PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

35 minutes ago, PAVEL_BURE10 said:

Damn, myers getting better. Probably reading these comments and thinking like damn time to actually play hockey and not just stand around like a giraffe 

Myers is playing better. Why not just leave it at that. :}

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

They have to, otherwise 95% of the game would be special teams if they call every infection they see.  The game is already. Hugely over officiated.......there's nothing more boring than special teams hockey

but again, its often to manage the game, like "even up calls" e.g. or choosing to suddenly put the whistles away. Or more subtle stuff like kicking certain guys out of a face off. 

Just don't call that small stuff. Problem solved. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

but again, its often to manage the game, like "even up calls" e.g. or choosing to suddenly put the whistles away. Or more subtle stuff like kicking certain guys out of a face off. 

Just don't call that small stuff. Problem solved. 

The game is "managed" less than it ever has, imo.  

• ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Great game.

We were 1/6 on PP

NYR 3/6

Special teams was the difference but considering we played back to back against a very strong, fast team it was a good night 

Their 3-6 included 2 lengthy 2 man adv though.  They’re really aught to be a separate stat for that.  They are not equivalent at all.

• Upvote 2

Just now, igorwasgreat said:

He took the high road, something to the effect “ it’s a tough job to be a ref, I couldn’t do it, we have the best refs in this league “ I don’t do the exchange justice, it was on “after hours” 

And he's right on all counts.  Id love to see people here try to officiate even a pee wee game.  It's a very difficult sport to officiate

Just now, stawns said:

The game is "managed" less than it ever has, imo.  

still too much of the officials personal preferences involved. How is a player supposed to know that the ref has now decided play will open up? its not like a light goes off.

I just want to see consistency and predictability for the players.

Even things like too many men. That would be an easy AI fix. Actually with game tracking tech right now that could be automated. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

They have to, otherwise 95% of the game would be special teams if they call every infection they see.  The game is already. Hugely over officiated.......there's nothing more boring than special teams hockey

Yup. Nail on head. The game loses the fast paced flow when (too many and too often) penalties are called. 5 v 5 NHL hockey, especially with the good clubs, is super fun to watch now. PP v PK hockey is like watching handball or water polo. Way too static. 
Of course refs will call penalties, if they believe they’re warranted. But it’s up to the players to play hard (but smart) too. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Id love to see people here try to officiate even a pee wee game. 

hardest part of that would be the parents.

Maybe instead of looking at AI as a ref replacement, we should be looking at it as a way to help them be more consistent. 

But this is the NHL, they will wait to be forced to adopt something like this. 

my biggest problem with the officiating is the fact that Bettman/league are in bed with the betting companys AND then they don't allow criticizing of the ones that control the game. 

The mafia( betting company ) makes a fortune if the 'right' team wins. 

cough Bettman kickbacks cough. 

my biggest problem with the officiating is the fact that Bettman/league are in bed with the betting companys AND then they don't allow criticizing of the ones that control the game. 

TSN's headline on the game sums it up perfectly:

Rangers trip Canucks in overtime thriller

• ThereItIs 1

HMMM, my summary is that the refs clearly missed that last tripping penalty.

However, the Nucks really need to work on our PP. we scored 1 goal on PP. Rangers scored 3.

Someone tell us what our PP conversion rate is for the last 2 games. There is the glaring problem in my humble opinion.

I am okay with our PK group, but the PP needs attention.

Just now, Bob Long said:

Maybe instead of looking at AI as a ref replacement, we should be looking at it as a way to help them be more consistent. 

It’s fine for fans to complain about officiating affecting game results. I’m glad our coaches and players don’t fall back on using that as an excuse. 
Was it AV who kept referring to process over results? I think our guys have become focussed on the process of playing the best they can. We keep that kind of focus and the results will good. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

TSN's headline on the game sums it up perfectly:

Rangers trip Canucks in overtime thriller

Ouch. Serious troll there by tsn.

Just now, Alflives said:

It’s fine for fans to complain about officiating affecting game results. I’m glad our coaches and players don’t fall back on using that as an excuse. 
Was it AV who kept referring to process over results? I think our guys have become focussed on the process of playing the best they can. We keep that kind of focus and the results will good. 

I think you've misunderstanding me - I just want things more predictable.

10 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

You can just tell Juice is fuming after that with his question about refs to Ron

I wish he'd ask Ron questions with a Superman.

