[UPDATE] Man arrested under suspicion of manslaughter (RIP - Adam Johnson passes away following horrific skate injury)

Miss Korea

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That was a double tap with the skate.  It was 100% intentional.  Police are investigating.  Let's see if they do the right thing and charge this guy.

With the Malarchuk injury, his jugular was severed.  Fortunately, the Sabres' trainer at the time was once a Vietnam combat medic and knew enough to, and how to properly, pinch off the jugular to stop the bleeding.  Malarchuk developed a years-long drinking problem and has PTSD about that incident to this day.

With Johnson, all his teammate did was apply pressure to a severed jugular while leaving the ice.  That just help delay his death by a minute or two.

If you watch the slow motion video of the incident, it's actually pretty obvious he did it intentionally.  If you watch it in normal speed, it looks like Petgrave loses his balance after he hits the guy in front of him.  However, if you watch it in slow motion, you can see that there is almost no contact with the player in front of him, and Petgrave actually prepares his leg for the kick, kinda like when you are about to side kick a punching bag.  He pushes the leg a bit to the right to get some momentum, he then pushes off the guy in front of him (he doesn't actually hit him), and then lifts his left leg up and hits Johnson with his skate flush on the neck, then he quickly takes a short second swing with the skate before he falls down.

This is fucking incredible.  I've never seen anything like it and I've been watching hockey since Gretzky entered the NHL...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Someone slowed the video down.  It looks like Matt Petgrave didn't even hit the other player in front of him, so he never really lost his balance.  He simply moved to Johnson, raised his left leg in a swinging motion, and then took a kung-fu kick to his neck.  He even took a second swing with the skate before he fell down.  Watching it in slow motion, it actually looks INTENTIONAL.  

Wow, this is going to get ugly.  I wonder if anyone has the tape to the game to see what preceded this and what the interaction was between the two players.  

Only Matt knows what he was thinking and if he was intentionally trying to injure I have no sympathy for what his life is about to become. On the other hand, if it truly was an accident then I feel for him. Either way, prayers for Adams friends and family.

• Cheers 3

Upon further review, he actually left his feet before he delivered the kick.  His right foot was also off of the ice and in the air.  Which explains how he was able to get his left leg so high to reach Johnson's neck.  There is no way he could have gotten his left leg that high if his right foot was still on the ice.  Wow...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you watch the slow motion video of the incident, it's actually pretty obvious he did it intentionally. 

I did.  It's on Twitter in slow-mo.

Anybody who has so much as played beer league hockey would tell you that you don't fall that way with almost no contact.

What clinched it for me was the 2nd kick with his leg.  That's proof positive that it was intentional.

He may not have meant to kill him, but he wanted to slow him down and get him out of the play.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Only Matt knows what he was thinking and if he was intentionally trying to injure I have no sympathy for what his life is about to become. On the other hand, if it truly was an accident then I feel for him. Either way, prayers for Adams friends and family.

He was trying to slow him down.  Likely going for a kick to the chest.  It was an accident only that it went to his neck.  The 2nd kick proves intention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I did.  It's on Twitter in slow-mo.

Anybody who has so much as played beer league hockey would tell you that you don't fall that way with almost no contact.

What clinched it for me was the 2nd kick with his leg.  That's proof positive that it was intentional.

He may not have meant to kill him, but he wanted to slow him down and get him out of the play.

Yup, the second kick did it for me too.  And the fact that he left his feet to get his leg as high as possible.  The first kick could be explained as involuntary, even accidental, but the SECOND kick while still in the air is 100% intentional.  There is no other explanation for the second kick...

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup, the second kick did it for me too.  And the fact that he left his feet to get his leg as high as possible.  The first kick could be explained as involuntary, even accidental, but the SECOND kick while still in the air is 100% intentional.  There is no other explanation for the second kick...

I get that he was going for a chest kick, but he knows that his clip-ons are as sharp as razor blades.  The reason to charge this guy with manslaughter is that it would send a message to the hockey world that skates are not to be used on other players. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He was trying to slow him down.  Likely going for a kick to the chest.  It was an accident only that it went to his neck.  The 2nd kick proves intention.

Like that is not even a hockey play.  So, what the fuck was he thinking?  How many times have you seen a hockey player try to slow another player down by side kicking them?  

I would love to know if there is video of that game.  What was the interaction between the two players.  Something must have led up to that incident.  Even McSorley had issues with Brashear during the game before chopping him down with his stick like an axe.

I am sure the police must be looking at the video of the whole game to find intent...

