PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Don't you notice that lots of minor infractions go uncalled unless they negate a scoring chance or create a scoring chance? Especially when they put the whistles away in the playoffs.

I was asking someone a direct question and am waiting for the response to that (but I'll get back to this).  

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Don't you notice that lots of minor infractions go uncalled unless they negate a scoring chance or create a scoring chance? Especially when they put the whistles away in the playoffs.

Actually, I'll deal with this now too.

It did both. That trip likely negated at least a potential scoring chance and did lead directly to one.

31 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You've written a wall of text but have failed to answer a simple, direct question. 

So again: what trips aren't infractions?  You've completely avoided answering that.

I answered it... with great detail, in fact. It was in that giant wall of text I posted there.

The answer is and will always remain: it depends because hockey is a game played in the grey.

Just now, Canuckle said:

I answered it... with great detail, in fact. It was in that giant wall of text I posted there.

The answer is and will always remain: it depends because hockey is a game played in the grey.

You didn't but it's ok. That answers it for me (the fact that you couldn't).

You generalized a bunch of other stuff but it did not answer the question.

Over it, have a great night.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Well you should read my post again if that's your takeaway.  I answered it for trips, holds, stick holding cross, cross checks and even cup checks! Lol

And i will clarify. When I say not all actions prohibited in the rule book are infractions I mean worthy of an actual penalty.

Edited by Canuckle

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

I have been thinking about this discussion all day............

The thing is............

I love my team, and I hate the other teams

But I love talent in general

But we are playing hockey, if no mistakes happen, it's zero - zero and no one gets past center

I hate when the other team, scores, throws an elbow, trips, fights, cross checks, etc

But if we take that out of the game, by making reffing so good (aka AI)

We take the emotion out of it...............that is boring

IMO, I think everyone on these boards, would love to watch @-dlc- watch a game

In a terrible reffed game against the Canucks.......

You may not be able to take your children, but LOL, it would be worth the game cost

My point is not to pick on Deb, but to illustrate the emotion in the game

and what it draws out in, what would be normally a well adjusted, mature person

I love it, and I guess, I would rather have that, and have a less clinical game

than to watch a vanilla game, which is refed to the point of boredom

So, in saying that, Go ahead bitch, complain, scream, and shout

Voice your opinion, like we are experts.....

and get ready for the next game to do it all over again! LOL

Love it!

Words of wisdom Jan, well said.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Words of wisdom Jan, well said.

Disagree. That kind of glosses over any constructive ideas to improve reffing consistency in this thread. Dismissing constructive conversation as complaining about the call is reductive and a bit lazy.

29 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You can’t have a conversation with someone who’s proud of repeating the same statement, and avoids questions that poke holes in it. You’ve been more than patient Deb.

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

Well you should read my post again if that's your takeaway.  I answered it for trips, holds, stick holding cross, cross checks and even cup checks! Lol

And i will clarify. When I say not all actions prohibited in the rule book are infractions I mean worthy of an actual penalty.

Where did you specify what trips aren't infractions? I only am interested in that part and can't seem to see it. I see smoke and mirrors and a lot of extra stuff thrown in but no real answer.

But it's ok, don't worry about it. Trips are infractions and there aren't many instances where they're overlooked. 

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

I was listening on 650 AM radio, only source, I've since watched most of it. What an insane finish from the 30 mark of the third, on. Difficult to get over. Yikes!

It was a great game (maybe better than the opener?). Glad you got to record it.

Just now, -dlc- said:

I wasn't at the game so I missed this part:

397550756_10160610486305549_681029102966

what was this? That looks funny!

32 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

So when would a trip not be worthy of a penalty? I'm curious.

12 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Disagree. That kind of glosses over any constructive ideas to improve reffing consistency in this thread. Dismissing constructive conversation as complaining about the call is reductive and a bit lazy.

You can’t have a conversation with someone who’s proud of repeating the same statement, and avoids questions that poke holes in it. You’ve been more than patient Deb.

To each his own I guess. These inconsistencies occur in games which the Canucks are not involved as well.

I am not advocating the lack of consistency but I have surrendered to the fact that it will happen. It’s human nature to make mistakes and learning and adjusting towards correction is an ongoing (and perhaps, never ending) process.

I think Jan’s point was alluding to that notion, not belittling it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

To each his own I guess. These inconsistencies occur in games which the Canucks are not involved as well.

I am not advocating the lack of consistency but I have surrendered to the fact that it will happen. It’s human nature to make mistakes and learning and adjusting towards correction is an ongoing (and perhaps, never ending) process.