Ron is such a flounder...he tries to pretend he likes the Canucks to be cool at times but will never really side with this team. The Burr stuff was enough to tell me all I needed to know about Ron of The Dead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Puckster said:

HMMM, my summary is that the refs clearly missed that last tripping penalty.

However, the Nucks really need to work on our PP. we scored 1 goal on PP. Rangers scored 3.

Someone tell us what our PP conversion rate is for the last 2 games. There is the glaring problem in my humble opinion.

I am okay with our PK group, but the PP needs attention.

Actually we are playing really good. PPs run hot and cold. Plus the Raggedy Andys scored on a couple 5 on 3 advantages. 
We are heading to a 105 point season. It’s going to be a good year. 

FE46EFA3-B6BB-40B5-8ADD-A2B3C97E9CF4.gif

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is true....they have to learn to win despite the refs and their antics. And they're doing that. Teams will no longer be able to steamroll through if they continue as they currently are now. They deserved better but it seemed to fuel their fire.

The reffing is atrocious...I mean, even in the JT mic'd up from the past he was directly asking "Trevor" if he was going to call a penalty. "Jailhouse rules", etc. The team's well aware of the disadvantage the refs can be...no, not only our team but consistently our team. It's a breath of fresh air when we do get a fairly reffed game that allows teams to win and lose based on their play without interference.

Games are much better when refs get it right. And sure, they have a tough job blahblahblah. Which is why they need to be held accountable and "learn" what they missed and how to not continue to get it wrong. Over time, you can't continue to use "my job is hard" and keep blowing it without having to adjust.

I feel that it would make it so much more credible if they had a brief interview with refs following the game where they could explain their decisions and lack of action. Even if they say "we missed it", that would be better than deafening silence that leaves many feeling frustrated.

• Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Pretty damn good 8 games to start the year (minus Philly). Next question is can they do this for 74 more? 

Certainly like the trends. We do need a couple of bigger skilled bodies tho to hang with the top teams. 

I want some more angry dudes. When miller went off he basically fought an entire line. Bowser and kuzy just kind of did nothing. Big or small I want someone else with some fire.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Canucks will meet the Rangers in the SCF taking the series 4-3 with last game being officiated by the sad sack of misfits that officiated yesterday's game .... so the revenge will be doubly sweet, triple if we factor in the 1994 series.😉

It might actually happen, we never know. But to get to SCF, Canucks needs to go through Vegas and/or Colorado. Dallas also not bad . I understand, it is way too early to even think about playoffs, but we allowed to dream, right? Especially after the game were out team clearly showed , that they are  real deal this season.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Officiating is by people. Hard to have consistency across so many different guys working games. 

Not if they all follow the same guidelines and don't let personal preference and team history come into play, which they tend to do. Carry over shouldn't be a thing...clean slates and each game is reffed based on what happens there. Sure, some repeat offenders may get a closer look but even that is a joke when you have Marchand's celebrated in the league.

It's piss poor and consistency in a professional league should be the standard and what's strived for....not something "impossible because". 

Anyhow, I'm glad the team is accepting that this is their fate (inconsistent incompetent refs) and don't rely on them to get it right. Sad that they have to adjust instead of the refs getting paid to do the job at a professional level having to maybe review how they're doing things. No accountability or explanation...just barrel along.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess I just don't see how you're going to get consistency when there are 80ish officials who all see things from their own perspective and call the game their way.

Players know every official, they know who calls the game which way and that's always how it's been, all the way back to minor hockey.  It's up to the players to know and adjust to every individual ref, same as they adjust to individual players.

Thats hockey 

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Not if they all follow the same guidelines and don't let personal preference and team history come into play, which they tend to do. Carry over shouldn't be a thing...clean slates and each game is reffed based on what happens there. Sure, some repeat offenders may get a closer look but even that is a joke when you have Marchand's celebrated in the league.

It's piss poor and consistency in a professional league should be the standard and what's strived for....not something "impossible because". 

I know Ferraro gets flak at times. But he had a great idea on refs and the rulebook. He said before the season starts. Get two reps from each team. And all the linesmen and refs together. And go through the rule book. If there's rules are clear, you don't review them. But the ones everyone has issues with. Discuss them. That way before the season starts they can get everyone on the same page. On what is and isn't a penalty. It's not going to stop missed calls. But at least it should provide the players and refs consistency on what the rules are.

• Upvote 1