• Cheers 1

Wickenheiser calls for neck protection at 'every level' after Johnson's death (msn.com)

Wickenheiser calls for neck protection at 'every level' after Johnson's death

The hockey world is reacting to a tragic on-ice accident and wondering what steps should be taken to prevent it from happening again.

Four-time Olympic gold medallist Hayley Wickenheiser is calling for mandated neck protection at "every level in hockey" after former NHL player Adam Johnson died from a cut by a skate blade during a game in England on Saturday.

Wickenheiser completed medical school after her women's hockey career with Canada and currently works as a doctor and an assistant general manager for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

She says not wearing protection poses far too great a risk, even if it’s not in style.

“I know it may not pass the 'cool' factor but it's time for mandatory neck protection at every level in hockey. The risk is far too great not to,” said Wickenheiser in a post offering her condolences to Johnson's family on X platform, formerly known as Twitter.

Although neck guards are not mandatory in the NHL, the Ontario Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League require players to wear neck guards. It's also obligatory for Hockey Canada players registered in minor or women's hockey.

The Western Hockey League said Monday it is reviewing its position on mandatory neck guards following Johnson's death.

Johnson, a Minnesota native who played 13 NHL games with the Pittsburgh Penguins, was on the ice for the Elite Ice Hockey League’s Nottingham Panthers in a Challenge Cup game against the Sheffield Steelers when he suffered the skate cut during the second period. 

The English Ice Hockey Association, the sport’s governing body in England and Wales, announced Monday that neck guards will be mandatory across all levels of English hockey effective Dec. 31. 

The association noted they can't apply the rules immediately due to supply chain issues.

“Good for them for taking action,” said Vancouver Canucks forward Sam Lafferty. “When we’re kids, we wear neck guards for a reason, it’s something worth looking into (for the NHL).”

Lafferty, a former Penguin, assisted on Johnson’s first and only NHL goal. 

“I remember it clearly … I can still see the look on his face," Lafferty said. "Pure elation, pure joy.”

Several members of the Providence Bruins, Boston's American Hockey League affiliate, wore neck guards in their game against the Springfield Thunderbirds on Sunday.

Lafferty said NHL players may also start thinking about wearing protection in light of his former teammate’s death.

“I think so. We started looking at that for wrists, and the socks we wear underneath our skates, they're cut-proof,” said Lafferty. “I can see that being the next step.”

Canucks defenceman Ian Cole noted the dangers of the sport and said players are "very fortunate" serious injuries don't happen more often.

“There’s skates flying all over the place," he said. “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked at my visor and had a skate slashed right through it and I had no idea a skate was near my face.

“We're a slow sport to change, maybe sometimes for the good, maybe sometimes for the bad. It's not going to happen overnight but I think there will be some conversations about what we can do to prevent stuff like that.”

Winnipeg Jets interim head coach Scott Arniel was a forward for the Buffalo Sabres when his teammate, goalie Clint Malarchuk, took a skate blade to the neck on March 22, 1989.

"I was firsthand and I saw this happen in a game myself, and it's one of the scariest things I've ever seen," Arniel told reporters in Winnipeg. "Where it goes next, I know in minor hockey that it's already a rule and in junior hockey, so we'll see.

"The league is probably going to look into this and they'll make a decision moving forward.”

Malarchuk survived the life-threatening injury but developed post-traumatic stress disorder. Former Montreal Canadiens forward Richard Zednik suffered a similar incident in 2008.

Boston Bruins forward Jakub Lauko avoided a serious injury as recently as last Tuesday when he took a skate blade near his left eye after falling to the ice against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Maple Leafs captain John Tavares said he’s thought about the use of neck protection before and suggested it might be a next step in making the game safer.

"At one point goalies weren't wearing helmets, and the game has evolved and continues to get safer and safer,” Tavares told reporters in Toronto. “That’s certainly probably an aspect that needs to continue to be looked at further, as one incident like that is too many."

Canadiens head coach Martin St. Louis, who coached his sons in Connecticut before taking the Montreal job, was close to a similar situation when 16-year-old high school player Teddy Balkind died in Greenwich, Conn., after his neck was cut by another player’s skate.

St. Louis said he’s strongly in favour of requiring under-18 and under-20 players to wear neck protection, but isn’t sure we’ll see it in the NHL.

"Maybe yes, but I don't think it will in the NHL, but that's my opinion," said St. Louis. "I'd be really in favour of under-18 and under-20-year-olds having more protection because accidents happen, especially having been close to it two years ago."

Jets centre Mark Scheifele expects there to be many conversations about increased neck protection in the coming days, much like after Edmonton Oilers forward Evander Kane sustained a severe wrist injury due to a skate blade cut last year.

