all thinks considered. Bad refs obviously spoil the game but to hang in there, battle back each time and secure a point is massive.

My only criticism would be - why didn't we play Demko in this game and DeSmith in the St Louis game? Who knows, maybe Demmer stops that OT goal or another one here or there? Seems like we loaded up to get a definite win on the first game.

Nice goals from our defence today, even the point shot, we never saw this in the last what...3-4 years? Soucy with a bomb, Myers with an absolutely massive clutch PK steal, run and shot. He is having more good games than bad games lately and his aggressive pinches are paying off whereas in seasons past they'd burn us.

Manage your losses and we did just that, but have to get back into the winning column next game to stay serious.

I'm not going to double guess that. I'm just glad they have a coach that doesn't play the starter on back to backs all the time like Green or Desjardins.

• Like 2

Fun game. I don't think the refs were bad, I just don't like the too many men call. I e never seen one called that tight before, yet they called it on the tail end of a double minor. We were short handed for the first half of the third. That's a good team over there so I'm glad we were able.to sneak out a point considering the circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

They can’t get them all right, but the game needs to be called consistently. Don’t make us effing guess that you’ll put your whistles away in OT. Call it the same way, and be willing to overturn it if you get it wrong.

Id like to see coaches challenges expanded a bit to make more calls reviewable. Deciding a game in OT with a call (or non-call) is more important than regulation goals due to offsides. 

Unless they move to ai refa, you'll have to.settke for human fallibility and the fact that every ref sees different things.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ref AI is a perfect solution. Assuming Gary isn't running the algorithm.

I'm a fan of ai, but not sure how'd that work........would they call every single infraction or would they weigh each call according to the flow of the game?

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

That's hilarious. Because what you're saying is that it's on us regardless whether the refs screw up or are biased. BS. 

Nice try. 

What I'm saying is buddy wants the reffs to answer publicly simply to make him feel better. To help him through his emotions when things don't go our way.

It won't actually change the outcome of the game that already happened.

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Those two propped the Rangers up all game.

The only thing that I would say negative about Canucks tonight was that they were bad in the face off circle tonight and they were hesitant to shoot when grade A opportunities were there.

Otherwise they were lights out.

The poweplay was rough. Only 1/6 and had at least 3 PPs where they didn't really set up anything.

They did have some opportunities to take control of the game and didn't cash in. 

PP has struggled the last 3 games. 

BUT this team is turning some heads and it's fun to watch

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm a fan of ai, but not sure how'd that work........would they call every single infraction or would they weigh each call according to the flow of the game?

I think initially it will be for automatic or fast reviews. In a few years, someone is going to have a website that tracks infractions in real time and the league won't be able to ignore it. 

So e.g., last night Petey getting tripped. We should have been able to challenge that and an AI tracker would give you a quick review result that the ref's can confirm. Wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to do. 

• Vintage 1

The ref ruined our game... They easily caught our Too Many Men but somehow missed the clear interference call that led to the winning goal... 

Despite all this, we also had ourselves to blame... Far too many times we didn't go direct with shots, opting to take one extra fancy move and then botch the scoring chance!! Hope Toc can fix that ASAP!!

• Thanks 1

Canucks will meet the Rangers in the SCF taking the series 4-3 with last game being officiated by the sad sack of misfits that officiated yesterday's game .... so the revenge will be doubly sweet, triple if we factor in the 1994 series.😉

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not my stats. 

Each team took 6 penalties.  Canucks took 5 but 1 was a double minor ....

Some NYR PPs were over laping hence the 2 man advantages.. 

Canucks scored 1/6

NYR scored 3/6

2 man advantages are way more likely to score then single power plays so special teams were not the problem

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think initially it will be for automatic or fast reviews. In a few years, someone is going to have a website that tracks infractions in real time and the league won't be able to ignore it. 

So e.g., last night Petey getting tripped. We should have been able to challenge that and an AI tracker would give you a quick review result that the ref's can confirm. Wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to do. 

My concern there is that there are probably 5-6 infractions that happen in the course of every shift of every game, do they call them all?  

Just now, stawns said:

My concern there is that there are probably 5-6 infractions that happen in the course of every shift of every game, do they call them all?  

nope. The problem right now is ref's "game manage" because they don't call all that stuff, but figure they have to call some. But they insert themselves into the flow of the game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

nope. The problem right now is ref's "game manage" because they don't call all that stuff, but figure they have to call some. But they insert themselves into the flow of the game.

They have to, otherwise 95% of the game would be special teams if they call every infection they see.  The game is already. Hugely over officiated.......there's nothing more boring than special teams hockey

• ThereItIs 1