PGT - Canucks-3: NYRefs-4: Shit happens.

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Getting a point in this one, on a back to back with the backup in net vs a top team… pretty impressive.

but the best part is their overall play coming together a few games in a row now.  A disappointing loss should keep them focused and hungry for Halloween vs the Preds.

Oh.. and love the Myers and Soucy bounce back.  Knew they were better than they looked for awhile there.

Great take as usual Duke. Both Soucy and Myers looked solid vs a good team tonight. Curious how many minutes they played. I love how consistently Soucy gets his shots on net. His offence is underrated and has room to grow.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Really looking forward to getting Bluger in for Beau.

Yep. Was thinking we could have used him on those 5 on 3s. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

Keeping it behind close doors make it work less. We need transparency. No better way to do it than to mandate post game interviews with the refs!

We won't get that until way more teams make a fuss in the public.

In reality, if reffs were held accountable and forced into the public spotlight, there would be no reffs. 

Their job is impossibly hard and they're disliked or hated by everyone at some point.

They absolutely blew that call. Trust me they know it. Admitting it in public doesn't change a damn thing except make people feel better, and that's not the reffs job.

It happens in every sport at every level. 

All we can hope is that the boys can see past it and realize they played an amazing game and it's once again something to build off, and not feed the negativity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

In reality, if reffs were held accountable and forced into the public spotlight, there would be no reffs. 

Their job is impossibly hard and they're disliked or hated by everyone at some point.

They absolutely blew that call. Trust me they know it. Admitting it in public doesn't change a damn thing except make people feel better, and that's not the reffs job.

It happens in every sport at every level. 

All we can hope is that the boys can see past it and realize they played an amazing game and it's once again something to build off, and not feed the negativity.

Wrong. Holding refs accountable is a perfectly reasonable request to make. Refs wouldn’t all of sudden stop reffing because they’re criticized. Those that do would be replaced. 

Yes it is a hard job. But when they fuck up the easy stuff horribly, there is no excuse. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I agree with you.  I hope that the ownership group around the league get together and find a way to hold ref accountable.  The official department should not be the one who get to decide.   Would be nice if each team get its own choice of refereeing that they BOTH agree, for example, playoff series or the finals, not the league.  If players can be sent down to minors, then so should the ref based on their performance and you'll see the ref shape up fast if they want to keep their job at the top.  Some refs get too comfortable in that they can get away with it.  

Another thought, a coach challenge for any missed call that led to a goal.  If they could challenge goaltender interference, then so should they get a challenge on any missed trip and goals being called back, no penalty but faceoff in neutral zone.  It is sort of an interference coming back.

That might be too much to review all goals that might have happened from a blown call. I would definitely be for it if it limits to OT goals as that ends the game. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Again, we can complain all we want about refs, but they are, literally, the best in the world.  Hockey is a tough sport to officiate 

Ok...but the trip was in front of the ref and dictated the result of the game....it is a tough job... what's done is done...moving on.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wrong. Holding refs accountable is a perfectly reasonable request to make. Refs wouldn’t all of sudden stop reffing because they’re criticized. Those that do would be replaced. 

Yes it is a hard job. But when they fuck up the easy stuff horribly, there is no excuse. 

Again, we can complain all we want about refs, but they are, literally, the best in the world.  Hockey is a tough sport to officiate 

I for one can't wait for reffing robots.

Heck I might be frustrated enough to create a startup around it.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not wrong. Reffs take enough shit from people as it is. If they had to do a media scrum after a game trust me they would just walk, and that would trickle all the way down to beer league hockey. 

Hard enough to find refs nowadays, just accept they fuck up sometimes and move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They can’t get them all right, but the game needs to be called consistently. Don’t make us effing guess that you’ll put your whistles away in OT. Call it the same way, and be willing to overturn it if you get it wrong.

Id like to see coaches challenges expanded a bit to make more calls reviewable. Deciding a game in OT with a call (or non-call) is more important than regulation goals due to offsides. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, JayDangles said:

Not wrong. Reffs take enough shit from people as it is. If they had to do a media scrum after a game trust me they would just walk, and that would trickle all the way down to beer league hockey. 

Hard enough to find refs nowadays, just accept they fuck up sometimes and move on. 

So your answer is to have zero accountability from the refs?

No wonder hockey is not growing. Who wants to watch a sport where results is heavily influenced by the bias of the refs.

Just now, 24K said:

That might be too much to review all goals that might have happened from a blown call. I would definitely be for it if it limits to OT goals as that ends the game. 

Yes, that was my initial thought but I also feel that it could also apply to any point in the game that led to a goal from any immediate missed penalty that led to change of possession that lead to a goal.  If there is a change of possession that didn't lead to a goal, and a penalty was committed at this point and didn't affect the outcome and play resumed for 3 minutes without stoppage, then no coach challenge at all.  It has to be directed tied to a blown call that led to a goal directly affecting the team defense or the defending team didn't have a chance to have a line change due to this.    That was my intention of this rules of a coach challenge for anything.  No pp be awarded in this case.  The last goal  is a good example of this rule that would have worked and still have 3 on 3 OT at the neutral zone faceoff.

• Upvote 1

And these things tend to even out over a season. I'm pretty sure Canucks fans aren't the only ones who think they get screwed over by the refs more often than not.

Having said all that, refs almost ALWAYS call a penalty when a player gets tripped up or interfered with and it leads directly to an odd man rush. To not call it in overtime is pretty egregious. The problem is, it's a split second decision and I bet the refs wish they'd called a penalty as soon as they realized how good a scoring chance it resulted in, but by then, it's too late. C'est la vie. I'm too old to get worked up by small transgressions. Now if these bastards miss this call in the Stanley Cup Finals... I'll get worked up! :classic_angry:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2