"When Evander Kane got his wrist cut, we obviously evaluated more wrist protections and stuff like that,” Scheifele said. “I'm sure there's going to be talks about it and it'll come down to kind of more of an individual decision on what to do."

The NHL and NHLPA had not made any announcements regarding protective neck gear as of Monday afternoon.

• Cheers 1

Who is Matt Petgrave, the other player involved in Adam Johnson's death? (msn.com)

Who is Matt Petgrave, the other player involved in Adam Johnson's death?

Police in England continue to investigate the death of Nottingham Panthers forward Adam Johnson, a former Pittsburgh Penguins player who was killed Saturday during an Elite Ice Hockey League game.

Johnson died after his throat was slit by an errant skate blade in a collision with Sheffield Steelers defenseman Matt Petgrave.

As police continue to investigate Johnson’s death, here’s what you need to know about Petgrave.

What was Petgrave’s role in the incident?

Johnson was cutting into the offensive zone on a routine play. Petgrave went to finish his check on Johnson, lost his footing, and his skates ended up slicing Johnson’s neck. Johnson was removed from the game immediately as trainers attempted to stop the bleeding. The game was stopped and fans were eventually asked to leave.

Johnson received emergency treatment on the ice before being taken to Sheffield's Northern General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Nottingham confirmed Johnson’s death Sunday morning.

What has happened to Petgrave since?

Petgrave was not made available to the media and is reportedly "absolutely distraught" over the incident.

The 31-year-old Toronto native has been subject to death threats and abuse, particularly from right-wing social media accounts calling for Petgrave to be charged with manslaughter despite Nottingham and the EIHL describing the collision as a "freak accident."

Petgrave is Black and has been subject to immense racial abuse since Johnson's death. He has protected his Twitter account.

What has Petgrave’s hockey career been like?

Petgrave was a stellar defenseman in the Ontario Hockey League, playing five seasons with the Niagara IceDogs, Owen Sound Attack and Oshawa Generals before moving onto a four-year career with the University of New Brunswick. Although he proved capable of providing secondary offense with a physical presence at the OHL level, Petgrave was never selected by an NHL team.

Petgrave spent two seasons with the ECHL’s Brampton Beast, then inched one step closer to the NHL during the 2017-18 season, spending 15 games with three AHL teams while primarily featuring with Brampton. The veteran defenseman made stops in Slovakia and Czechia’s respective pro leagues before joining Sheffield last season.

Petgrave recorded nine goals and 48 points for Sheffield during the 2022-23 campaign.

Definitely a change in momentum when his skate comes up but I can’t see the guy intentionally using his skate as a weapon to stop the guy from getting into the zone. Proper investigation needs to be done. I don’t like the people calling the guy out as a murderer. He’s an idiot on the ice sure. 

• Cheers 2

@Sabrefan1 As an American, what do you think of the above article?  Notice what I bolded.  Right wing social media accounts.  That's interesting.  I mean I don't follow too much of the bs down south, but am I a right wing nazi sympathizer for thinking Petgrave's sidekick kung-fu style kick to Johnson's neck was intentional?  Is this what the mainstream media is going with?  

No wonder I turned off the news years ago and only get my stuff from outside sources.  They even are bringing race into the equation as Petgrave is black.

I can see now where this is going to go.

Noticeably absent from the article is the fact that Petgrave has a history in the UK of abusing officials on the ice, was suspended by the league for spearing another opponent, and is the player in the league with the most penalty minutes.

Not everyone appears to be a fan of Sheffield Steelers star Matt Petgrave (thestar.co.uk)

He has been booted out of two out of the last four games, for abuse of officials (against Coventry Blaze) and alleged spearing (Manchester Storm,) and is Sheffield's top penalty-minute taker (71 in 11 games.)

Across the EIHL regular league, as a whole, nobody comes close to his penalty minutes tally.

He also was fined and suspended when he played in the ECHL...

ECHL announces fine, suspension | ECHL

The ECHL on Sunday announced that Brampton’s Matt Petgrave has been suspended indefinitely and fined an undisclosed amount as a result of his actions in ECHL Game #963, Brampton at Kalamazoo, on April 7.

Petgrave is fined and suspended under Rule #28 – Supplementary Discipline as a result of his actions at 3:46 of the third period.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petgrave was not made available to the media and is reportedly "absolutely distraught" over the incident.

The 31-year-old Toronto native has been subject to death threats and abuse, particularly from right-wing social media accounts calling for Petgrave to be charged with manslaughter despite Nottingham and the EIHL describing the collision as a "freak accident."

