PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

Perfect against the West, and getting that point was impressive after a back-to-back and starting their backup. Canucks deserved to win.

The non-call was brutal. The NHL should be embarrassed. Refs ruin another outcome.

Win the next one and we're all good.

• Vintage 1

The thing for me is the reffing issues continue to happen and seem to be getting worse yet these arguments - valid as they are - and they are valid - are always circular. The same things are said over and over and over, year after year after year. That doesn't really do anything, imo.

If it's just venting, that's one thing. I was pissed as anyone last night. I even said so. I get it 

I'm really more interested in actual solutions to what appears to be an ongoing problem. That's why I asked ... Is it possible for solutions to be implemented? 

I hate the thought of game management but if real solutions can't be implemented, and it's not possible to improve officiating, then there's only one side to this.

Also, how much of these issues are due to the speed of the game and human interpretation/reaction not being able to keep up? Are we reaching a ceiling where officials can't make the right calls? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

The NBA. Basketball is getting it right IMO. Hasn’t changed the physicality - the last Raptors game, a player was clotheslined on a drive, and crashed into the camera crew out of bounds. They reviewed the call, and it improved the game for me. Didn't seem to rob the game of contact/physicality.

It sounds like you’ve made up your mind, and slippery slope is a weakness in an argument, not a strength. They didn’t do video reviews in the NHL ten years ago for a reason too. And they have since improved the product. Have they made the sport any less physical? You seem to have avoided that question.

You made a good point about how far back to review a call/non-call. Alf made a great suggestion about reviewing calls or non-calls in OT only. 

If you’re suggesting that would degrade the physicality of the sport, than I’ll just agree to disagree.

Basketball is not hockey.  You cannot expect similar approaches to resolve similar problems.  What NBA, or NFL, etc. is irrelevant to the game of hockey

Yes, they do video reviews for offsides and goalie interference, sure.  Not for potentially missed calls everywhere.  Missed calls in general are simply part of the game itself because of how the game is played!

You can handwave by calling it a slippery slope all you want. Opening this can of worms calls into question the entire game of hockey.

They aren't doing reviews like this for a reason already and I don't suspect they ever will.

Yes.

Agree to disagree.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

You dodged the question there. How many do you see each game now, and how much time is it adding to the games?

I can remember one challenge in 8 Canucks games so far this season (goalie interference against Garland in Philly). How long did that take? 2 minutes max? So an average 15 sec per game?

To answer your question, I’d like to see them expand it for any call or non-call that results in a goal. 

Coaches get 1 per game. If they lose, a penalty, and no more challenges. If they win the challenge, they preserve the right to challenge again. This has been effective so far at limiting superfluous challenges.

If it’s a GWG it should be open to review regardless of if you have a challenge left. 

The problem I see with this is that the coach would be challenging a non-call penalty.  That doesn't happen, even in the NFL.  You can't really stop a game to challenge if a ref should have called a penalty or not.  Goalie interference, offside, if the puck went into the net or not.  These are things that you can review after the play is dead.  Bedard had a goal called back this year because of an offside that happened 30 seconds before he scored.  They reviewed the play after the fact.

Not sure how you would be able to review a non-call penalty after the play is dead and the other team scored.  Who would be in charge of determining if it was actually a penalty?  Penalties are mostly subjective.  Some are called while others are not.  On offside is not subjective.  Neither is the puck crossing the red line.  Goalie interference is somewhat subjective, but they have rules for it and they follow those rules to determine if it was goalie interference or not.  How would they determine if Petey was actually tripped up or not?  It's up to the ref to call it.  The ref wouldn't change their mind if it was reviewed.  Unless it was overturned by upstairs.  But again, who would be overturning it and how would they determine how to overturn a subjective ruling?

• Vintage 1

Anyhow, the team has adopted the "keep our feet out of our mouths" theme and it's the right thing for them to do. To not be distracted by the piss poor reffing and to learn to win despite it. Sad that it's something they have to adjust to but "it is what it is". But we know that if they speak out, it gets worse not better. Which speaks volumes in itself. 

Doesn't mean, as fans, we have to keep quiet or love what we see. Some of us don't. All the rationale explaining "why" just furthers that for me. Shouldn't need footnotes to explain calls and non calls. Should be obvious.

Yes, refs are human and miss things. But there are more than one of them out there and they DO huddle/discuss things. Maybe do that if a guy gets taken down in a critical point in a game. Make sure. Don't just wing it.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

still too much of the officials personal preferences involved. How is a player supposed to know that the ref has now decided play will open up? its not like a light goes off.

I just want to see consistency and predictability for the players.

Even things like too many men. That would be an easy AI fix. Actually with game tracking tech right now that could be automated. 

The first thing that needs to be automated is offsides. That is the most straightforward and black and white situation. 

No more complaints of being offside for a goal or the long review process. 

Downside is linesman are gonna be out of a job.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

They aren't doing reviews like this for a reason already and I don't suspect they ever will.

Can you tell me the reason?

Just now, 24K said:

The first thing that needs to be automated is offsides. That is the most straightforward and black and white situation. 

Right? With all the technology and automation we have these days, this is a no brainer.

But yes...they'd be out of a job and harder to slant games too.

Busy with chores today and no time to look back through the the thread to see if it's been mentioned. What would allowing each team one orange challenge flag per game for a non call, or reviiew of a call? Just one per game. It wouldn't slow the game down much and make a big difference in some cases. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Also, how much of these issues are due to the speed of the game and human interpretation/reaction not being able to keep up?