I think Jan’s point was alluding to that notion, not belittling it.

Yeah, but there’s been a fairly complete conversation in this thread covering all the points you just made (human fallibility, unproductive circular arguments about reffing, accepting they even out, accepting bad calls, etc.) AND a few constructive  suggestions on how to expand video reviews, citing data from last season, and estimating the impact on the game, what would be reviewable, how to disincentivize abuse, etc.

So when you come into a conversation partway through, (admitting you didn’t see the game) then generalize that people need to bitch/complain and then move on, it’s pretty dismissive and uninformed take. 

I’ve made this mistake before, not realizing all the context in a conversation, before chiming in with a strong opinion. May be unavoidable given this format. We all check in at different times, and many posters admit they haven’t (or won’t) read the relevant posts in the thread before chiming in. 

Edited by Huggy Bear

19 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Yeah, but there’s been a fairly complete conversation in this thread covering all the points you just made (human fallibility, unproductive circular arguments about reffing, accepting they even out, accepting bad calls, etc.) AND a few constructive  suggestions on how to expand video reviews, citing data from last season, and estimating the impact on the game, what would be reviewable, how to disincentivize abuse, etc.

So when you come into a conversation partway - nope I read the whole thread - through, (admitting you didn’t see the game - I did not say that in my post, I have watched every game this season, you might see my handle in Goalies predict the score thread, in the first column I might add. I have watched this team since the 70s - on tv back then when scarcely available, and in person many times - ) then generalize that people need to bitch/complain and then move on, it’s pretty dismissive and uninformed take. That was a generalization on human nature more so than the current state of reffing.

I’ve made this mistake before, not realizing all the context in a conversation, before chiming in with a strong opinion. - I don’t considered my statements bold, and as a matter of fact you called Jan’s opinion dismissive -May be unavoidable given this format. We all check in at different times, and many posters admit they haven’t (or won’t) read the relevant posts in the thread before chiming in. - See bolded above

I agree with a lot of the ideas and arguments presented.  And as I mentioned in my post, I have just accepted it for what it is. Please see my bolded responses in you original post above.

you don’t agree and that’s just fine. No need to make assumptions

Edited by Captkirk888
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

I agree with a lot of the ideas and arguments presented.  And as I mentioned in my post, I have just accepted it for what it is.

you don’t agree and that’s just fine. No need to make assumptions

My friend, I was referring to Jan’s post, not making assumptions about your take. 

I quoted your post that JIAHN’s post were words of wisdom. I disagreed with that. They admitted they didn’t see the game awhile ago, and Deb suggested they go watch it before weighing in. 

So when I said “when you come in to the thread half way through” I was referring to them, not you. It’s why I disagreed they were words of wisdom.

I’m not offended or anything, and I’m a fan of JIAHN. Just thought is was a shit take given the conversation.

I read what you said about accepting the game, and can relate, I’m not assuming anything about you. Apologies for the confusion. 

Edited by Huggy Bear
Expanded
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Huggy Bear said:

My friend, I was referring to Jan’s post, not making assumptions about your take. 

I quoted your post that JIAHN’s post were words of wisdom. I disagreed with that. They admitted they didn’t see the game awhile ago, and Deb suggested they go watch it before weighing in. 

I read what you said about accepting the game, and can relate, I’m not assuming anything about you. Apologies for the confusion. 

No problem. The way it was worded I assumed (lol) that it was directed at me.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Rogers swapping the Stella tap for MichelobUltra is the worst trade the Canucks have made this year

Why?  They're both thin and kinda Draisaitl-ish (pissy).

French* pee or American pee, hmm I wonder which one I won't have.

Why not, not have, both!?!  And paying such a premium?  Start the car, I'm outta here.

*I know its Belgian; but they speak French so, painted with the same brush. 

24 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

So when would a trip not be worthy of a penalty? I'm curious.

I already provided the example of a puck battle with a group in the corner where illegal acts knowingly happen and go uncalled. Trips and everything else. I think that explains the larger context being discussed here?

Hmm... I feel like you're looking for this cut and dry, black and white answer and you really aren't going to get it. So so many things are context dependant on a given play in a given situation, and while some prohibited act may be listed in the good book, it doesn't neccessarily mean it's going to get called, whether intentionally or unintentionally. And frankly nor should it.

1 minute ago, Captkirk888 said:

No problem. The way it was worded I assumed (lol) that it was directed at me.

I could have worded it better. Long day. 

FWIW - I recognize you, and know you’re a regular. Appreciate your posts, and respect your opinion on JIAHN’s wisdom (even if I disagree).

You're both great members with quality posts.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1