I mean...have we really gone and verified the political leanings of those who may think manslaughter charges are appropriate?  Can't they just report on the incident without this kind of stuff?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I mean...have we really gone and verified the political leanings of those who may think manslaughter charges are appropriate?  Can't they just report on the incident without this kind of stuff?

That was my exact thinking.  My timeline on X is literally flooded with people who are calling this manslaughter, and I don't really follow any right-wing extremists on X.  So, I thought this article was quite interesting.  Obviously, the mainstream media has already picked a side for political reasons, and they are running with it and are now going to go after anyone who thinks against their narrative.  Which is the exact reason why I don't watch the news anymore...

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Racists are using an ice hockey star's freak death to spread hate (msn.com)

Racists are using an ice hockey star's freak death to spread hate

‘Vile’ social media trolls are targeting a Black ice hockey player who accidentally killed American athlete Adam Johnson.

Johnson, 29, who played for UK team Nottingham Panthers, died Sunday after Sheffield Steelers star Matt Petgrave’s skate cut his throat in a ‘freak accident’.

Petgrave, from Toronto, Canada, crashed into one of Johnson’s teammates during the Saturday match, footage showed.

The collision appeared to throw him off balance and cause him to raise his leg into the air towards the Minnesota native.

There has been no suggestion Petgrave did anything wrong, with police stressing that an investigation into Johnson’s death is ‘normal procedure’.

Yet in ‘sickening’ posts on X, formerly known as Twitter, users accused Petgrave of being a ‘murderer’ before declaring ‘White lives matter’ or ‘Keep hockey white’.

One called the accident ‘anti-white terrorism’ as others used racist language to describe Petgrave.

Fans of Johnson and Petgrave see otherwise, however. Whether at a makeshift shrine for Johnson outside the Panthers’ Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham or online, people are making it clear that abuse against Petgrave is ‘disgusting’.

Speaking at the tribute lined by bouquets of flowers and ’47’ mugs – Johnson’s jersey number – fan Tina Taylor pleaded for the ‘awful trolling’ to stop.

She told The Telegraph: ‘[Petgrave] was absolutely distraught by the death of an opponent but it was a tragic accident and he was not to blame.’

Countless users on X echoed this, with Barnsley local Charlie Harvey saying: ‘The amount of hate and abuse Matt Petgrave is receiving is sickening!

‘A freak accident doesn’t give people the right to give abuse and harassment to any human!’

Samantha, from Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, added: ‘The hatred and racism being directed at Matt Petgrave is absolutely disgusting.

‘There is no way that what happened with Adam Johnson was done with any intent whatsoever.’

Ian Braisby, a Panthers fan from Birmingham, said on X: ‘I really hope Matt Petgrave is getting the support he needs. Can’t imagine what that poor guy must be going through.’

He was replying to a post sharing a Change.org petition signed by more than 4,600 people calling for the mandated use of neck guards for ice hockey players.

South Yorkshire Police, which was called to the Utilita Arena in Sheffield on the night of the incident, said officers have launched an investigation.

A force spokesperson added: ‘Our officers remain at the scene carrying out inquiries.

‘Our investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident remains ongoing.

‘We would encourage the public to avoid speculation regarding the incident while we continue our inquiries.’

The Nottingham Panthers, a professional ice hockey club, said in a tribute that the team is ‘truly devastated to announce that Adam Johnson has tragically passed away following a freak accident’.

‘Adam, our number 47, was not only an outstanding ice hockey player but also a great teammate and an incredible person with his whole life ahead of him. The Club will dearly miss him and will never ever forget him,’ the club’s statement added.

Johnson’s partner Ryan Wolfe reportedly ran into the rink moments after the injury.

In a tribute on Instagram today, she said: ‘My sweet sweet angel. I’ll miss you forever and love you always.’

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Sabrefan1 As an American, what do you think of the above article?  Notice what I bolded.  Right wing social media accounts.  That's interesting.  I mean I don't follow too much of the bs down south, but am I a right wing nazi sympathizer for thinking Petgrave's sidekick kung-fu style kick to Johnson's neck was intentional?  Is this what the mainstream media is going with?  

No wonder I turned off the news years ago and only get my stuff from outside sources.  They even are bringing race into the equation as Petgrave is black.

I can see now where this is going to go.

Noticeably absent from the article is the fact that Petgrave has a history in the UK of abusing officials on the ice, was suspended by the league for spearing another opponent, and is the player in the league with the most penalty minutes.

Not everyone appears to be a fan of Sheffield Steelers star Matt Petgrave (thestar.co.uk)

He has been booted out of two out of the last four games, for abuse of officials (against Coventry Blaze) and alleged spearing (Manchester Storm,) and is Sheffield's top penalty-minute taker (71 in 11 games.)