There it is.

That's the game itself! Just think if we follow the logic through. Anything you do just playing the game could be under the microscope and overturn goals. A battle in the corner. Guys are fighting it out.   They overturn it because one got unfair advantage in body position, maybe a little hold here or there... players crashing into eachother...

What wouldn't be on the table to be scrutinized?

A review system which calls into question missed calls everywhere calls into question the integrity of the game itself.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Completely agree.

1. It’s a small change compared to reviewing all calls that lead to goals (admittedly better than what I suggested. Great call @Alflives)

2. It overcomes the challenge that @Canuckle raised about how far you go back (just go back to the last change in possession before the goal).

3. It wouldn’t add significant time to games (few games go to OT, and fewer have contentious calls/non-calls in the GWG). Looking at you, @stawns

4. It would have added integrity (win or lose) to the outcome of last nights game, educated fans, and helped them, appreciate the nuances of reffing.

5. I would have happily accepted the loss if they showed the available footage, and explained it was Petey’s dangle that initiated the contact (thanks @4petesake for sharing that view).

Problem solved. Who says no?

I don't see the point of making refs, who are already vilified, face even more public scrutiny.  I seriously doubt their union would accept it either 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

Offside should be automated imo.

It's going to happen. It's only a matter of time. 

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

They do this with soccer.  Offsides and if the ball crossed the goal line are all automated with technology.  It doesn't take long to review this.  Another great example is tennis.  They have the technology to see the ball right away if it is in or out.  Players can't do anything now.  I remember when John McEnroe used to flip chairs and scream at the officials for balls being out or in.  Now it's reviewed in a matter of seconds.

Tyey should have the same technology for hockey and they can show it on the jumbotron right away for everyone to see...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Offside should be automated imo.

It's going to happen. It's only a matter of time. 

That, I think might be doable at some point

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They do this with soccer.  Offsides and if the ball crossed the goal line are all automated with technology.  It doesn't take long to review this.  Another great example is tennis.  They have the technology to see the ball right away if it is in or out.  Players can't do anything now.  I remember when John McEnroe used to flip chairs and scream at the officials for balls being out or in.  Now it's reviewed in a matter of seconds.

Tyey should have the same technology for hockey and they can show it on the jumbotron right away for everyone to see...

Pucks over the goal line too

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Late to the party (as usual :classic_wink:) and I'm not going to read through the thread, so apologies if I'm just repeating what has already been said....

I'm going with the "glass half full" opinion after this one.

Yes, I think the zebras missed the call on the takedown of Petey, but this is the NHL and we all know how reluctant referees are to cal penalties in OT. If I had to bet on it, I'd wager they wish they had made the call, after they saw the result, but as Rickey says, "it's all water under the fridge"....

Bottom line: The Canucks had several excellent chances and pretty much dominated OT. Iggy was just too good last night.

The good news is, they got a point out of a game where they trailed late. They got it against a top tier opponent and they did so with their backup goalie. Another plus is the extra point the Rags got doesn't really hurt the 'Nucks in the standings. Yes, the extra point would have been nice to get, but there's no guarantee it would have happened, had they gone to a shootout. The way Shesterkin was playing, it would have been tough....

I'll take the point....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

For off sides,

players could have sensors in skate blades, one it puck and at each blue line to monitor entry that would not require  10 min reviews and keep flow to the game

That could send a ping to a linesman ear to aid and  confirm to what he saw right away

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think he is saying ONLY in OT, and only if it directly led to a gwg

Doesn't matter when it is. If we're talking about a game like hockey being called 100% to the rule book, the game would be dead as we know it. Hockey comes packaged with subjectively missed calls in damn near every facet of the game and would call into question the entire intregity of the game itself.

I think Pettersson was tripped, too. But some things in this sport aren't reviewable for good reason.

Edited by Canuckle

12 minutes ago, 24K said:

This needs to be done ASAP. 

The league has started scrutinizing offsides so much and most of the times these offsides aren't even detectable by the human eye. So no human linesman won't be able to get the job done as evidenced by the amount of goals called back already.  

7 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

There it is.

That's the game itself! Just think if we follow the logic through. Anything you do just playing the game could be under the microscope and overturn goals. A battle in the corner. Guys are fighting it out.   They overturn it because one got unfair advantage in body position, maybe a little hold here or there... players crashing into eachother...

What wouldn't be on the table to be scrutinized?

A review system which calls into question missed calls everywhere calls into question the integrity of the game itself.

Don't really think it calls into question the integrity of the game itself... Refs are humans too... and humans makes mistakes. We all do... its part and parcel of life.

The big problem now a day is the incredible focus of the decisions being made with 20 camera angles, slo-mo etc... And to be fair on the refs, they may actually need a bit of a helping hand....

I actually agree with Stawns, that too much stoppage of the game ruins it, as hockey sells as being a fast game. I'm sure we could live with the mistakes being done during the game, provided it doesn't get too one sided, but at least at sudden death time (the correct decisions have to be made, if possible)....

It should be allowed to challenge the game winning goal, if there is any issues... Could go with the notion, that a lost challenge means starting the following game down 1-0? or something in that line... maybe lose the 1 point gained, and go away with nothing if the challenge is lost.

• Cheers 1