PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

But they didn't see it...so I want them to tell me why. An obvious take down that they should've seen. They saw a slash that, even in replay, I found hard to find.

The point isn't really to hear the answers...it's to make them answer. And "I called it like I saw it" could be questioned further, as in AfterHours when it's a bit more than one generic response.

"it's a fast game"

I just don't see any benefit to raking these guys over the coals. the NHL has the best hockey officials on the planet. of course there will always be room for improvement, but they're human beings and don't have the benefit of camera angles, slow motion and instant replay.

grilling them after every game isn't going to make them any better. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Imagine having that mentality in any other job.

"Well, they're not the greatest but they're the best we've got". A good company would work with them to be better...they represent your brand.

Spot on... find a solution to the problem instead of accepting  mediocre...

VAR was brought into soccer because the refereeing was considered inconsistent.

I'm not a total fan of VAR, but certain issues should be allowed to be challenged...

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Besides, "there's no one better?" The top league in the world and this is what we should accept?

Is that a response that the NHL should offer? "Sorry, all we've got"?

Make them be better...they're getting paid at the top level so insist that they perform as such. But you know, the league's likely quite happy with the refs they put on the ice and the "agendas" (which is what "getting to know the refs hints at) they have.

When they cannot be criticized or interviewed the refs have no incentive to improve and the probably the biggest reason most new fans lose interest with confusing rules with constant inconsistent calls/non calls

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, tas said:

"it's a fast game"

I just don't see any benefit to raking these guys over the coals. the NHL has the best hockey officials on the planet. of course there will always be room for improvement, but they're human beings and don't have the benefit of camera angles, slow motion and instant replay.

Raking them over the coals? Please pal. Ease up in the hyperbole.

They’re treated like gods by the league. If any player or coach questions a call, they’re fined. Trying to paint these half-assed agents of the league as victims is embarrassing. 

The best hockey officials on the planet are those who officiate  international competition. They’re far better than their NHL counterparts. 

7 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

The too many call against us was extra spicey considering they had just let the Rags go having 7 on the ice (when Zib was cut and skating slowly back to the bench

They have a hard job. Take it easy on them, don’t ya know. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Unless they move to ai refa, you'll have to.settke for human fallibility and the fact that every ref sees different things.

My post literally started with “they can’t get them all right.”  That is accepting human fallibility.

“Putting the whistles away in OT,” is not human fallibility. It’s calling the same rules inconsistently at different parts of the game.

Opening up video reviews to more calls also accepts human fallibility, and improves consistency.

Seems like you’re in autopilot defending the refs, and didn’t take the time to read or understand my post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think initially it will be for automatic or fast reviews. In a few years, someone is going to have a website that tracks infractions in real time and the league won't be able to ignore it. 

So e.g., last night Petey getting tripped. We should have been able to challenge that and an AI tracker would give you a quick review result that the ref's can confirm. Wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to do. 

I don't think there is a hope in hell of Gary and the Pacemakers giving up the greatest fixing tool they have at hand; look how they fudge the draft lottery.

I know I wouldn't.  If it was my league, you peasants wouldn't even be allowed to have this forum!  Bad mouth the refs?  Straight to the Gulag!

Heil Bettman!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Until the puck drops and refs have a fraction of a second to decide call/not call.  

80ish officials in the league, you're never going to get even half who see things remotely the same way 

This is true, but NHL should at very least try to do something about it .

At least to show that they are concerned.

17 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

When they cannot be criticized or interviewed the refs have no incentive to improve and the probably the biggest reason most new fans lose interest with confusing rules with constant inconsistent calls/non calls

This is why the NBA approach of video reviews followed by refs explaining their revised (or original) ruling is so good.

They let us understand what they see with the same footage, and it improves our understanding of the rules.

23 minutes ago, tas said:

"it's a fast game"

Crap, biased officiating and a bullshit suspension literally cost this franchise a cup. There needs to be accountability and if the leugue refuses to do it, then the fans can complain about it all they want imho.

26 minutes ago, tas said:

"it's a fast game"

The ref is literally staring at Petey and watching him get tripped up. Either he is blind, which is probably true, or he ignored it and said fuck it, I’ll let the Rangers go down and score. 

IMG_0102.jpeg

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The ref is literally staring at Petey and watching him get tripped up. Either he is blind, which is probably true, or he ignored it and said fuck it, I’ll let the Rangers go down and score. 

IMG_0102.jpeg

Game was rigged from the beginning. All those 2 man advantages and this. No accountability for these biased refs. None. 

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Puckster said:

HMMM, my summary is that the refs clearly missed that last tripping penalty.

However, the Nucks really need to work on our PP. we scored 1 goal on PP. Rangers scored 3.

Someone tell us what our PP conversion rate is for the last 2 games. There is the glaring problem in my humble opinion.

I am okay with our PK group, but the PP needs attention.

More research required. 

Yes, they missed the tripping call which ruined the contest.

But how many 2-man advantages did each team get?

What are the expected goals for a power play versus a 2-man advantage?

Our PP is fine; very good imo.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IMG_0102.jpeg

This is the frustrating part of the game, Like in the Blues game (and many often calls in every game)

A Canuck and Blue are skating fast behind the Blues net, the Canuck has his arm out for balance and to control himself from being dumped by the Blue at high speed,

It had NO effect on affecting the play or slowing the player down, and yet was called a penalty on the Canuck.

I Hate seeing these calls made on any team and takes away from the players deciding the outcome (looks to be made to change momentum of a game- and very bush league)

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Raking them over the coals? Please pal. Ease up in the hyperbole.

They’re treated like gods by the league. If any player or coach questions a call, they’re fined. Trying to paint these half-assed agents of the league as victims is embarrassing. 

The best hockey officials on the planet are those who officiate  international competition. They’re far better than their NHL counterparts. 

They have a hard job. Take it easy on them, don’t ya know. 

Perhaps you need the tiny violin now?

Seems your hurt feelings are causing you to overlook a great game played by the guys.....pal

• Haha 1