Across the EIHL regular league, as a whole, nobody comes close to his penalty minutes tally.

He also was fined and suspended when he played in the ECHL...

ECHL announces fine, suspension | ECHL

The ECHL on Sunday announced that Brampton’s Matt Petgrave has been suspended indefinitely and fined an undisclosed amount as a result of his actions in ECHL Game #963, Brampton at Kalamazoo, on April 7.

Petgrave is fined and suspended under Rule #28 – Supplementary Discipline as a result of his actions at 3:46 of the third period.

Everybody has an agenda.  It isn't a white or black issue no matter who wants it to be.  It wasn't a freak accident either. 

It will be up to both the police and then, if it makes it that far, the crown prosecutor to decide if the crime rises to the standard of manslaughter.  It's not our country, so there isn't much anyone of us can do about it.  Same goes with the NA media.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crimson JH said:

I didn’t know Petgrave was also part of the Canucks organisation… 

IMG_4292.thumb.jpeg.8eecd80538b2853fbc0a471ebb7ded01.jpeg

Was he one of the PTOs for Utica the year they ran through like 20 defensemen?

Incredibly horrific incident that at the very least was completely reckless, but I'll hold judgement on further guilt until we hear from the investigation. Truly what nightmares are made of. If I'm one of Johnson's teammates I couldn't imagine the thought of getting back on the ice for their next game.

• Cheers 1

First time posting but been following the old and new boards for some time. I have lived in Sheffield for the past 21 years and have frequently been to see the Steelers play - especially against the Panthers. I only missed this game due to a friend's birthday party. Luckily my kids missed it too.

It has taken me a while before I've been able to post anything. This has hit the local community hard. There's a lot of disbelief that this could happen in our barn.

First and foremost thoughts and prayers are with AJs family, friends and team mates. Thoughts are also with all those who were there. Hockey here is very much a family thing. Especially games against the Panthers. Kids usually makeup a quarter to a third of the 8000 plus fans on a Saturday night. This isn't full bush league in terms of support. It is hockey played  in front of enthusiastic crowds with professional teams and staff. Two of the best funded teams in the U.K.

What was amazing was the reaction of the trainer's and doctors as well as the trauma nurses and doctors who were there as fans who ran straight down from the stands. Northern General hospital isn't far from the arena too so he was in the best hands possible. The hospital is one of the best in the region serving the 575,000 people who live in Sheffield but also the majority of the 1.4 million people in South Yorkshire as a main emergency hub.

To put some things into perspective if I can, although I'm not sure if I will given my mental state:

Matt Petgrave - can't imagine how he is feeling. I can't see how he will ever play again, and I hope he has good people around him supporting him. I appreciate it was reckless/or an extremely unfortunate accident however you see it... but no-one would intentionally want to put a skate in someone's throat. Yes the police are investigating it but that is standard procedure. They have not as yet escalated it to a manslaughter or murder inquiry that I'm aware of. They are simply doing their due diligence to assess if this should be upgraded, and to make sure insurances can be filled properly (and to cover themselves if they get sued). There may also be a case whereby the league or team are negligent and could be dragged in. Again that is unlikely but is still a possibility under our health and safety at work regulations.

There has been right wing extremist threats to Matt in this country - not thousands - but enough. And from known sources. But they are largely dealt with swiftly. I use the word extremist to highlight those who have overtly used race to target Matt. This is not those who think it may constitute manslaughter due to his actions.

Matt has been a hard nosed player for Steelers - so yes he has a long disciplinary records. He could definitely hold his tongue more. But Steelers lacked any sort of physicality or pushback last year. He took a lot of that on himself.

This is not to excuse him. Just a bit of context I hope.

In terms of any history or anything between the two players in the match - Steelers Vs Panthers is a local derby where emotions always run high. I went to the preseason game between the 2 in Sheffield with my 7 year old - again a packed arena. There were plenty of hits, and fights. But nothing personal between the teams. I should imagine the same on Saturday night - and I've not been told any differently by those who were there. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm certainly not going to sit watching and rewatching the video. I simply can't. I know of people who had severe anxiety and panic attacks whilst leaving the arena. It is a deeply disturbing event and feels far to close to home.

I'd like to steer my part of the conversation to those who will read this and need to talk. There is plenty of support around and a lot has been set up immediately following Saturday's game.

What I hope is that the people in attendance on Saturday will be able to return to the rink, that the players that were there are able to play again, and that the kids in attendance still love the game and want to play.

R.I.P AJ. 

Peace to you all

• Thanks 2