PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

17 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Very true... in OT a third of the players are removed, so it should be a lot easier to keep an eye proceedings...

And I am not arguing that Spook....I get that, but, at the end of the day, the ref either thought it was not enough, missed it, or it evened something else...........

Game management is a real thing.......

Edited by JIAHN
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Have you ever officiated a hockey game?

So we can't challenge something unless we've reffed an NHL game?

Have you?

I know an NHL ref and they're not above scrutiny. No matter how tough the job is, the expectation is that you do it well. I'm not sure it's being done well overall.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I know Ferraro gets flak at times. But he had a great idea on refs and the rulebook. He said before the season starts. Get two reps from each team. And all the linesmen and refs together. And go through the rule book. If there's rules are clear, you don't review them. But the ones everyone has issues with. Discuss them. That way before the season starts they can get everyone on the same page. On what is and isn't a penalty. It's not going to stop missed calls. But at least it should provide the players and refs consistency on what the rules are.

Right on. 

And they should all have to pass a final exam too.

SUPER DOUBLE SECRET PROFESSIONAL PROBATIONAL REFEREE FINAL EXAMINATION

Your name:_________________________________

Q: Is Ron MacLean a professional referee instructor who plays a great air guitar?

Your A:___________________

Q: Do you like Ron MacLean?

Q: Does Ron MacLean speak for everybody when he corrects on-the-ice Burrows about what the on-the-ice referee said?

Q: Is there a tape recording of the on-the-ice referee warning on-the-ice Burrows that he was going to get him?

Q: Is Ron MacLean your instructor for this course?

Q: Does this gown make me Ron MacLean look fat?

Good Luck.  No cheating.  I'll be watching you or your ..

And remember, I can hear things that were not said and not hear things that were.

Because I am a professional referee. 

Enter Ronzo's thought balloon comments here:_____________________________________________

image.thumb.png.965f4655a2ca037e2cb0b9f6ce9fc4af.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

OK fair. I get it.

But what good reason is there not to review an infraction that was clearly missed that resulted in a a game ending goal in OT?

I'm all for changing nothing at all during the 60 minutes. 

Only in OT and only if the game ends immediately after.

OT reviews certainly wouldn’t call the entire game of hockey into question for those 60 minutes of regulation.

It adds one (very infrequent) play to be eligible for reviews. 

Just can’t see the logic in that argument.

• Vintage 1

@-dlc-

I am not saying the non call is justified............just that there are human factors involved

That world best Ref, is just that......"World Best"

Maybe Pettersson falls to much..................bias is a real thing!

But you are right..............I should watch the play

But I would still not know what was going through the refs mind..............maybe absolutely nothing

Maybe the call from his wife, asking for him to bring home eggs, when he comes! 😲

Edited by JIAHN
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

But I would still not know what was going through the refs mind..............maybe absolutely nothing

We shouldn't have to care though...that's for psychologists.

I just want them to focus and it's their eyes that should be making the calls. Use their minds once the play's whistled down and they can confer with others. Don't just let it go because "the game's too fast" to keep up with.

Anyhow, too much time spent on something that can't be changed. I'm proud of how the team battled through it, despite the refs helping decide the outcome.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

They review non-calls on offsides that overturn goals. How would this be different?

The offside is objective.  You can review the film to determine if it was offside or not.  They have even better technology for this in soccer.  With a penalty, it is subjective.  Who is going to determine if it was an actual penalty or not?  Toronto?  What if the ref sees the play over again and says the player didn't stick out his leg on purpose.  So it wasn't a trip on Petey.  

At the end of the day, there are penalties probably every minute of the game in hockey.  In the NFL, you can call holding on every play.  Not even in the NFL can a coach challenge a non-call penalty for holding or interference.  It's too subjective...

• Cheers 1

Also, all this talk of the refs having it tough, too much to watch, play moves fast.

Their eyes should be on the guy with the puck and, in 3 on 3 OT, it's a bit easier as there's not so many bodies out there. It's not like this happened away from the play...it WAS the play.

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Yep, it's the way it has to be. Suck it up and work through it as best you can. Prepare for it.

Expect the worst and be happy if you get something better. Which isn't really ideal or satisfactory.

There's only SO much control the refs can have over a game...and this team is learning to play beyond the shitty calls and non calls. That's the key here...the refs get to slink away and that's not changing. I'm super happy with this team and how they're responding to the gong show.

Tocchet is right on with this.  We have to establish a good professional relationship with the referees and the league. 

JR is leading the way to a future where we have some power at the Board of Governors, with Bettman et al, and where we get respect and start getting at least a fair share of the benefits.

No wallowing in the (rotten) past.

To the future!  All aboard?

image.png.081a09be6a26e10b5d9bab5dbdf21be8.png

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Goal_thecup said:

Tocchet is right on with this.  We have to establish a good professional relationship with the referees and the league. 

JR is leading the way to a future where we have some power at the Board of Governors, with Bettman et al, and where we get respect and start getting at least a fair share of the benefits.

No wallowing in the (rotten) past.

To the future!  All aboard?

image.png.081a09be6a26e10b5d9bab5dbdf21be8.png

It's just sad that you have to play this game.

Ass kissing stuff...I don't like it.

It should be based on the play on the ice, not on who's "in" with the refs/league. That ol' boys club stuff that dinosaurs ruled the earth with.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

And I am not arguing that Spook....I get that, but, at the end of the day, the ref either thought it was not enough, missed it, or it evened something else...........

Game management is a real thing.......

My guess is they thought it wasn't enough.

However, in a game that they thought issuing two 5 on 3 pp's was warranted, they really were setting a tone there. Then...crickets.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

My guess is they thought it wasn't enough.

However, in a game that they thought issuing two 5 on 3 pp's was warranted, they really were setting a tone there. Then...crickets.

Frustrating for sure.....sorry I missed the game!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TheGuardian said:

See this is an issue, I see Pettersson trying to do a fancy between the legs pass splitting his legs apart INTO Krieder's path. EP's leg moved more towards Krieder than Krieder's moved towards him.

With AI tho you would be able to build an accurate model over time. Or if some plays are just too hard to model, that's where human ref's come in.

• Cheers 2

I was just looking at the box score again. The thing about last night was that we were really overcoming the reffing - I mean, working harder despite the refs. Just look at Myers short-handed goal, then the penalties came, and then Soucy put us back in it.

We were clawing back despite the refs and that's what it needs to be ... unfortunately. We have to take the refs out with our play. We've all experienced this before.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

Unfortunately BB never goes in to aid his teammates and that part of his game bugs me the most, those are the guys who set him up

Needs passion, desire  and caring for his teammates more than just goals to elevate the team- you can't carry too many of these types of players on your team

Why does this smell a bit like Da Beauty League?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's just sad that you have to play this game.

Ass kissing stuff...I don't like it.

It should be based on the play on the ice, not on who's "in" with the refs/league. That ol' boys club stuff that dinosaurs ruled the earth with.

Yeah.  I tire of fighting the power.  I want to be the power.

I want our team to get the breaks and Win The Stanley Cup!

(I can hear my mom, who's still yell'n' at the refs at 94 years old: "I want never gets.")

Edited by Goal_thecup
Clarification between 1994 and 94 years old.
  • Like 1